Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@rivergirl8243

I was told I had spinal stenosis and i need surgery, but I traveled to mayo for a second option and was told no I didn't need surgery.
I have never considered a chiropractor or massage therapy,. it is difficult to walk, I'm so tired, but don't sleep well

Jump to this post

Did Mayo tell you anything to do about this?

In reply to @rivergirl8243 "not sure yet" + (show)
@rivergirl8243

not sure yet

Jump to this post

@rivergirl8243, I meant for you to click this link https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/i-came-in-here-because-i-suffer-from-spinal-stenosis/
There you will find other members talking about spinal stenosis and treatment options besides surgery.

@rivergirl8243

I was told I had spinal stenosis and i need surgery, but I traveled to mayo for a second option and was told no I didn't need surgery.
I have never considered a chiropractor or massage therapy,. it is difficult to walk, I'm so tired, but don't sleep well

Jump to this post

Hello @rivergirl8243,

I was just wondering since Mayo did not advise you to have surgery, did they offer you any other suggestions or therapies that might help your pain?

@ellens

Did Mayo tell you anything to do about this?

Jump to this post

no, just sent me home

@rivergirl8243

sounds nice where is it 70?

Jump to this post

Duluth, MN. Yes we get a lot of snow but I used to live in MT and was the coldest there than I have ever been in my life. That was during the '80s. Maybe global warming has changed things.

@sueinmn

I just finished my morning walk - I thought it would be a short one due to the high humidity & rising temps, but there was a lovely breeze so I walked for over an hour - to and around a local lake, then a short tramp through the woods and back to the walking trail.

The high point was watching an eagle "playing" over the lake by chasing all the ducks - they flew into the shelter of the reeds and brush near shore. The eagle circled once again while cheering vocally for himself and flew back to his nest!

I also did my grounding exercise - "five things for my five senses." Today I'll tell you about what I heard - the eagle, a man mowing his lawn, the varying sounds of gravel, acorns & sticks under my feet, the distant hum of traffic and the birds calling to one another. And what I felt - the breeze on my skin, the warmth of the sun, the coolness of the shade, the ease of my body being able to speed up and slow down at will, and the coolness of water sliding down my throat.

What are you seeing, hearing, feeling or smelling on your walk today? (we'll save tasting for after your walk)

Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn This is great! Thank you. I will start doing this grounding exercise.

@alamogal635

@sueinmn This is great! Thank you. I will start doing this grounding exercise.

Jump to this post

@alamogal635 I use it other times too - like while sewing or gardening, if I am working through something in my mind and start obsessing, or if I can't sleep at night...
My girls started it with my 4 yo grandson who is suffering mightily from Covid having upended his young life. We use it, massage, and whispered conversations to "bring him down" on tough days. My older daughter used it to get through 68 days of Covid & post-Covid illness, and 101 days away from her workplace.
Sue

Just starting, but it is a calming technique.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.