Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@becsbuddy

I really get some energy from reading all about the walks you take and the sights you see, @ellens. I just haven’t been feeling well enough to walk anywhere! And, today the temps are only in the 70s!
Keep it up!!!

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy, Well dang! Becky, I hope you'll be feeling much better soon! Today was not a scheduled "walking day" but maybe visualizing this experience will cheer you a bit. Earlier today, Precious and I sat by the picture window and watched fascinated as 3 baby squirrels played together. They were adorable! Tumbling over each, chasing up the tree and down again, all three drinking from the water feeder. I fuss about squirrels generally because they are famous for burying pecans which once sprouted have roots that reach to China. Have never seen little ones play together and it was a treat. Also likewise celebrating that our 100 degree temps have dropped into the 90s and early mornings are cooler too. Has to be a promise that Fall is coming, right? Another off the cuff observation I'm making is that I've become so acclimated to being home most of the time that although I don't fear going out, there just isn't place, other than the occasional nearby park for walks, that I want to leave the house for. Wonder if that is just me or if others are discovering something like this as well? Don't feel like a recluse but would think I'd be more eager than I'm finding? Are you or any others you know experiencing anything like this? I may just be a stranger monkey than I'd first thought. Smiles and feel better.

@rivergirl8243

the temp here is over 100, I push myself, to keep moving.

Jump to this post

After two weeks of 90+ heat it's finally down to the 80s today, so I had an extra long walk. I bit the bullet and went to the chiropractor. He said one side of my hip was lower than the other. He made some adjustments. My legs didn't hurt that much. Have to go back next week. Not looking for miracle, just a little relief. Hope everyone have a nice weekend.

@rivergirl8243

the temp here is over 100, I push myself, to keep moving.

Jump to this post

Hey Rivergirl, be careful in those temps! Enjoy the weekend.

@fiesty76

@becsbuddy, Well dang! Becky, I hope you'll be feeling much better soon! Today was not a scheduled "walking day" but maybe visualizing this experience will cheer you a bit. Earlier today, Precious and I sat by the picture window and watched fascinated as 3 baby squirrels played together. They were adorable! Tumbling over each, chasing up the tree and down again, all three drinking from the water feeder. I fuss about squirrels generally because they are famous for burying pecans which once sprouted have roots that reach to China. Have never seen little ones play together and it was a treat. Also likewise celebrating that our 100 degree temps have dropped into the 90s and early mornings are cooler too. Has to be a promise that Fall is coming, right? Another off the cuff observation I'm making is that I've become so acclimated to being home most of the time that although I don't fear going out, there just isn't place, other than the occasional nearby park for walks, that I want to leave the house for. Wonder if that is just me or if others are discovering something like this as well? Don't feel like a recluse but would think I'd be more eager than I'm finding? Are you or any others you know experiencing anything like this? I may just be a stranger monkey than I'd first thought. Smiles and feel better.

Jump to this post

I understand not venturing too far away from home and since my children are in Maryland and Florida, although I miss them tons, I know that I don’t get to go. I do find myself driving to the Mississippi River towns just to sit by the “Mighty”, eat my lunch or snack or read a book and let my mind float away. Then it’s back home and the peace and quiet of my backyard. I’ve had some friends over now and then just to get in real face to face, however that is not the scene everyday. Just remember to be kind to yourself and find an ice cream treats once in awhile.

@fiesty76

Oh, Darn it all, @lioness, This? after I just spent an hour choosing which hat, sunglasses pr, and mask I'd don..figured no one could identify me on my "coming out naked day". Shoot, Linda, at least it was fun choosing the Best incognito gear!

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 LOL Why don't you just wear your bikini !

@mayofeb2020

After two weeks of 90+ heat it's finally down to the 80s today, so I had an extra long walk. I bit the bullet and went to the chiropractor. He said one side of my hip was lower than the other. He made some adjustments. My legs didn't hurt that much. Have to go back next week. Not looking for miracle, just a little relief. Hope everyone have a nice weekend.

Jump to this post

@mayofeb2020 Funny I went to my chiropractor today also had sciatica problem on the right side ,so resting it today, tomorrow I will get out and walk in evening ,cooler then

@lioness. Great minds think alike! I had sciatica once. It came about when i was reaching into the shopping cart to put my groceries onto the conveyor belt, i could not straighten up. The store had to load the groceries into my car and helped me get in. Very embarrassing. Hope you feel better soon.

@jude07

Hey Rivergirl, be careful in those temps! Enjoy the weekend.

Jump to this post

thanks

@sueinmn

@fiesty76 - Isn't it wonderful to finally be connecting? Husband & I are headed out now for 2 'ventures - walking to the local baseball field with our grandsons, who love playing in the now-unused dugout & on the bleachers. After we return them to Mom & Dad, who are trying to work from home, we will head to our local park and throw a game of disc golf, then go to Dairy Queen.
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn, Sounds like a double/triple pleasure day...can't leave out the Dairy Queen treat! lol Was unfamiliar with the disc golf game you mentioned. Dr. Google provided photos. Looks like fun!

@jude07

I understand not venturing too far away from home and since my children are in Maryland and Florida, although I miss them tons, I know that I don’t get to go. I do find myself driving to the Mississippi River towns just to sit by the “Mighty”, eat my lunch or snack or read a book and let my mind float away. Then it’s back home and the peace and quiet of my backyard. I’ve had some friends over now and then just to get in real face to face, however that is not the scene everyday. Just remember to be kind to yourself and find an ice cream treats once in awhile.

Jump to this post

@jude07 Sounds lovely! Peace and quiet and ice cream treats are savored here as well!!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.