Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@ellens

I live on the hillside in Duluth and I get most of my exercise walking down to do errands and then lugging my loot back uphill, about 6 blocks down and then making like a pack mule back up. I can watch beautiful Lake Superior all the way down and sidewalk back up.

Jump to this post

@ellens We miss Duluth! It is usually a family trip each summer, with a motel stay, favorite restaurants, hiking, train ride, trip to play in the Lake ... a 'venture for my 4 yo grandson. Aah, perhaps next year.
Sue

I get it! I grew up in southern MN and a couple of times in the '50s my family took a drive up the North Shore to escape the awful heat and humidity. I think that with global warming the temperatures up here have gone up from the old days. It's still much better than the southern part of the state. I lived in the Rockies for 40 years and knew that some day I'd return to Lake Superior. I've been here only two years.

@jakedduck1

@ellens
Surly you have a driveway up the hill to your house? I don’t imagine you leave your car out to get snowed on. Do you just park at the bottom of the hill so you can get some exercise? Six blocks holy smokes.
Jake

Jump to this post

There are streets up to my house's level. I have a parking pad behind my house I use when there's no snow but otherwise I park on the street like most of my neighbors. This is a pretty old neighborhood; my house was built in 1903-5. I choose to walk down the hill to the stores unless I have to buy heavy stuff like cat litter and then I crank up my elderly 1992 Camry. I try to walk as much as possible. A hill climb does give me double points!

@ellens

There are streets up to my house's level. I have a parking pad behind my house I use when there's no snow but otherwise I park on the street like most of my neighbors. This is a pretty old neighborhood; my house was built in 1903-5. I choose to walk down the hill to the stores unless I have to buy heavy stuff like cat litter and then I crank up my elderly 1992 Camry. I try to walk as much as possible. A hill climb does give me double points!

Jump to this post

Duluth is so serene and calming. I walk up two hills everyday on my walk, however nothing like yours - you definitely deserve double points.

So, you live in Duluth, too! I moved here from a small (8-9000) town in Montana. I'm not crazy about driving up on Big Box Hill--the traffic gets kind of "pushy" up there. I much prefer to walk especially down to the lake--now THAT is serene and calming for me. Chester Creek runs 1-1/2 blocks from my house and I walked there today but it was crowded with people without masks. I was carrying one in my pocket and put it on when people came along.

@ellens

So, you live in Duluth, too! I moved here from a small (8-9000) town in Montana. I'm not crazy about driving up on Big Box Hill--the traffic gets kind of "pushy" up there. I much prefer to walk especially down to the lake--now THAT is serene and calming for me. Chester Creek runs 1-1/2 blocks from my house and I walked there today but it was crowded with people without masks. I was carrying one in my pocket and put it on when people came along.

Jump to this post

Happy to report that temps were lower today on my early walk in a nearby park. I'd not walked in this park before and was delighted to meet a couple, also wearing masks. The hubby was alonside his wife in her motorized wheelchair and we discovered that we shared a friend couple in common. So nice to converse with others and a bonus that we found something more than a walk and experiencing fresh air in common.

@fiesty76

Happy to report that temps were lower today on my early walk in a nearby park. I'd not walked in this park before and was delighted to meet a couple, also wearing masks. The hubby was alonside his wife in her motorized wheelchair and we discovered that we shared a friend couple in common. So nice to converse with others and a bonus that we found something more than a walk and experiencing fresh air in common.

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 - Isn't it wonderful to finally be connecting? Husband & I are headed out now for 2 'ventures - walking to the local baseball field with our grandsons, who love playing in the now-unused dugout & on the bleachers. After we return them to Mom & Dad, who are trying to work from home, we will head to our local park and throw a game of disc golf, then go to Dairy Queen.
Sue

@jude07

Duluth is so serene and calming. I walk up two hills everyday on my walk, however nothing like yours - you definitely deserve double points.

Jump to this post

Yesterday I took a walk along Chester Creek and got as far as a parking lot across the water. I was appalled to run into LOTS of people who were not using masks or social distancing. I carry a mask and put it on when I see people coming. It's like they don't get it. Most of them are college student age walking around in their clumps of people. We had a COVID spike in July and the ages were 6-20 approximately.

@ellens

Jump to this post

I really get some energy from reading all about the walks you take and the sights you see, @ellens. I just haven’t been feeling well enough to walk anywhere! And, today the temps are only in the 70s!
Keep it up!!!

the temp here is over 100, I push myself, to keep moving.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.