Kidney stones and drinking 80 to 100 ounces daily.

Posted by deyo5656 @deyo5656, Jan 2, 2023

I’ve had kidney stones removed and was told to drink 80 to 100 ounces of liquids daily. I find it impossible to drink that much, but can only drink half that amount or less. Anybody else out there with the same problems?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Kidney & Bladder Support Group.

Yes I also have that issue. I try to start drinking as soon as I get up. I only have 1 functioning kidney and I am a stone former. I cannot risk getting a blockage in my kidney. It is easier to drink more in hot weather and I try to drink other things in addition to water like crystal light . My problem is I get busy and forget and an hour or 2 will pass before I remember. Also I have to be aware of how close I am to a bathroom . The most I have been able to drink consistantly is 64 oz. Just keep trying and don't forget some of the foods you eat have a fluid content also.

When I was told I had or could get kidney stones, I was told to drink Lemonade and Raspberry Lemonade. Now I drink water and Vitamin water with either 5 or 0 calories. Plus some other juices.

@lizzy123

Yes I also have that issue. I try to start drinking as soon as I get up. I only have 1 functioning kidney and I am a stone former. I cannot risk getting a blockage in my kidney. It is easier to drink more in hot weather and I try to drink other things in addition to water like crystal light . My problem is I get busy and forget and an hour or 2 will pass before I remember. Also I have to be aware of how close I am to a bathroom . The most I have been able to drink consistantly is 64 oz. Just keep trying and don't forget some of the foods you eat have a fluid content also.

Jump to this post

Introducing soups as part of a meal may help.

Introducing soups as part of a meal may help. Also, you get liquid from fruits and vegetables.

@deyo5656
Jeez, that’s a lot of liquid. I can’t drink that much. I think I'd drown if I drank that much. I’ve had 8 kidney stones. I use to take potassium citrate which I believe is considered the gold standard to prevent stones but I quit taking it.
I drink orange juice every day to take my iron pill. It increases citrate. I haven’t had a stone since.
Best wishes,
Jake

@luftmensh1

Introducing soups as part of a meal may help.

Jump to this post

@luftmensh1
Soups can be a great part of. your diet, but soups in general contain high sodium content. So reduced sodium soups are the better choice in my opinion. Make sure as well that potassium chloride is not added. With canned soup, watch the label and it may be better to have one cup rather than the entire can.

@jakedduck1

@deyo5656
Jeez, that’s a lot of liquid. I can’t drink that much. I think I'd drown if I drank that much. I’ve had 8 kidney stones. I use to take potassium citrate which I believe is considered the gold standard to prevent stones but I quit taking it.
I drink orange juice every day to take my iron pill. It increases citrate. I haven’t had a stone since.
Best wishes,
Jake

Jump to this post

Is potassium citrate Crystal Light lemonade?

@deyo5656

When I was told I had or could get kidney stones, I was told to drink Lemonade and Raspberry Lemonade. Now I drink water and Vitamin water with either 5 or 0 calories. Plus some other juices.

Jump to this post

I forgot to mention that I was told to drink Crystal Light lemonade, Raspberry Lemonade and regular Crystal Light lemonade.

@deyo5656 You've gotten some great responses here! Like you, I would be hard-pressed to drink that much fluid in a day. Each morning I have a 16 ounce glass of crushed ice and water, that has a packet of "True Lemon" in it, crystallized lemon, that wakes my system up!

If you are prone to kidney stones, it may be good to find out what kind you have, and how to deal with them. My father had several in his life, some were very painful. I recall him drinking a lot of cranberry juice. At the bottom of this post is an article from Mayo Clinic, that talks about the four main types of kidney stones, and may be of use to you on your journey.

Liquids, from a kidney/bladder standpoint, can be anything that is liquid at room temperature, including frozen items. For example, ice, or ice cream. Soups, sauces, fruits and vegetables also contain liquid and can be counted towards the fluid total. In my own personal opinion, do the best you can, that's all you can do! While a doctor may tell you a high amount like that, you can only do what you can do.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/kidney-stones/symptoms-causes/syc-20355755

If you have kidney disease, be sure to look at the label of the Crystal light. You want to be sure you are not getting too much potassium, phosporous [in the form of anything phosphate], or sodium.
Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns?
Ginger

Thank you for your comments. One thing though I was wondering about was phosphate or phosphorous. What is that? I understood about potassium or salt.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.