Kidney stones and drinking 80 to 100 ounces daily.

Posted by deyo5656 @deyo5656, Jan 2, 2023

I’ve had kidney stones removed and was told to drink 80 to 100 ounces of liquids daily. I find it impossible to drink that much, but can only drink half that amount or less. Anybody else out there with the same problems?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Kidney & Bladder Support Group.

@deyo5656

Thank you for your comments. One thing though I was wondering about was phosphate or phosphorous. What is that? I understood about potassium or salt.

Jump to this post

@deyo5656 Here is what Mayo Clinic says about the importance of watching your phosphorous in a kidney diet. Usually, that means cutting out carbonated drinks, a top source of phosphorous. and limiting dairy products.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chronic-kidney-disease/expert-answers/food-and-nutrition/faq-20058408#:~:text=Healthy%20kidneys%20remove%20extra%20phosphorus,joint%20pain%20and%20even%20death.
Ginger

Hi I have seen so many doctors and are skeptical of many. Obviously drinking a lot of water in the morning is good for you. however, hydration does seem to be the key.

I received a transplant from my sister in 1990 and I drink way more than I should. Sometimes like two bottles of white wine or more. It’s been 33 years and the worst part is borne raised in Phx with skin cancer. My creatinine is stable at 1.01 so that nephrology condition does not affect me so much except for the skin cancer type stuff

@jakedduck1

@deyo5656
Jeez, that’s a lot of liquid. I can’t drink that much. I think I'd drown if I drank that much. I’ve had 8 kidney stones. I use to take potassium citrate which I believe is considered the gold standard to prevent stones but I quit taking it.
I drink orange juice every day to take my iron pill. It increases citrate. I haven’t had a stone since.
Best wishes,
Jake

Jump to this post

How much OJ needed to prevent stones?

@mom2204

How much OJ needed to prevent stones?

Jump to this post

I agree with you too much water intake can wash out electrolytes especially sodium

@mom2204
I’m not really sure. At 7 AM. I drink one cup to take my pills with so my iron will be absorbed better. Also, I drink some if I am eating meat since it contains iron. I donate blood products at the Red Cross every two weeks so I try to keep my hemoglobin up, if something has iron in it I drink orange juice. For breakfast sometimes I eat a cereal that contains 100% of your daily amount of iron and instead of milk I put orange juice (or anything with vitamin C) on it for better absorption. I tried taking Vit C pills but the vitamin C containing food and juice worked better. I don’t actually use orange juice I use more of a orange drink, it also has fewer calories and lower cost, which is a benefit for me.
Orange juice increases levels of citrate in the urine and decreases urine acidity, which reduced the risk of kidney stones. My stones have all been Calcium, the most common. My doctor also told me not to take things like tums or calcium-based things like that
I believe someone mentioned something about drinking cranberry juice. When I had a kidney stone and went to the hospital, When I had a kidney stone and went to the hospital, I told the doctor “it’s a good thing I’ve been drinking cranberry juice.” he told me the only thing cranberry juice does is make you fat.
But if you do have repeated kidney stones, I would ask your doctor for a prescription of potassium citrate or whatever your doctor thinks might work bes. I guess the potassiums is not a good thing if you have kidney problems. I think @gingerw might have mentioned that.
Take care,
Jake

@bdaniels3434

I received a transplant from my sister in 1990 and I drink way more than I should. Sometimes like two bottles of white wine or more. It’s been 33 years and the worst part is borne raised in Phx with skin cancer. My creatinine is stable at 1.01 so that nephrology condition does not affect me so much except for the skin cancer type stuff

Jump to this post

@bdaniels3434 Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect.

Congratulations on the transplant you received so many years ago! You've done your sister proud, and wow! can you imagine how procedures have changed over those 30 years!

Do you continue to take anti-rejection medications? It has been proven that those of us with a lower immune system are more prone to skin cancers. Everyday use of sunscreen and being careful of exposure can go a long way to help avoiding problems. Of course, our genetics play a part, plus lifestyle, and definitely living in the southwest.
Ginger

@collegeprof

@luftmensh1
Soups can be a great part of. your diet, but soups in general contain high sodium content. So reduced sodium soups are the better choice in my opinion. Make sure as well that potassium chloride is not added. With canned soup, watch the label and it may be better to have one cup rather than the entire can.

Jump to this post

I was thinking of homemade soups, to which I never add salt. I recently made a pot of chicken soup using chicken breast bones, which are sold in a kosher market. I used the bones of 4 chicken breasts, to which I added a few cut-up carrots, parsnips, celery stalks, garlic cloves, a medium-to-large sweet onion, fresh dill and parsley. Instead of using water, I cover the ingredients with low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, bring to a boil, and then simmer for an hour. (I actually used a quart of low-sodium chicken broth, three 8-ounce cups of low sodium vegetable broth, and 1 cup of water.) I serve it with the vegetables, which have absorbed the flavor of the soup, except for the dill and parsley, which were pretty bedraggled. So far, my husband and I have each had three bowls of this soup, and it looks as though we may each have another one or two bowls left. You can add spices if you like. My friend throws the bones away afterward, but I found there was at least a half-pound of chicken on the bones, from which I can make a stir-fry or chicken salad. The soup can be made with water as well. It's true that chickens are salted with kosher salt as part of the koshering process, but this is always rinsed off.

@deyo5656
Crystal Light Lemonade contains potassium citrate but I was referring to a prescription medication.
A urologist once told me lemonade was the “gold standard” for preventing kidney stones. Perhaps because of the potassium citrate.
Take care,
Jake

Please sign in or register to post a reply.