Chronic Microvascular Ischemic Disease

Posted by JanaShay13 @janashay13, Oct 2, 2022

I just had a brain mri in August of 2022 and i was diagnose with Chronic Microvascular Ischemic but i had it 10yrs ago but it has increase since then. I'm drooping things I have memory loss and forgetting with right side weakness and dumbness. My Neuro said I had small stroke (TIA) I just turn 50 in August. I'm very scared right now and very confused.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Stroke & Cerebrovascular Diseases Support Group.

I also have chronic microvascular disease, In English what does " Subcortical and periventricular white matter T2/FLAIR signal abnormality in keeping with sequela of chronic ischemic microvascular change" Mean? At what stage of the disease? location? What? Neurology consultation with Scott Speelziek, M.D. end of December, hear anything about him? I have been asked to join Mayo Clinic's Tapestry Study, Tapestry: Genomic Sequencing in Clinical Practice. I don't know why they chose me. What the hack. it only helps me or maybe someone else.

@cutlermax

I also have chronic microvascular disease, In English what does " Subcortical and periventricular white matter T2/FLAIR signal abnormality in keeping with sequela of chronic ischemic microvascular change" Mean? At what stage of the disease? location? What? Neurology consultation with Scott Speelziek, M.D. end of December, hear anything about him? I have been asked to join Mayo Clinic's Tapestry Study, Tapestry: Genomic Sequencing in Clinical Practice. I don't know why they chose me. What the hack. it only helps me or maybe someone else.

Jump to this post

I have CMVD as well. From researching my own situation it appears that the areas affected in your situation (similar to my own) are associated with memory, balance, and mobility. Are you symptomatic? The second part of the statement just indicated that it is an ongoing process, which is to be expected with this disease. Have you had more than one MRI? Subsequent MRI's can show any progression of the disease. In my case they are able to quantify the number of lacunar strokes due to the CMVD. It will be interesting to see what they say at your consultation, please keep us posted. Good luck!

@keithl56

I have CMVD as well. From researching my own situation it appears that the areas affected in your situation (similar to my own) are associated with memory, balance, and mobility. Are you symptomatic? The second part of the statement just indicated that it is an ongoing process, which is to be expected with this disease. Have you had more than one MRI? Subsequent MRI's can show any progression of the disease. In my case they are able to quantify the number of lacunar strokes due to the CMVD. It will be interesting to see what they say at your consultation, please keep us posted. Good luck!

Jump to this post

Thank you for your response. I have been feeling a bit alone about this. I don't know what to expect. Yes, symptomatic. I have 3 MRI progressions shown. I'm 60 years old. What is a worst-case scenario? My consultation is not until the end of December. I don't know how serious this is. I have applied for Social Security Disable Insurance. My right side is affected, top of foot up to the back of my calf. The right arm is numb also.

Hopefully you'll get more information regarding your specific situation at your consultation. While it is a progressive disease everyone is different. Mine presents with aphasia, ataxia, slurred speech at times, TIA's, balance issues, and sometimes memory. It can be quite stable for a while and then I might have a period with increased symptoms (sometimes I think it could be stress related). I'm 67 and my biggest fear is cognitive decline. I also find myself more easily irritable. Everyone's symptoms and progression are different based on the areas of the brain that are impacted.

Unfortunately, as my neurologist said, you can't rotoroot your brain. The best thing is to try to have a positive attitude, work on that bucket list, eat well, and exercise. I also have ASCVD, so the same things I do for that apply to CMVD (including my daily aspirin). Since the root cause of CMVD is the same as ASCVD and carotid blockage be aware of your health in those areas as well. The good news is that if these are an issue for you is that they are treatable.

Feel free to reach out.

@cutlermax

Jump to this post

@cutlermax, it sounds like you have received some test results before having a chance to review them with a physician. That can be nerve wracking.

You mention the Tapestry Study. A few other members are talking about taking part in it here:

- Anyone participating in the Tapestry DNA Sequencing Research?
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/anyone-participating-in-the-tapestry-dna-test/
- Tapestry Results are In, What is your story?
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/tapestry-results-are-in-what-is-your-story/

@colleenyoung

@cutlermax, it sounds like you have received some test results before having a chance to review them with a physician. That can be nerve wracking.

You mention the Tapestry Study. A few other members are talking about taking part in it here:

https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/anyone-participating-in-the-tapestry-dna-test/
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/tapestry-results-are-in-what-is-your-story/

Jump to this post

Yes, the Result from my last MRI. I live alone, family is spread out across the county. It sucks, haven't told nobody.

Hello, I can sympathize with you. I also have cvsd. Had 8 at least ischemic strokes when I was diagnosed jan. 2020.. I have numbness in both hands now. Dizzy spells off balance, walk to the left always droppin g things , memory lapses. I find it hard to answer direc question s.. I was put on a station , blood thinner, blood pressure pills and now a beta blocker as it's effecting my heart. Yes , I am frightened too. Everyday.

@colleenyoung

Jump to this post

I have an appointment tomorrow for a Neurology consultation with Scott Speelziek, M.D . At Mayo about my CMVD. What question should I ask?

@cutlermax

I have an appointment tomorrow for a Neurology consultation with Scott Speelziek, M.D . At Mayo about my CMVD. What question should I ask?

Jump to this post

Good luck with the appointment tomorrow. Frankly, I think you outlined some pretty darn good questions in your previous post:
- "What does 'Subcortical and periventricular white matter T2/FLAIR signal abnormality in keeping with sequela of chronic ischemic microvascular change' mean in plain English?
- At what stage of the disease am I?
- Where is it located?
- What else do I need to know?

To that list you might also want to ask
- What tests do I need?
- What treatments are available and which do you recommend for me?
- I have other health conditions. How can I best manage them together?
- What are the next steps?

And you might also want more info about the Tapestry study
- Why was I chosen to participate in Mayo Clinic's Tapestry Study?
- What are the benefits to me and to science if I choose to participate?
- Are there any risks or burdens on me to participating?

I look forward to hearing what you learn.

Thank you, I let you what was said tomorrow

Please sign in or register to post a reply.