Chronic Microvascular Ischemic Disease

Posted by JanaShay13 @janashay13, Oct 2, 2022

I just had a brain mri in August of 2022 and i was diagnose with Chronic Microvascular Ischemic but i had it 10yrs ago but it has increase since then. I'm drooping things I have memory loss and forgetting with right side weakness and dumbness. My Neuro said I had small stroke (TIA) I just turn 50 in August. I'm very scared right now and very confused.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Stroke & Cerebrovascular Diseases Support Group.

@rubytue70

Microvasular Disease. Would love to discuss. It’s the little veins in the brain that have some built-up placque. I’m on statins for high cholesterol but hoping the statin will help stop this disease from worsening. I’m 69 years old.

Jump to this post

Thanks for the heads-up on plavix. How long were you on it? I'll ask my neurologist about it when I see her next.

@tj1tj1

Thanks for the heads-up on plavix. How long were you on it? I'll ask my neurologist about it when I see her next.

Jump to this post

about 10 years ... never paid attention that I was not bruising or anything. Blame primary care Dr. for not catching it I go for bloodwork every 90 days I take 14 medications daily you would think they might want to look once in a while. I'm diabetic and have learned after a while Dr's tend to turn a "blind ear" to your complaints ..everything is blamed on your diabetes .. the flat you have on the way to the Dr's office to the rain outside .. lol ... Do ask your neuro about it mine said he seldom see patients like me that are doing all the right thing and have a medication fail them ..

@rubytue70

Microvasular Disease. Would love to discuss. It’s the little veins in the brain that have some built-up placque. I’m on statins for high cholesterol but hoping the statin will help stop this disease from worsening. I’m 69 years old.

Jump to this post

Hello @rubytue70 and @tj1tj1 and welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. I see the pair of you, along with @ckscoville, have all three been discussing Microvascular Disease. I wanted to bring your comments into an existing discussion, which you can find here:
- Chronic Microvascular Ischemic Disease: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/i-was-diagnose-with-chronic-mircovascular-ishemic-disease-9302022/

You may also be able to connect with members @angelicscripts and @keithl56 who have shared here before.

When were you diagnosed?

@amandajro

Hello @rubytue70 and @tj1tj1 and welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. I see the pair of you, along with @ckscoville, have all three been discussing Microvascular Disease. I wanted to bring your comments into an existing discussion, which you can find here:
- Chronic Microvascular Ischemic Disease: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/i-was-diagnose-with-chronic-mircovascular-ishemic-disease-9302022/

You may also be able to connect with members @angelicscripts and @keithl56 who have shared here before.

When were you diagnosed?

Jump to this post

I described an odd feeling in my head and an occasional “whoosh” one-second disorientation four years ago (which I still get often). So a cat-scan was done. Nothing remarkable except minor calcification. But it was the MRI last year, which I insisted on having, that showed the micro-v. disease. Thanks!

@amandajro

When were you diagnosed?

Jump to this post

Thanks, Amanda. I've been having cryptogenic (unknown origin) strokes for a few years. The first with symptoms (cerebellum, vertigo) was 4 years ago, and the MRI showed signs of 2 prior events. Since then, I've had 3 more, with only 1 symptomatic (different part of the brain, difficulty with word formation). Both times I had symptoms it was mild and transient, thank goodness.

Since last March, when I had the last symptomatic stroke, they have been doing all sorts of tests to try to identify a cause, with no success. So, it seems that small cerebral vessel disease is the likely suspect. Have been on Plavix since then, with no stroke symptoms. an MRI in September showed no stroke activity. I am blind so can't monitor my stool for signs of blood, so my PCP is doing lab tests every 3 months to screen for indications of anemia, which might indicate bleeding. It's kind of creepy, having the sense that something could happen again at any time, possibly with more serious repercussions. Glad to have connected with this group.

@tj1tj1

I haven't been officially given the diagnosis of microvascular disease, but they seem to have ruled out other causes for the cryptogenic (unknown origin) strokes I've had the last few years. Most have been asymptomatic, and the 2 with clear symptoms resolved quickly. I've been left with a very slight balance deficit, but otherwise fine. They put me on plavix to prevent platelet clotting. It's been almost a year, so far so good.

Jump to this post

Hi there. Can you tell me more about your cryptogenic strokes? And what were your symptoms, if any? How were they resolved? I have had an MRI about a year ago. On low-dose statin. Wondering if I should see a neurologist. Thx. Arlene

I had a bad fall in early November and had a ct scan searching for a “ blowout” of my lower orbital. It was fractured. The report on the brain scan indicated it looked the way most people’s brains do at age 72. I just looked at the report again, and the last sentence, which I had not noticed before, stated that I have chronic microvascular ischemia. I researched it, and now I am scared. I have a family history of high cholesterol and cardiovascular disease. My mother suffered from ischemic strokes and cognitive decline. Her sister died of a brain aneurysm. My brother died of a “massive brain bleed” at age 72. I have had cognitive issues for at least 10 years - short term memory loss, slower speech, very poor executive function. I know there is no cure but I would love to stop it where it is or slow it down. I live alone and it is fine, but I now have to factor this in making plans for the next few years. Thanks for reading, (my first post)

@kdnycity

I had a bad fall in early November and had a ct scan searching for a “ blowout” of my lower orbital. It was fractured. The report on the brain scan indicated it looked the way most people’s brains do at age 72. I just looked at the report again, and the last sentence, which I had not noticed before, stated that I have chronic microvascular ischemia. I researched it, and now I am scared. I have a family history of high cholesterol and cardiovascular disease. My mother suffered from ischemic strokes and cognitive decline. Her sister died of a brain aneurysm. My brother died of a “massive brain bleed” at age 72. I have had cognitive issues for at least 10 years - short term memory loss, slower speech, very poor executive function. I know there is no cure but I would love to stop it where it is or slow it down. I live alone and it is fine, but I now have to factor this in making plans for the next few years. Thanks for reading, (my first post)

Jump to this post

I’m 74 and dealing with similar issues. Thank you for sharing

@kdnycity

Jump to this post

Hi kdnycity. If you read my posts, I, too, have microvasular disease. I was told it is normal for my age (69). I also have high cholesterol so I am now on a low-dose statin - which should not only help my heart arteries, but my brain as well, by helping to slow down progression of the vascular problem there. At least, this is what I was told! My mother died at age 97 of a massive stroke. Before that, she was always fine. I would suggest you also see a nutritionalist and eat healthfully. I plan to now to see a neurologist. My doctor has never suggested I see one, which angers me. I’m going to seek him/her out in April. 🙂

I’m finding that too much coffee can contribute to ischemic problems. Now I just have it in the morning and perhaps a decaf later in the day. Go easy on any caffeinated items!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.