Concerned about the side effects of anastrozole

Posted by tinalove @tinalove, Jan 31, 2016

I completed all treatments for breast cancer but now I am supposed to take hormone blocker, named anastrozole. im concerned about the side effects. Has anyone here taken it and did anyone have hair loss?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@chiara58

I have taken anastrozole for 5years now. Major intestinal problems, it makes my life really difficult. I have stopped it for 3 weeks, i now have almost no problems with stomach. My question is, do i really need to take it for 10 years, as my oncologist recommends? Or is it an impossible question?...

Jump to this post

I was told 7 years was as good as 10. I really wanted to do 7.

Then I read on breastcancer.org about the Breast Cancer Index, which gives risk as well as a yes or no answer about whether continued aromatase inhibitor treatment is of benefit. Mine came out high risk, but no benefit, so I stopped at 5 years.

My oncologist had not heard of it and put it into her practice. It is now part of NCCN guidelines. At the time I had to get the paperwork for the test, talk to the lab about specimens, and present the paperwork for signature to my doctor, then send it to the company. It should be easier now. If your doctor is not on board, get a second opinion. Show them the NCCN guidelines!

@chiara58

I have taken anastrozole for 5years now. Major intestinal problems, it makes my life really difficult. I have stopped it for 3 weeks, i now have almost no problems with stomach. My question is, do i really need to take it for 10 years, as my oncologist recommends? Or is it an impossible question?...

Jump to this post

Have you done the Breast Cancer Index yet? After five years on an aromatase inhibitor, the Index is supposed to determine if taking an AI for more years will actually increase your survival rate.

I have taken anastrozole for 15 months. The first 6 months brought sleepless nights, joint pain and general feeling of fatigue. Those side effects have mostly resolved. I have a little hair loss but I am the only one who has noticed. I will be on it for 10 years as my metastatic breast cancer is 100% estrogen and 90% progesterone dependent. I consider myself to be independent,educated and determined. My oncologist has advised 10 years of anastrozole and I am following her direction. I am 66,still on honeymoon with third husband and plan on being around to bug great grandchildren if my 12 and 10 year old grandchildren choose to have children. But these are my choices. You must be able to make your own choices based on your lifestyle and personal circumstances

I started it in October at age 52. Stage 1A IDC hormone positive. No chemo. 15 days of radiation.

The biggest side effect for me is joint pain when I’ve been seated for a long time or waking up in the morning.

It dissipates with movement. My sister started taking it too. Prescribed preventatively by her dr bc her risk of developing bc is high.

The best advice is taking it at night. It can make you tired. It’s worth trying it for me because of the reduction in recurrence that it brings.

Best to all!

@mossa

I have taken anastrozole for 15 months. The first 6 months brought sleepless nights, joint pain and general feeling of fatigue. Those side effects have mostly resolved. I have a little hair loss but I am the only one who has noticed. I will be on it for 10 years as my metastatic breast cancer is 100% estrogen and 90% progesterone dependent. I consider myself to be independent,educated and determined. My oncologist has advised 10 years of anastrozole and I am following her direction. I am 66,still on honeymoon with third husband and plan on being around to bug great grandchildren if my 12 and 10 year old grandchildren choose to have children. But these are my choices. You must be able to make your own choices based on your lifestyle and personal circumstances

Jump to this post

@mossa my cancer was 95% estrogen positive and 85% progesterone positive but the Breast Cancer Index still told me there was no benefit to extending treatment past 5 years. I had to get the paperwork for the test myself but most doctors will do it if they see it in the NCCN guidelines. The Oncotype showed risk reduced 50% but BCI was the only thing I could rely on at the 5 year point.

@jessicanell

I started it in October at age 52. Stage 1A IDC hormone positive. No chemo. 15 days of radiation.

The biggest side effect for me is joint pain when I’ve been seated for a long time or waking up in the morning.

It dissipates with movement. My sister started taking it too. Prescribed preventatively by her dr bc her risk of developing bc is high.

The best advice is taking it at night. It can make you tired. It’s worth trying it for me because of the reduction in recurrence that it brings.

Best to all!

Jump to this post

I am wondering where you heard that taking anastrozole at night can make you sleepy. I have trouble falling asleep (but there has been a lot of stress in my life lately). My oncologist didn't give me an answer on when is the best time to take it. Thanks1

It is 6 months now that I’m on anastrozole(Armidex). I take it around 8am, and by 3-4pm I feel so sleepy and fatigued. It seems this side effect seems to kick in with 7to 8 hours after I take the tablet. My hair has started to also thin quite rapidly. I have started having acupuncture treatment which hopefully will improve my energy level.

Take the anastrozole at night to avoid sleepiness. I too felt very tired about 6-7 hours after taking it in the morning. I now take the medication around 7 each evening. Feeling much more awake during the day.

@sterzi

I am wondering where you heard that taking anastrozole at night can make you sleepy. I have trouble falling asleep (but there has been a lot of stress in my life lately). My oncologist didn't give me an answer on when is the best time to take it. Thanks1

Jump to this post

I had terrible insomnia on this drug as well as on exemestane. It never made me sleepy. I tried CALM for sleep - gummies. Took 2 before bed time & it helped a lot.

@windyshores

@mossa my cancer was 95% estrogen positive and 85% progesterone positive but the Breast Cancer Index still told me there was no benefit to extending treatment past 5 years. I had to get the paperwork for the test myself but most doctors will do it if they see it in the NCCN guidelines. The Oncotype showed risk reduced 50% but BCI was the only thing I could rely on at the 5 year point.

Jump to this post

I hit my 5 year & my doctor refused me the BCI test - which I thought was really unfair. She wanted me to commit to another 5 years - which I refused, so she said the BCI test was not needed. Made me angry - why do doctors do that? She also said another 5 years would only reduce the risk of reoccurrence by less than 3%.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.