Concerned about the side effects of anastrozole

Posted by tinalove @tinalove, Jan 31, 2016

I completed all treatments for breast cancer but now I am supposed to take hormone blocker, named anastrozole. im concerned about the side effects. Has anyone here taken it and did anyone have hair loss?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@sealskin

Yes, I had stage 1 small slow
growing tumor as surgeon didn’t think I should be in a hurry to have surgery but recommended mastectomy! She seemed disappointed I opted for lumpectomy. She also took out
my main lymph node without consulting me. I wanted the lump out of asap!
She torched me for that request.
I had 20 radiations 6 weeks after lumpectomy. The radiologist said after the radiations I wouldn’t have to do medication. The hematologist said I must as the tumor was HR2 positive. So I’ve taken anastrozole for 2 years now. It has trashed the quality of my life.
Aching joints, hot flashes, and it’s
now been 2 years taking anastrozole and half my hair is
gone. I want to stop the medication. Dr C L said
“Your body is full cancer. You must take it. And I’m not your doctor anymore. I’ve had no support and have been tortured, lied to and
dismissed by her Issaquah WA cancer team. Take care and best wishes.

Jump to this post

sealskin | @sealskin

Sounds like your cancer team was not very supportive. Do you have an option to switch to another cancer center? I would look for one that has a Breast Cancer Survivorship clinic that can help with medication management and symptoms from meds.

I agree with @windyshores, that statement about body full of cancer does not make sense if you were diagnosed with stage 1.

Laurie

@windyshores

@sealskin it is standard practice to take out a sentinel lymph node to see if cancer has spread to lymph nodes. The sentinel is the first one that cells would go to so if that is clear, all the other ones are.

Why did your doc want a mastectomy and why did you not want one?

Did the doc actually tell you your body is full of cancer? That doesn't sound right. If you were high grade but high ER score, these meds will definitely help. I took them for 5 years and found that walking at least 45 minutes helped a lot.

Jump to this post

I was on anastrazole for five years. Some stomachs issues weight gain. Mild hair loss otherwise worth the journey. They say it lasts u. Your body fir several years fighting cancer.

@sealskin

growing tumor as surgeon didn’t think I should be in a hurry to have surgery but recommended mastectomy! She seemed disappointed I opted for lumpectomy. She also took out
I had 20 radiations 6 weeks after lumpectomy. The radiologist said after the radiations I wouldn’t have to do medication. The hematologist said I must as the tumor was HR2 positive. So I’ve taken anastrozole for 2 years now. It has trashed the quality of my life.
“Your body is full cancer. You must take it. And I’m not your doctor anymore. I’ve had no support and have been tortured, lied to and

Jump to this post

I am under the impression that Her2 positive patients get Herceptin and chemo. Herceptin was developed for this type of cancer.

@sealskin

Jump to this post

Got a new doctor! Anastrozole I change my life as well. I hate it. I’ve been on it since Thanksgiving and struggle with our joint pain, headaches, and so warm. I said I’d take another month and asked the doctor to change it to another pill or a mini different types. I think they all have some side effects. Can’t be as bad as this one. Best wishes.!

@anjalima

When I realized that my sudden major increase in side effects after one year on Anastrozole may have been related to a change in manufactured… I found a pharmacy where I could revert back to Anastrozole manufactured by Accord ( the original generic). My increased side effects faded back to the original manageable and mitigated ones… mostly joint stuff and interrupted sleep ( awake 2-3 hours in middle of night).

While figuring this out I found a route to try the BRAND ANASTROZOLE … ARIMIDIX !

Even less side effects and especially sleeping through the night!

Generics are not regulated by FDA… they have their own regulation body but the main ingredient ( Anastrozole in this case ) can vary up to 20% in either direction and fillers can be very different.

The BRAND is tightly regulated by FDA and cannot vary in ANY way from pill to pill.

The brand has worked for me.

Jump to this post

Hmmm, the manufacturer on my bottle of Anastrozole says BRECKENRIDGE from my pharmacy.
I hope that that's o.k.

@anjalima

When I realized that my sudden major increase in side effects after one year on Anastrozole may have been related to a change in manufactured… I found a pharmacy where I could revert back to Anastrozole manufactured by Accord ( the original generic). My increased side effects faded back to the original manageable and mitigated ones… mostly joint stuff and interrupted sleep ( awake 2-3 hours in middle of night).

While figuring this out I found a route to try the BRAND ANASTROZOLE … ARIMIDIX !

Even less side effects and especially sleeping through the night!

Generics are not regulated by FDA… they have their own regulation body but the main ingredient ( Anastrozole in this case ) can vary up to 20% in either direction and fillers can be very different.

The BRAND is tightly regulated by FDA and cannot vary in ANY way from pill to pill.

The brand has worked for me.

Jump to this post

Generic drugs are regulated by the FDA. Supplements like vitamins are not.

@islandgirl60

Generic drugs are regulated by the FDA. Supplements like vitamins are not.

Jump to this post

Generics can fluctuate ingredients 20% in either direction whereas BRAND has to be exactly the same from pill to pill.

@anjalima

Generics can fluctuate ingredients 20% in either direction whereas BRAND has to be exactly the same from pill to pill.

Jump to this post

I can’t find any info on that. If that is true, that would be very dangerous and people would be getting very sick on generics…any generics. I know that different companies use different fillers. Also, some people just do better on brand. I am glad that you found a solution that works.

@islandgirl60

I can’t find any info on that. If that is true, that would be very dangerous and people would be getting very sick on generics…any generics. I know that different companies use different fillers. Also, some people just do better on brand. I am glad that you found a solution that works.

Jump to this post

I was told this by a drug rep and I corroborated it with my son in law who works in pharma

@islandgirl60

Jump to this post

Best to you too

Please sign in or register to post a reply.