Concerned about the side effects of anastrozole

Posted by tinalove @tinalove, Jan 31, 2016

I completed all treatments for breast cancer but now I am supposed to take hormone blocker, named anastrozole. im concerned about the side effects. Has anyone here taken it and did anyone have hair loss?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@otas

It is 6 months now that I’m on anastrozole(Armidex). I take it around 8am, and by 3-4pm I feel so sleepy and fatigued. It seems this side effect seems to kick in with 7to 8 hours after I take the tablet. My hair has started to also thin quite rapidly. I have started having acupuncture treatment which hopefully will improve my energy level.

Jump to this post

I take mine between eight and nine in the evening that way I feel like I am sleeping through the worst of it. By 2 to 3 PM in the afternoon to take a short nap.

I started it on Thanksgiving evening. My main problem is joint aches. I feel like an old lady when I’m trying to get up from a chair, my hips, my back my shoulders and now my thumb I am more tired than I’ve ever been. I take an afternoon nap. I am going to try it for six months and then reevaluate. . Hope that helps.

@kathyomaha55

I hit my 5 year & my doctor refused me the BCI test - which I thought was really unfair. She wanted me to commit to another 5 years - which I refused, so she said the BCI test was not needed. Made me angry - why do doctors do that? She also said another 5 years would only reduce the risk of reoccurrence by less than 3%.

Jump to this post

The BCI test did not apply to my case as I had 7 positive lymph nodes with extra nodal extension of nodes. That is the reasoning for AI 10 years. Anastrozole does cause some insomnia and joint aches but I am managing them most of the time. What I think is most important for all of us is that we find a physician we feel is a good fit and can communicate and educate .what we need personally. I’m also taking verzenio-that’s another story-so difficult to tell which med causes which side effects. I admire every breast cancer warrior, while we all have/had this unwanted change in our lives we are so open to help our new sisters and their families.

@kathyomaha55

I hit my 5 year & my doctor refused me the BCI test - which I thought was really unfair. She wanted me to commit to another 5 years - which I refused, so she said the BCI test was not needed. Made me angry - why do doctors do that? She also said another 5 years would only reduce the risk of reoccurrence by less than 3%.

Jump to this post

@kathyomaha55 after 5 years , I’m assuming with this dr. I would think they’d be more compassion. What was the reasoning for her to recommend another 5 yrs? I find it interesting that a Dr recommends a continuous of medication for 5 yrs But refuses a test that would give information If continuing would be of benefit. That does not make any sense to me. Well if this BCI testing is important to you, as it will give you more information, you should follow up with the facilities management or if she is private practice have you primary care order it. Be proactive for your Health and well being. Good luck & Blessings.

@hhoskin3361

Take the anastrozole at night to avoid sleepiness. I too felt very tired about 6-7 hours after taking it in the morning. I now take the medication around 7 each evening. Feeling much more awake during the day.

Jump to this post

Thankyou I’ll try taking that night.
In fact my Dr also suggested I try taking it at night. I’ll let you know the results.
All the best

@kathyomaha55

Jump to this post

From what I understand, BC I test is given to patients with initial stage 1 to 3 cancer, and you have to fill a requirements form. I am in the same situation. After talking to my oncologist, I am stopping anastrozole now and switching to EXEMESTANE, which apparently is better tolerated. Why not prescribe EXEMESTANE to begin with then? Because of insurance.... They won't cover it unless Dr. says you can't tolerate anastrozole any longer... Unbelievable. Good luck to you. Stay positive. I really believe in the power of a strong and positive attitude.

@chiara58

From what I understand, BC I test is given to patients with initial stage 1 to 3 cancer, and you have to fill a requirements form. I am in the same situation. After talking to my oncologist, I am stopping anastrozole now and switching to EXEMESTANE, which apparently is better tolerated. Why not prescribe EXEMESTANE to begin with then? Because of insurance.... They won't cover it unless Dr. says you can't tolerate anastrozole any longer... Unbelievable. Good luck to you. Stay positive. I really believe in the power of a strong and positive attitude.

Jump to this post

I had Stage 1 IDC with no lymph node involvement. I got the Oncodx Type test & was a 22. So I could skip chemo but had lumpectomy & radiation. I also was given anastrozole first - after 6 months my hands, Shoulders and toes hurt so bad. I threatened to go off all meds if it was not switched. They sent me to a rheumatologist to eliminate my hand pain as arthritis. I was finally switched to exemestane and after about 2 or 3 months the joint pain faded. I don't know if she first prescribed the initial drug because of insurance. Good luck reaching the 5 year mark.

@sequoia

@kathyomaha55 after 5 years , I’m assuming with this dr. I would think they’d be more compassion. What was the reasoning for her to recommend another 5 yrs? I find it interesting that a Dr recommends a continuous of medication for 5 yrs But refuses a test that would give information If continuing would be of benefit. That does not make any sense to me. Well if this BCI testing is important to you, as it will give you more information, you should follow up with the facilities management or if she is private practice have you primary care order it. Be proactive for your Health and well being. Good luck & Blessings.

Jump to this post

I agree it was really frustrating to not be allowed to get this test. It did not make any sense to me either. My original Oncologist had retired - so I filtered thru several replacements this last year. I wonder if I had the first one - who I really liked - if she would have explained more to me. I had Stage 1 IDC with no lymph node involvement. I got the Oncodx Type test & was a 22. So I could skip chemo but had lumpectomy & radiation. When the final doctor I saw told me that another 5 yrs would only reduce my reoccurrence by < 3% - it only confirmed my resolve to stop at 5 years. ONE other thing: Apparently all AI drugs (not sure if this includes Tamfoxin) - causes CATARACTS - makes the grow faster. After 5 years I now need cataract surgery as well. I'm 68.

@mossa

The BCI test did not apply to my case as I had 7 positive lymph nodes with extra nodal extension of nodes. That is the reasoning for AI 10 years. Anastrozole does cause some insomnia and joint aches but I am managing them most of the time. What I think is most important for all of us is that we find a physician we feel is a good fit and can communicate and educate .what we need personally. I’m also taking verzenio-that’s another story-so difficult to tell which med causes which side effects. I admire every breast cancer warrior, while we all have/had this unwanted change in our lives we are so open to help our new sisters and their families.

Jump to this post

The AI drugs causes cataracts to grow faster. Be aware of this.

@kathyomaha55

I agree it was really frustrating to not be allowed to get this test. It did not make any sense to me either. My original Oncologist had retired - so I filtered thru several replacements this last year. I wonder if I had the first one - who I really liked - if she would have explained more to me. I had Stage 1 IDC with no lymph node involvement. I got the Oncodx Type test & was a 22. So I could skip chemo but had lumpectomy & radiation. When the final doctor I saw told me that another 5 yrs would only reduce my reoccurrence by < 3% - it only confirmed my resolve to stop at 5 years. ONE other thing: Apparently all AI drugs (not sure if this includes Tamfoxin) - causes CATARACTS - makes the grow faster. After 5 years I now need cataract surgery as well. I'm 68.

Jump to this post

@kathyomaha55 did not k ow that about cataract. Thank you. I took Anastrozole for 2 1/2 yrs so far the small start of cataracts has not progressed but I’ll keep an eye on them! Pun intended 😂

Please sign in or register to post a reply.