Concerned about the side effects of anastrozole

Posted by tinalove @tinalove, Jan 31, 2016

I completed all treatments for breast cancer but now I am supposed to take hormone blocker, named anastrozole. im concerned about the side effects. Has anyone here taken it and did anyone have hair loss?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@bjohnson511

Yes, I have heard the difficulty losing weight about anastrozole. Also, I have thin hair to begin with and I am 72 years old and have heard about the thinning hair but my bigger issue is osteoporosis. since I already have osteopenia.

Jump to this post

I had some hair loss no change in bone density after five years on anastrazole accord manufacturer. Very low in side effects worth the results.

@nanna1948

I had some hair loss no change in bone density after five years on anastrazole accord manufacturer. Very low in side effects worth the results.

Jump to this post

I had mild hair “ thinning” as in much more on comb/brush especially after washing… returned to usual after a while then again after replacement surgery. I have “ decided” that it was an effect from physical ( and emotional) stress from the anesthesia.

Check out TELOGEN EFFLUVIUM. It describes the natural cycle of hair growth, rest and shedding… and what may interrupt that . It’s quite interesting.

@anjalima

I had mild hair “ thinning” as in much more on comb/brush especially after washing… returned to usual after a while then again after replacement surgery. I have “ decided” that it was an effect from physical ( and emotional) stress from the anesthesia.

Check out TELOGEN EFFLUVIUM. It describes the natural cycle of hair growth, rest and shedding… and what may interrupt that . It’s quite interesting.

Jump to this post

I also use Anastrozole manufactured by ACCORD and when my pharmacy switched manufacturers I had dramatically increased side effects ( not in hair thinning) . Switched back to ACCORD and settled down again.

So much self advocacy needed on this journey!

@nanna1948

Jump to this post

You were one of the lucky ones. After 18 months on Anastrozole I opted to quit. I have posted before all that occured while on the medication, it became a quality of life issue. We all have to weigh our options and hope and pray we made the right decision. Bone loss medications are dangerous and I will not take them. Do your research, listen to your body and go from there.

I did not have hair loss but I did not tolerate Anastrozole well. Poor sleep, more intense hot flashes, dry skin and tendon problems. Took a month off of medication advised by my new oncologist and then started letrozole and taking it at night. 2 months in and I think psychologically (knowing this oncologist will work with me) maybe all that’s different as letrozole and Anastrozole are basically the same drug. But hot flashes are better ( the weather has changed so I don’t get to my
flash point as quickly. I’m taking a magnesium supplement for sleep issues. Dr also suggested acupuncture specifically for ‘women’s health’ to reduce the menopausal symptoms and yoga. Living in a rural area, it is quite difficult to find a women’s health acupuncturist but I am on the search. I guess my take away is if you don’t trust your dr- switch and look for alternatives in conjunction with your medication

@anjalima

I also use Anastrozole manufactured by ACCORD and when my pharmacy switched manufacturers I had dramatically increased side effects ( not in hair thinning) . Switched back to ACCORD and settled down again.

Jump to this post

I was also only on accord. I was very lucky on it. Never changed for five years.

@anjalima

Jump to this post

Agree. I feel like I have to think of everything. The fight is real.

@whr I would not say bone loss medications are necessarily dangerous. I just took Tymlos for two years. The dose is adjustable so I could start low and ramp up. I worry that generalizations like "bone loss meds are dangerous" might worry people unnecessarily. I agree that side effects are a concern for some but the meds that are available are effective and for many, tolerable. I would say, on the other hand, that cancer recurrence is dangerous!

To others: I also reacted to fillers in generics. I took brand name letrozole as a result and at the end of treatment found a generic I could tolerate. Too bad, the brand name cost a lot! But so helpful that people are posting on this issue so many can maybe avoid quitting by switching manufacturers.

@windyshores

@whr I would not say bone loss medications are necessarily dangerous. I just took Tymlos for two years. The dose is adjustable so I could start low and ramp up. I worry that generalizations like "bone loss meds are dangerous" might worry people unnecessarily. I agree that side effects are a concern for some but the meds that are available are effective and for many, tolerable. I would say, on the other hand, that cancer recurrence is dangerous!

To others: I also reacted to fillers in generics. I took brand name letrozole as a result and at the end of treatment found a generic I could tolerate. Too bad, the brand name cost a lot! But so helpful that people are posting on this issue so many can maybe avoid quitting by switching manufacturers.

Jump to this post

My dentist is the one who brought it to my attention. I am merely stating
my opinion based on my research. I am in a different place than a lot of
people as I don't tolerate medications of any kind very well. Quality of
life is more important to me than length of life. We are all different and
need to respect that.

@whr

My dentist is the one who brought it to my attention. I am merely stating
my opinion based on my research. I am in a different place than a lot of
people as I don't tolerate medications of any kind very well. Quality of
life is more important to me than length of life. We are all different and
need to respect that.

Jump to this post

Amen!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.