How about a laugh, (hopefully)

Posted by Leonard @jakedduck1, Dec 31, 2018

I believe laughter is the best medicine. Laughter has actually been scientifically proven to help people with depression issues.
Let’s give it a try so we can all get happy and feel better. Many Epilepsy forums I’ve been on had joke sections. I was probably the biggest joke of all since I didn’t get a lot of the jokes. They said the jokes couldn’t be above 4th grade level for me to understand them so my jokes may be rather simplistic but let’s give it a try.
Have a lovely day everyone,
Jake

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@sueinmn

What's your favorite? (Digit, that is)

Jump to this post

Anatomical - right forefinger

Numerical single - 7

Numerical non-single - 14

Non-digital and non-numerical - strawberry banana under whipped cream and chocolate flakes in buttery crust

@lagrange5

By the way,
Happy Pi Day!

3/14

Jump to this post

Happy Pi Day to you!

Great series of jokes, everybody!

I have to find out how to pronounce "zeugma."
The examples are a hoot!

@lagrange5

Here's another figure of speech, the zeugma, in which one word applies to two others in different ways:

He opened his mind and his wallet every time he went out with her.

John and his license expired last week.

She broke his heart and his favorite cup.

She left in a huff and a Porsche.

He fished for trout and compliments.

I left my heart and my suitcase in San Francisco.

Jump to this post

The professor had outstanding credentials and child support payments.

@annewoodmayo

Happy Pi Day to you!

Great series of jokes, everybody!

I have to find out how to pronounce "zeugma."
The examples are a hoot!

Jump to this post

ZOO GMA

@dbeshears1

The professor had outstanding credentials and child support payments.

Jump to this post

He grew barley, corn, and bored.

@lagrange5

The first chapter is about proper grammar.

It states that that there is a reason that a preposition is a bad word to end a sentence with.

It's because you don't know what they're talking about, what they're referring to, or what they're doing it for.

Jump to this post

Churchill said "Ending a sentence with a proposition is something up with which I will not put."

@thisismarilynb

Churchill said "Ending a sentence with a proposition is something up with which I will not put."

Jump to this post

It seems that prepositions just put him off.

Zoog mah rules!
Thanks for the chuckles!

Hey, please ignore the rest of this post...I miss being a teacher, and the rest of this post is my self-indulgent pedantry.

The "no preposition at the end of the sentence" rule was the invention of some guys in England in the 1700s. They wanted to standardize English grammar, and they imposed some of the grammar rules derived from Latin onto English. English has Germanic roots as well as Latin/French roots. The grammatical structures of these root languages conflict with each other. Grammar rules should help to clarify meaning, not contort the expression of meaning. I hope that we can dispense with grammar rules that don't naturally flow from our language. If you read this far, let me tell you that it felt pretty good to use my brains again-- exhausting but good! haha! Hope it was kinda interesting for you.

Have a great day, everybody!

@annewoodmayo

Zoog mah rules!
Thanks for the chuckles!

Hey, please ignore the rest of this post...I miss being a teacher, and the rest of this post is my self-indulgent pedantry.

The "no preposition at the end of the sentence" rule was the invention of some guys in England in the 1700s. They wanted to standardize English grammar, and they imposed some of the grammar rules derived from Latin onto English. English has Germanic roots as well as Latin/French roots. The grammatical structures of these root languages conflict with each other. Grammar rules should help to clarify meaning, not contort the expression of meaning. I hope that we can dispense with grammar rules that don't naturally flow from our language. If you read this far, let me tell you that it felt pretty good to use my brains again-- exhausting but good! haha! Hope it was kinda interesting for you.

Jump to this post

@annewoodmayo
My high school English teacher, Mrs. Page, would have loved your discussion. She laughingly taught us the preposition "rule" as well as telling us that using a double negative was "redundant".

She probably presumed that the predisposition to position a preposition with precision at the end of a pronouncement was not a propitious, but a presumptuous, proposition.

@annewoodmayo

Zoog mah rules!
Thanks for the chuckles!

Jump to this post

@annewoodmayo

That’s why they say English is one of the hardest languages to learn. I had 3 years of high school Latin, 1 year each of French and Spanish and 2 years of college German (mien Gott). I must say that Latin made Spanish a breeze and still helps deciphering new words.

FL Mary

Please sign in or register to post a reply.