Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@lioness

@imallers Glad to know your on the west coast I've been to Ft Myers just made cinnamon buns smell good just out of oven

Jump to this post

@lioness
Oh hey yum. My grandson who is visiting adores cinnamon buns...hmmmm ...morning coffee....hmmmm.

FL Mary

@imallears

@lioness
Oh hey yum. My grandson who is visiting adores cinnamon buns...hmmmm ...morning coffee....hmmmm.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallers Yep they smelled so good I already had one with my cup of tea lol

@imallears

@contentandwell
I’ll be glad to take over your title of Wine Diva. Wine and dark chocolate after dinner. I make a double chocolate cookie that is heavenly but only for the grandkids.

If I may be so bold I will sign off as

FL Mary, W.D. Sort of like MD but better.

Jump to this post

@imallears
Hi Mary WD,
Will you please adopt me as a grandkid?
Eating that dark chocolate is no doubt what destroyed your taste buds and mades you enjoy some of those concoctions that you conjure up.
Jake

Wine Diva is too young to have you as a grandkid, maybe a cousin?

@gingerw

@jakedduck1 One of my dad's favorite sayings was, "I never met a cookie I didn't like." When my mother was alive and before the dementia/Alzheimer stole her mind away, he would fix the both of them a cup of coffee and two cookies, each night about 10PM, as a nightly ritual. Then off to bed. A nice memory.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw
I never met a cookie I didn’t like either or a candy bar or a cake or a pie or pastry although I don’t like coffee. I would’ve had a root beer float with my cookies and probably some candy to go with it.
Jake

@funcountess

Jump to this post

@funcountess
Although highly unlikely it is possible. Besides you know how women trim a few years off their true age.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@gingerw
I never met a cookie I didn’t like either or a candy bar or a cake or a pie or pastry although I don’t like coffee. I would’ve had a root beer float with my cookies and probably some candy to go with it.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1
Oh good grief my teeth just fell out reading that.

FL Mary

@funcountess

Jump to this post

@funcountess
Thanks for that. @jakeduck how about a distant cousin? I’m a good baker but now stick to using gluten free flours. I don’t even know what thread we are on right now but I appreciate your humor, I walked 2 miles this morning and I have a great recipe for broccoli salad with red onions, cherry tomatoes, celery, raisins, toasted pepitos, and a yogurt honey dressing...keeping up my immune system even more during Covid times.

FL Mary...concoction and wine lover

@lioness

@imallers Glad to know your on the west coast I've been to Ft Myers just made cinnamon buns smell good just out of oven

Jump to this post

@lioness Homemade cinnamon buns! Yum. I don't work with yeast much anymore, just for pizza dough these days. The only reason I do that is that I can make our pizza with provolone which has no lactose.
JK

@jakedduck1

@contentandwell
I live in California too and love cookies and white chocolate. Just in case you get in a cooking mood and don’t know what to do with them feel free to send them my way. My favorites are white chocolate macadamia nut, snickerdoodles, chocolate chip or chocolate chip with M&M’s and molasses cookies are great but I’ll eat any kind of cookies.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 if you lived close to Hermosa Beach, where my son lived, I’d think you were the cookie thief!

The post office has gotten so slow recently that if I sent cookies they would probably be stale by the time they arrived. I mailed something to my son last Friday (not cookies) in Denver and they said it would probably not arrive by this weekend! That’s ridiculous.
JK

Please sign in or register to post a reply.