Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jenniferhunter

I have some good news to report..... for the first time since breaking my ankle 4 months ago, I was able to walk into Mayo to see my orthopedic surgeon for a followup appointment instead of using one of the hospital's wheelchairs. Not a perfect walk, but more of a hobble with some assist from my crutches. It was the first time I saw the parking ramp at St. Mary's instead of being dropped off at the door. Progress is slow and a lot of muscles are still on vacation, but I am getting steady progress in weight bearing, building strength and range of motion in physical therapy. The cause was a freak horse back riding accident when the horse I was riding was spooked by a loose dog while out trail riding. It's been a long and somewhat painful recovery, but that is going well and I am making good progress. Full recovery may take a year and I'm making small but solid improvements in learning how to walk again correctly.

Jump to this post

What great news, @jenniferhunter! You must be just thrilled. I'm looking forward to following your progress. Keep updating us.

Today I am grateful to see sunshine! We have been plagued with smoky and unhealthy skies for almost two weeks, which meant we had to stay inside. At least with COVID-19 isolation, you can get outside to walk. But not with bad air! It was nice to hear kids outside playing and wonderful to sleep with windows open last night. Our air quality level is 50, which is good, compared to a high of over 545 in the last week due to smoke.
Ginger

@jenniferhunter

I have some good news to report..... for the first time since breaking my ankle 4 months ago, I was able to walk into Mayo to see my orthopedic surgeon for a followup appointment instead of using one of the hospital's wheelchairs. Not a perfect walk, but more of a hobble with some assist from my crutches. It was the first time I saw the parking ramp at St. Mary's instead of being dropped off at the door. Progress is slow and a lot of muscles are still on vacation, but I am getting steady progress in weight bearing, building strength and range of motion in physical therapy. The cause was a freak horse back riding accident when the horse I was riding was spooked by a loose dog while out trail riding. It's been a long and somewhat painful recovery, but that is going well and I am making good progress. Full recovery may take a year and I'm making small but solid improvements in learning how to walk again correctly.

Jump to this post

What great news @jenniferhunter! So how did your muscles enjoy their vacation? I know you won't jump the gun and get out over your skis.
My best,
Chris

@artscaping

What great news @jenniferhunter! So how did your muscles enjoy their vacation? I know you won't jump the gun and get out over your skis.
My best,
Chris

Jump to this post

@artscaping Hi Chris. I'm still waiting for muscles to come back, and when they do, I can get a report. Maybe they are back and still sleeping... LOL Hopefully, soon they will be back at work. I've been so achy today that walking has been hard.

@gingerw

Today I am grateful to see sunshine! We have been plagued with smoky and unhealthy skies for almost two weeks, which meant we had to stay inside. At least with COVID-19 isolation, you can get outside to walk. But not with bad air! It was nice to hear kids outside playing and wonderful to sleep with windows open last night. Our air quality level is 50, which is good, compared to a high of over 545 in the last week due to smoke.
Ginger

Jump to this post

Ginger I am glad to hear you are finally seeing the sun. This morning my friend in Puyallup posted a picture of "her" mountain - saying she was seeing it for the first time in over 2 weeks. I hope things continue to improve. Today I am grateful for warm weather as we approach the first day of Autumn. I will walk and admire the changing leaves.
Sue

@gingerw Glad to hear you are doing o.k. from the fires. Im grateful to have had a nice weekend on vacation with good friends and save return

@sueinmn

Ginger I am glad to hear you are finally seeing the sun. This morning my friend in Puyallup posted a picture of "her" mountain - saying she was seeing it for the first time in over 2 weeks. I hope things continue to improve. Today I am grateful for warm weather as we approach the first day of Autumn. I will walk and admire the changing leaves.
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn We have cool glorious sun this morning. It is 48 degrees. In the back vacant property, there is a tree in the midst of evergreens, that is changing colors. Quite a striking contrast between the shades of green and the gold in morning light!
Enjoy your walk. I am waiting to hear from Dr, then out to clean street gutter before expected rain this week.
Ginger

@sueinmn

Sue

Jump to this post

Hey @sueinmn, me too will walk and admire.....it is quite stunning with all the color along the River.
Hey @gingerw, you and Jay are so alike. He is de-leafing the drive in lane......about 1/4 mile of Fallen Color.

May you two have happiness and the causes of happiness.
Chris

@jenniferhunter

@artscaping Hi Chris. I'm still waiting for muscles to come back, and when they do, I can get a report. Maybe they are back and still sleeping... LOL Hopefully, soon they will be back at work. I've been so achy today that walking has been hard.

Jump to this post

@jenniferhunger With your determination, I know you will be there in no time.
JK

Today I celebrate my 5th anniversary of brain decompression surgery, which was performed at Mayo Clinic! 🎉 It truly is a celebration. When I think of how my life was like before surgery and to now, I cry tears of happiness. It was such an improvement! I knew surgery would not completely fix all my issues but I feel as if I hit a home run!

I count my blessings each and everyday as I know that there are individuals who have it worse than me. I believe GOD has a plan for me and I truly believe I would have not gotten this far without HIM. HE gave me so many blessings: my team of doctors, my family and friends. My team at Mayo is nothing short of phenomenal!!! I consider them part of my family. I look forward to my annual appointments each year!!

I believe GOD has a plan for each one of us. If HE brings you to it, HE will see you thru it!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.