Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@lioness

@Erinmfs I love peanut butter blossoms also Buckeyes they are good with Dark chocolate Jake doesn.t like it though to bad for him

Jump to this post

@lioness Peanut butter blossoms are a favorite around here. I either use dark kisses, or hugs. Both of my kids love white chocolate and dark chocolate. I will probably be making some this week, I am anticipating seeing my daughter. They have been socially distancing and are getting tested before seeing us.
JK

@gingerw

Today I am grateful. The sun is shining and it is indeed mid-summer here. There is a breeze that refreshes even though it is warm. There are wildfires in my part of the state but not near us, thank the heavens. I have been able to spend time most mornings in the coolness, working in the garden, and to see progress is gratifying. There will always be something to do around here! I am grateful to be alive.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw That's so nice that you are feeling so positive. The move was such a great thing for you.

@Erinmfs I am sure you cousin will enjoy them thoroughly, who wouldn't (except for my husband, he has a thing against anything with peanut butter).
I hope she did receive them. For some reason I sent a box of cookies to my son once in CA. They never arrived and I contacted UPS. They said they would send someone out to look for them! I felt like telling them to look for someone with crumbs on their face.
JK

@contentandwell

@lioness Peanut butter blossoms are a favorite around here. I either use dark kisses, or hugs. Both of my kids love white chocolate and dark chocolate. I will probably be making some this week, I am anticipating seeing my daughter. They have been socially distancing and are getting tested before seeing us.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell Those where my favorites haven't made them in years . DId you ever do buckyies sp? I like them also haven't made them either both with dk chocolate

I received my new Alegria shoes yesterday! They are TRAq shoes. They have sensors in them to count my steps. I tested them yesterday, but the count seemed to be off? Has anybody else tried these Allegria shoes? I spotted the brand at the shoe store in the subway in Rochester one day.

@contentandwell

@gingerw That's so nice that you are feeling so positive. The move was such a great thing for you.

@Erinmfs I am sure you cousin will enjoy them thoroughly, who wouldn't (except for my husband, he has a thing against anything with peanut butter).
I hope she did receive them. For some reason I sent a box of cookies to my son once in CA. They never arrived and I contacted UPS. They said they would send someone out to look for them! I felt like telling them to look for someone with crumbs on their face.
JK

Jump to this post

I'm strange I guess, I like peanut butter blossoms, I like peanuts, but I don't like peanut butter sandwiches. I messaged her son on Facebook, he didn't hear anything about her getting her cookies from me. I hope the nurses enjoyed the cookies and chocolates.

@lioness

@Erinmfs I love peanut butter blossoms also Buckeyes they are good with Dark chocolate Jake doesn.t like it though to bad for him

Jump to this post

@lioness
You ain’t just a Kidding Linda, ick yuck and gag. That stuff is vile tasting. However I think what I ate was really strong and I think it was old too. I can eat the dark chocolate kisses and the dark chocolate that comes in sees candy but I’m not gonna say it’s my favorite by a long shot. Do you eat that stuff because you really do enjoy it more or because it’s healthier? Be honest now.
Jake

@contentandwell

JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell
I live in California too and love cookies and white chocolate. Just in case you get in a cooking mood and don’t know what to do with them feel free to send them my way. My favorites are white chocolate macadamia nut, snickerdoodles, chocolate chip or chocolate chip with M&M’s and molasses cookies are great but I’ll eat any kind of cookies.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@lioness
You ain’t just a Kidding Linda, ick yuck and gag. That stuff is vile tasting. However I think what I ate was really strong and I think it was old too. I can eat the dark chocolate kisses and the dark chocolate that comes in sees candy but I’m not gonna say it’s my favorite by a long shot. Do you eat that stuff because you really do enjoy it more or because it’s healthier? Be honest now.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Both it is good for you the antioxidents in the dk chocolate but taste sooo good

@lioness

@contentandwell Those where my favorites haven't made them in years . DId you ever do buckyies sp? I like them also haven't made them either both with dk chocolate

Jump to this post

I've heard of buckeyes but never made them.

@Erinmfs Those shoes sound interesting. I never heard of them before. Are they also a shoe made for comfort and therapeutic or do they just replace a pedometer?

It's frustrating when gifts are not acknowledged. I used to bring my PCP a very nice bottle of wine at Christmas and some home-baked goodies for the office. He never once mentioned them. I always wondered if one of the office workers just took the wine herself. I didn't expect a formal thank-you note but an acknowledgement would have been nice.
My step-daughter is the same too. I used to spend a great deal of time purchasing gifts for her and her family - multiple gifts for each of them - and they were never mentioned -- they were out of state, so the gifts were mailed. I would have to ask my husband the next time he spoke to her to ask if she had received the gifts. She always had of course.
JK

@jakedduck1

@lioness
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 My mother loved dark chocolate so I was sort of brought up on it, which is not to say we never had milk chocolate. The woman next door used to visit her daughter who was in a sanitorium close to a wonderful candy store and she always brought white chocolate back to us. I really do love it. Taza has one that 95% cocoa and I love it. It's sort of pricey though.

My son's favorite cookie is an oatmeal bar with caramel and white chocolate layered in it. It is really, really good. For anyone who likes caramel it could be addictive so I only make it when he is around. I never had a snickerdoodle until a few years ago and loved them but I used nutmeg in them too because my daughter and I love nutmeg. Plus I put white chocolate chips in them.

Do I have you drooling? I have always been known as the dessert person in the family, I provided all of the desserts for big family occasions. I was also known as the Wine Diva but not anymore. ☹️ I never drank a lot but I really miss a glass of wine with dinner and I loved learning about wines.
JK

Please sign in or register to post a reply.