Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

I am grateful today that my D.I.L and I are on good terms now . I'm grateful that I am feeling much better but hate taking meds I'm so glad for all my cyber buddies it has made life a bit easier all the good suggestions we give to each other .

@gingerw

@becsbuddy My last colonoscopy in 2015, they waited to tell me until I checked in that having a taxi take me home was not good enough. So, because I didn't want to reschedule and do the prep again, I had the procedure without sedation. Dr told me I get a gold star.
Ginger

Jump to this post

Hi, @gingerw I give you a gold star for sure! ✨

I was in a similar position with an upper endoscopy and went through it w/o sedation. I heard that going through a colonoscopy w/o sedation would have been much worse.

@hopeful33250 @gingerw I give you both gold stars I was completely out with my colonoscopy I'm sensitive to meds and just a little put me out. I woke up in recovery room

@lioness @hopeful33250 Not bravery, just didn't want to do the prep again! I do not tolerate it well.
Ginger

@gingerw

@lioness @hopeful33250 Not bravery, just didn't want to do the prep again! I do not tolerate it well.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw I also do not tolerate the prep well. Once I had to take a break midway so the colonoscopy was not as good as it should have been. The next time, in preparation for that problem, I couldn’t eat many things for three days before it - no raw fruit or vegetables. That pretty much left me very little I could eat.
When I had my last one they said to have another in either 5 or 10 yeasts, I forget which. I felt like saying,”catch me if you can”.
JK

@parus

Stopping by to say thank you for all of the positive words and encouragement. So nice to visit briefly at the cuber table. I do miss y'all!!!! Cyber hugs.

Jump to this post

@parus - it's always a bright spot in the day when you stop by. As Ginger @gingerw said, we'll save your place. Hoping the best with your treatment tomorrow morning.

In reply to @chavela "STOP" + (show)
@chavela

Hi @chavela - Welcome to Connect! I'm Debbra and I'm a volunteer mentor. I'm not quite clear on your comment "STOP". Are you wondering how to get messages stopped from this thread? If so, we can help you understand how to turn them off. If not, and if you are wanting to participate in the Gratitude Discussion, I want to be the first to welcome you and invite you to share. We've got some caring and compassionate members here. Would you like to introduce yourself?

I have a lot to be grateful for. Three months into a pretty bad withdrawal from Effexor and constantly feeling sorry for myself, unable to see the end of it. I keep reminding myself this is temporary and that there are FAR worse things to experience!! But I think that the fact that effexor affects the brain exacerbates the dark ruminations. Today the dr called with the news I have a UTI, so I started the antibiotic bactrim. Holy cow. I've never itched this badly since I was on a morphine drip post hysterectomy. And the gastric distress, muscle pain, weird feelings....it honestly made me want to be experiencing "only" the withdrawals symptoms! It's all relative. Actually it got so bad that I decided to take the prozac which is supposed to help the withdrawal (supposedly and God willing, one dose can have a positive effect). I had been resisting it but maybe this was the path I needed to take. In any case, no more bactrim for me. And an attitude of gratitude tonight.

@debbraw

@parus - it's always a bright spot in the day when you stop by. As Ginger @gingerw said, we'll save your place. Hoping the best with your treatment tomorrow morning.

Jump to this post

@debbraw Thank you so much. Thankful to no longer dread the treatment.

@parus

@debbraw Thank you so much. Thankful to no longer dread the treatment.

Jump to this post

@parus We are all thinking of you and rooting for you. Keep us up on developments and results.

@sandij I don’t know much about withdrawal from Effexor or anything else really but I do sometimes read that discussion. It sounds like a really horrible drug to withdraw from, you are doing great. Of course that’s affecting you.
A UTI is just not what you need now, I hope it is cured quickly. I have only had one in my life, about 15 years ago. These did respond well to treatment.
JK

Please sign in or register to post a reply.