Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@gingerw I hope you get some answers and treatment you need. You know the saying it never rains but pours . You,ve got your hands full now. Good luck have a blessed day . Take a deep breath

Hello all. Stopping in to say hello and let you know the BCG treatment went well today. I was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer and have chosen to go a less invasive route. There was no sign of infection 6 weeks after the diagnosis and I am grateful. Hoping infection does not return. So far, so good. Thanks for the support from others. I am taking some time to nurture myself and still checking in at the cyber table from time to time. Heat warnings out in my area for the next 4 days. Thankful for AC!!

@parus

Hello all. Stopping in to say hello and let you know the BCG treatment went well today. I was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer and have chosen to go a less invasive route. There was no sign of infection 6 weeks after the diagnosis and I am grateful. Hoping infection does not return. So far, so good. Thanks for the support from others. I am taking some time to nurture myself and still checking in at the cyber table from time to time. Heat warnings out in my area for the next 4 days. Thankful for AC!!

Jump to this post

@parus Good to hear from you and glad things seem to be status quo right now . Hope they keep giving you good news . We here are having our elec. turned of from 8P.M. till 8A.M. Edison elec. is working on poles so will go to bed early probably. Thinking about you glad to hear from you from time to time. you take care of yourself and time out from everything.

@parus

Jump to this post

@parus Thank you for letting us know. I am so glad to hear you are getting your mind wrapped around the treatments, and able to tolerate them more. You know that you are in all our thoughts and we care that you come through this with winning colors. Please stop back by when it fits your schedule, and yay for you for taking care of yourself! Gentle hugs
Ginger

@gingerw

Today I am grateful. The heat wave has broken for the day and that is always a good thing. I am grateful for my nephrologist and my hematologist-oncologist. They are a great team and even though they're not in the same Medical Practice they communicate with each other. Last week they had a conference and my blood work is showing some possible grave irregularities. I am now set up for a PET CT scan next week, to find out some more information. I am grateful that the Imaging Center is patient to let me call three times a day and see if there are cancellations so the appointment can be advanced. I am not grateful for the fact that it is a 6 hour fast ahead of time, and I'm sitting here with no coffee until they open at 7:30 and I can call them! I miss my coffee at 4:30 each morning. All of this comes right as I am packing up to move two weeks from today, but I am grateful to have doctors that care.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw It sounds like you are in great hands, that's so important. When we feel confident of our doctors it makes such a huge difference.
I hope you get your scan soon and that the results will be good.
Up at 4:30? You will never see me at that hour.
JK

@contentandwell

@gingerw It sounds like you are in great hands, that's so important. When we feel confident of our doctors it makes such a huge difference.
I hope you get your scan soon and that the results will be good.
Up at 4:30? You will never see me at that hour.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell Alarm goes off around 4am. Husband is up and out the door at 4:30. I have decided that each day I will see him off, even though I may not have to be anywhere until 8am myself. I would never forgive myself if I failed to see him and he had a motorcycle accident. He has more than 750K safe miles on bikes, but.....
Ginger

@parus

Jump to this post

@parus Great news that the treatment went well. I hope taking the less invasive route works for you. Overall things sound positive. Do take time to nurture and care for yourself. We need that when we are not feeling well, particularly when facing a serious condition as you are.

I think the whole country is in a heatwave. Here in NH they are warning about temperatures up to 100 over the weekend. We have one air conditioner, in our bedroom. I think I will be spending a lot of time there or going to the mall. Either that or just driving around.
I bet the movie theaters will be jammed.
JK

@gingerw

@contentandwell Alarm goes off around 4am. Husband is up and out the door at 4:30. I have decided that each day I will see him off, even though I may not have to be anywhere until 8am myself. I would never forgive myself if I failed to see him and he had a motorcycle accident. He has more than 750K safe miles on bikes, but.....
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw Now I feel guilty! My husband works two days in a job that is primarily retired men -- he drives cars for Enterprise. So he is on the road all day but he leaves shortly after 6:00 without waking me.
If anyone has husbands who are retired and need something to take up a little time, being a driver for these car rental agencies works out well. The pay is horrible, but the camaraderie with other retired guys makes it worthwhile. Many are retired executives like himself, one is a retired airplane pilot. He gets together with some of them every Friday morning for coffee, and some used to go out for pizza monthly. There are a few women who drive also.
JK

Ginger you are very inspiring as well as a great testament to the facility you are in.

@parus

Jump to this post

@parus- Yahoo! I am glad for you that things went better than what was probably wreaking havoc in your mind before the treatment. Do you know if you will need more or do you have to have some testing before that decision is made?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.