Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@contentandwell

@gingerw Now I feel guilty! My husband works two days in a job that is primarily retired men -- he drives cars for Enterprise. So he is on the road all day but he leaves shortly after 6:00 without waking me.
If anyone has husbands who are retired and need something to take up a little time, being a driver for these car rental agencies works out well. The pay is horrible, but the camaraderie with other retired guys makes it worthwhile. Many are retired executives like himself, one is a retired airplane pilot. He gets together with some of them every Friday morning for coffee, and some used to go out for pizza monthly. There are a few women who drive also.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell JK, no need to feel guilty! This is something I chose to do. When I first moved here last year he kept saying don't worry you don't need to get up. But I just feel compelled to. His ride to work is about 15 miles each way and typically at that time of day there is traffic but not as bad as it would be a little bit later. Since he works 4 days a week Friday we get to sleep in until 5:30! Fortunately we are both early morning people and by 10 a.m. I feel the day is half done. We've already been discussing what he'll do once he retires; he figures it'll take about a year to decompress after working 40 years for the one company.
Ginger

@gingerw

@contentandwell JK, no need to feel guilty! This is something I chose to do. When I first moved here last year he kept saying don't worry you don't need to get up. But I just feel compelled to. His ride to work is about 15 miles each way and typically at that time of day there is traffic but not as bad as it would be a little bit later. Since he works 4 days a week Friday we get to sleep in until 5:30! Fortunately we are both early morning people and by 10 a.m. I feel the day is half done. We've already been discussing what he'll do once he retires; he figures it'll take about a year to decompress after working 40 years for the one company.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw My husband was similar. He was a manager in a defense company and worked there for over 40 years. He too took about a year before he found himself bored. I had gone back to work when my son started college and was enjoying my job and working so wanted to continue working for a while. He was an athlete in his younger years but never a golfer so he really had no interests to occupy him. This job is just enough. My brother-in-law does the same thing in MA.
Neither of us is an early bird by choice. Getting to my water aerobic class by 9:00, 8:30 on Saturdays is about the earliest I can manage three days. I miss working sometimes but when I really think about it I don’t have the time to work now.
Oh, and my husband was a motorcycle rider too in his younger years. He had a Norton.
JK

@merpreb

@parus- Yahoo! I am glad for you that things went better than what was probably wreaking havoc in your mind before the treatment. Do you know if you will need more or do you have to have some testing before that decision is made?

Jump to this post

@merpreb I have 5 more treatments with the BCG and if no infection returns treatments will go to once a month and so on. This was a positive experience as the nurse does the instillation of the BCG. She has been so helpful and informative. We both have a sense of humor and this makes the procedure feel less invasive. I have positive things to say about how this is being handled once we all were able to get on the same page. This type of thing is never something pleasant and it helps to have staff who realize the embarrassment that accompanies. The side effects from the 1st treatment have not been bad thus far. The nurse told me the side effects typically increase with each treatment. At least now I no longer dread it so much. I was the only one there that day for a treatment. Nice to once again be treated with compassion with a dash of humor.

@parus

@merpreb I have 5 more treatments with the BCG and if no infection returns treatments will go to once a month and so on. This was a positive experience as the nurse does the instillation of the BCG. She has been so helpful and informative. We both have a sense of humor and this makes the procedure feel less invasive. I have positive things to say about how this is being handled once we all were able to get on the same page. This type of thing is never something pleasant and it helps to have staff who realize the embarrassment that accompanies. The side effects from the 1st treatment have not been bad thus far. The nurse told me the side effects typically increase with each treatment. At least now I no longer dread it so much. I was the only one there that day for a treatment. Nice to once again be treated with compassion with a dash of humor.

Jump to this post

@parus So glad to hear the positivity in your post. And very glad you have a great team of paraprofessionals.
Ginger

@parus

Jump to this post

@parus Humor sure does help and it is nice when you feel the compassion and empathy from the nurse. It gives you a much greater sense of control when you can be fully present and involved. Good for you!

@parus

Jump to this post

@parus- I am so glad to hear this! When something so "delicate" has a chance of going two ways, it's always great when it's not the bad way! I remember when I had my port "installed" for chemo. The Dr. was leaving my chest exposed because he had cleaned it a bit early. The nurse kept pulling the sheet back over me. This wnet back ad forth several times. I finally said, I need some valium!

@parus

Hello all. Stopping in to say hello and let you know the BCG treatment went well today. I was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer and have chosen to go a less invasive route. There was no sign of infection 6 weeks after the diagnosis and I am grateful. Hoping infection does not return. So far, so good. Thanks for the support from others. I am taking some time to nurture myself and still checking in at the cyber table from time to time. Heat warnings out in my area for the next 4 days. Thankful for AC!!

Jump to this post

@Parus - So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'm hoping that your less invasive treatment works out wonderfully. Wishing you the best and glad you checked in. Please keep us posted.

@parus

Jump to this post

@parus I'm so glad that you felt that you were treated with respect and kindness! That means so much and you deserve nothing less.

@parus

Jump to this post

@parus It is always so good to hear that someone has had a good experience with their nurse! It makes a difficult experience much less difficult. And I’m glad to hear that your treatments are going well. And you sound better, too!

Stopping by to say thank you for all of the positive words and encouragement. So nice to visit briefly at the cuber table. I do miss y'all!!!! Cyber hugs.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.