Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@gingerw

@jakedduck1 Yes Jake I really quilt. By hand, yet. I do sew the pieces together by machine, though. And I finish the quilt by hand. It's been a hobby of mine since 1988.
Ginger

Jump to this post

There was a quilt of Mt Shasta (My favorite mountain) that I really wanted bad. It was being raffled of by the Mt Shasta museum years ago. I bought 100 tickets. I was devastated when I lost. Should have bought a thousand tickets. I finally could a lady who worked on it and she offered to make make me one but it never happened. Ive begged the museum director, Chamber of Commerce, ladies at the quilting society or whatever it’s called to make another one but all dead ends. They won’t tell me who won it or even contact them on my behalf to see if they would sell it.
Jake

@jakedduck1

There was a quilt of Mt Shasta (My favorite mountain) that I really wanted bad. It was being raffled of by the Mt Shasta museum years ago. I bought 100 tickets. I was devastated when I lost. Should have bought a thousand tickets. I finally could a lady who worked on it and she offered to make make me one but it never happened. Ive begged the museum director, Chamber of Commerce, ladies at the quilting society or whatever it’s called to make another one but all dead ends. They won’t tell me who won it or even contact them on my behalf to see if they would sell it.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 We drove past Mount Shasta on our way up here it was still covered with snow from the Memorial Day storm. I will have to take a look and see about drafting something up to do for you!
Ginger

@jakedduck1

@gingerw
I agree even mine would be unique, Uniquely ugly. It’s nice you have confidence in people. Sign of a good teacher but some of us are untalented sods. Not including you @jodeej. I’ll bet you a thousand dollars mine wouldn’t be the slightest bit artistic, you’d probably gag when you saw it. It wouldn’t even qualify for an F. Ginger, do you paint?
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Good morning! Are you always so down on yourself or is it just an act?? Most of the time you come across as a very caring, loving man who is devoted to his mom. And a funny man! Maybe you’re just giving us a hard time—are you? I do like you, though. You’ve dealt with lots of life’s problems and always seem to come out on top. You’re someone to be admired (even if you don’t like to cook)! P.S. I can’t draw a straight line, either!

@gingerw

@jakedduck1 We drove past Mount Shasta on our way up here it was still covered with snow from the Memorial Day storm. I will have to take a look and see about drafting something up to do for you!
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw Maybe @jakedduck1 could draw it for you!!!

@gingerw

@jakedduck1 Yes Jake I really quilt. By hand, yet. I do sew the pieces together by machine, though. And I finish the quilt by hand. It's been a hobby of mine since 1988.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw The closest I came to quilting was I tied the knots oue church had quilts for projects to give to hospitals . It was fun. My Mom did quilt. I did vacation around Lancaster Pa where we saw some beautiful quilts the Amish did

@gingerw

Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw My son is hiking from Yosemite to Mt Shasta a 250 mile hike 3 weeks he,ll be gone . I,ll have to email him about the snow but it might be gone by the time they get there . I pray everytime he goes hiking and that's every summer.

@gingerw

Today I am grateful. This afternoon we finally closed escrow on our retirement home. Now the fun and work of moving 750 miles begins. We are up here at the property, where the sellers will rent back for 4 weeks. Then I move in with the first load of things. We will be focused on the final outcome of being where we want to stay the remainder of our days. This is a picture of our trip's mascot sitting on the front fence.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw beautiful! And it looks like it’s only 1 floor! Perfect

@hopeful33250

@merpreb I had to reflect on your words, "Nothing in the natural world is straight so why should it be easy to draw straight lines?" That is such a great thought! Someone needs to make a poster of that to hang on a wall in every house. Just wish I could triple Like that post. Thanks so much.

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250- lol- anytime

@becsbuddy

@jakedduck1 Good morning! Are you always so down on yourself or is it just an act?? Most of the time you come across as a very caring, loving man who is devoted to his mom. And a funny man! Maybe you’re just giving us a hard time—are you? I do like you, though. You’ve dealt with lots of life’s problems and always seem to come out on top. You’re someone to be admired (even if you don’t like to cook)! P.S. I can’t draw a straight line, either!

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy
Nope, sadly it’s no act. I frequently say “It is what it is.” My Dad could do anything, sometimes I think I must be adopted to be so untalented. But I accept the way things are, no biggie. I’m as untalented as they come, it’s just a fact. I nearly burnt our house down three different times, stove fire, electrical fire and when a candle caught the mantle on fire. I’m accident prone too. I almost blew up my friends house when I ran into their gas meter and windows were open along that side of the house. She had a gas stove with pilot lights burning but the fireman got there quick and prevented that disaster. I broke my neighbors sliding glass door and fell through my friends living room ceiling. My Guardian Angel plucked me from the Pacific Ocean, kept me from going off Mt Shasta, I should have been a goner. He kept me unharmed when I fell off my roof, tree & latter. I was obviously being protected during seizures when I nearly walked into the Grand Canyon, walked off El Capitan in Yosemite. So many times. My guardian Angel definitely has a full time job keeping me safe. Sometimes I wonder if God sends Guardian angels to protects me so well because they fear I’d be to much of a menace in Heaven. I use to be able to cook and bake pretty good but fortunately those skills went by the wayside,
so there has been good luck too, lol.
Jake

@becsbuddy- I don't think that you can make this stuff up! lol

Please sign in or register to post a reply.