Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

Today I am grateful. This afternoon we finally closed escrow on our retirement home. Now the fun and work of moving 750 miles begins. We are up here at the property, where the sellers will rent back for 4 weeks. Then I move in with the first load of things. We will be focused on the final outcome of being where we want to stay the remainder of our days. This is a picture of our trip's mascot sitting on the front fence.
Ginger

@gingerw

Today I am grateful. This afternoon we finally closed escrow on our retirement home. Now the fun and work of moving 750 miles begins. We are up here at the property, where the sellers will rent back for 4 weeks. Then I move in with the first load of things. We will be focused on the final outcome of being where we want to stay the remainder of our days. This is a picture of our trip's mascot sitting on the front fence.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw Nice looking home Congrats or maybe wait till your done lol

@gingerw

@jakedduck1 @jodeej That one of the beauties of Zentangle practice. There are no rules like that! The rules are that you are grateful to put pen to paper, appreciate your time spent focusing, and in the end, appreciate (once again) what you created. Taking the training with 150 others, we all followed the same verbal instructions, and absolutely each one of us had a different piece to show at the end. Each was uniquely our own and each was beautiful. Believe me, it is doable!
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw
I agree even mine would be unique, Uniquely ugly. It’s nice you have confidence in people. Sign of a good teacher but some of us are untalented sods. Not including you @jodeej. I’ll bet you a thousand dollars mine wouldn’t be the slightest bit artistic, you’d probably gag when you saw it. It wouldn’t even qualify for an F. Ginger, do you paint?
Jake

@gingerw

Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw - Wow! I really love that stone chimney. Great home. Looks like it is just waiting for retirement memories to be made!

@jakedduck1

@gingerw
I agree even mine would be unique, Uniquely ugly. It’s nice you have confidence in people. Sign of a good teacher but some of us are untalented sods. Not including you @jodeej. I’ll bet you a thousand dollars mine wouldn’t be the slightest bit artistic, you’d probably gag when you saw it. It wouldn’t even qualify for an F. Ginger, do you paint?
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 No, Leonard, I Don't paint, but will have to learn, since I will be doing some "freshening up" of the new house. Fine painting, no, but I do make quilts.
Ginger

@gingerw

@jakedduck1 No, Leonard, I Don't paint, but will have to learn, since I will be doing some "freshening up" of the new house. Fine painting, no, but I do make quilts.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw
You quilt really? Do you use a machine or do it all by hand? Do you appliqué? We might have to yak!!!
Jake

@gingerw

Ginger

Jump to this post

@ginger- What a cozy home! Hopefully you will be blessed with years of great health and happiness living there! Congratulations Ginger!

@merpreb

Jake- Nothing in the natural world is straight so why should it be easy to draw straight lines?

Jump to this post

@merpreb I had to reflect on your words, "Nothing in the natural world is straight so why should it be easy to draw straight lines?" That is such a great thought! Someone needs to make a poster of that to hang on a wall in every house. Just wish I could triple Like that post. Thanks so much.

@gingerw

Ginger

Jump to this post

What a charming house, @gingerw! You will surely enjoy the process of fixing it up and then retiring and enjoying it.

@jakedduck1

@gingerw
You quilt really? Do you use a machine or do it all by hand? Do you appliqué? We might have to yak!!!
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Yes Jake I really quilt. By hand, yet. I do sew the pieces together by machine, though. And I finish the quilt by hand. It's been a hobby of mine since 1988.
Ginger

Please sign in or register to post a reply.