Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jakedduck1

@hopeful33250
Morning Teresa,
Not over 3/4 full? oops. Not much liquid? oops.
Spices? oops. Well, I guess you've figured out I'm no Julia Child.
The roast wasn't very flavorful but its been keeping me alive. I've learned not to expect much so I'm never disappointed.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1
Awww, remember that practice makes "better" especially when it comes to cooking. Here are some good tips for using a slow cooker, https://www.thespruceeats.com/crockpot-101-483001.
Braising is the first thing on the list, that's what I was referring to as "browning the meat" before putting it in the slow cooker, it helps break down the meat and makes it more tender and also gives it a "browned, cooked" look.

@parus

I do love oatmeal! The options are limitless. I place a square of unsweetened bakers chocolate and all natural peanut butter in a bowl of hot steel cut oatmeal with fresh fruit and stir. I call this my oatmeal sundae. 😋 Mmmmm

Jump to this post

@parus sounds yummy I add cocoa to my oatmeal or cream of wheat ,rice instead of buying Malto Meal. Add any fruit to oatmeal never thought of peanut butter have to get instant protein for the morning. yea

@merpreb @hopeful33250 @parus Good morning from the West Coast having my smoothie

@jakedduck1

@hopeful33250
Morning Teresa,
Not over 3/4 full? oops. Not much liquid? oops.
Spices? oops. Well, I guess you've figured out I'm no Julia Child.
The roast wasn't very flavorful but its been keeping me alive. I've learned not to expect much so I'm never disappointed.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Did you forget to put salt and pepper on roast ? Ketchup will do also

@jodeej

@parus @merpreb my dad makes some kind of a concoction with oatmeal and tomato juice. I've never had the guts to try it.

Jump to this post

@jodeej Oh yuk maybe on chicken or a rump roast but oatmeal ???????????????

@lioness

@jakedduck1 Did you forget to put salt and pepper on roast ? Ketchup will do also

Jump to this post

@lioness
Yep, forgot the seasoning and ketchup isn’t allowed.

@jakedduck1

@lioness
Yep, forgot the seasoning and ketchup isn’t allowed.

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Love ketchup but then I'm from Heinz country

@lioness

@jakedduck1 Love ketchup but then I'm from Heinz country

Jump to this post

I love it too but has to much sugar in it.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@contentandwell
I'll try that. Can't have any juice, only water and 1 cup milk so I'll use sodium free chicken broth. If I get overly ambitious I'll have it with my spinach salad.
Thanks JK,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 I forget to mention, you bake it covered.
JK

Please sign in or register to post a reply.