Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

In reply to @jodeej "Salad?" + (show)
@jodeej

@jodeej
Spinach salad, good suggestion. I love spinach salad. I wonder if a restaurant would have that???
Jake

@jodeej

Bake at 425° for 40 min sitting half way through. It's delicious. You can substitute veggies for ones you like.

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 it should say stirring not sitting. Lol

@jakedduck1

@jodeej
Spinach salad, good suggestion. I love spinach salad. I wonder if a restaurant would have that???
Jake

Jump to this post

If you ask, it's a possibility!

@jodeej
Oh nuts, sitting was my favorite part of the recipe.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@jodeej
Oh nuts, sitting was my favorite part of the recipe.
Jake

Jump to this post

You can still sit, you'll just have to get up to stir. Ha ha

@jodeej

You can still sit, you'll just have to get up to stir. Ha ha

Jump to this post

@jodeej
Okay, I’ll try and tuff it out. Have to go to the store though, always an ordeal.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@lioness
Are you kidding Linda!
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 That's the easiest just clean celery,carrots,cauliflower zucchini,cucumber there you,ve got it

@jakedduck1

Anyone have any ideas of what to fix to eat that’s easy, extremely low in fat, sodium free without using anything canned or packaged?
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 One of the simplest things I make is boneless chicken breasts in the oven, covered, with a small amount of butter, lemon juice and pepper on them. They come out tender and are pretty good, if a bit bland. If I recall correctly you cook them for about 20 - 25 minutes at 325. If you want to really reduce the fat and use no butter you could probably substitute either chicken broth, white wine, or maybe even apple juice for a little additional flavor. Hmm, I think I'll try that myself the next time I make them.
JK

@contentandwell Never tried apple juice but sounds good I,LL try it

Please sign in or register to post a reply.