Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@gingerw

@jakedduck oatmeal with unsweetened applesauce, sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top. Yum yum
Ginger

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 You would be surprised at how good it tastes if you add applesauce or some berries, plus I add a couple of tablespoons of chopped nuts (walnuts and almonds are both good for you and have protein). I do lots of cinnamon too, and sprinkle about a half teaspoon of coarse sugar on top. I am mildly diabetic but a half teaspoon of sugar only has 8 calories and an equivalent amount of carbs.
JK

@hopeful33250

@jakedduck1
I also put pureed (canned) pumpkin in oatmeal with a little cinnamon on top. Not quite a pumpkin pie, but tasty nonetheless.

Jump to this post

@gingerw We have been getting some great options here. I watched Shark Tank once recently and there was someone on there who has a restaurant in NYC named Oat Meal, with all kinds of varieties of oatmeal for breakfast and lunch. I may see if there is a website, I could get even more ideas there.
JK

@debbraw I just had some good news I'm grateful to watch my grandson growing up he is playing drums in the schools play in March I'm grateful my daughter in law invited me to it 😁

@contentandwell

@gingerw We have been getting some great options here. I watched Shark Tank once recently and there was someone on there who has a restaurant in NYC named Oat Meal, with all kinds of varieties of oatmeal for breakfast and lunch. I may see if there is a website, I could get even more ideas there.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell How many ways can you make oatmeal?

@jodeej

@parus @merpreb my dad makes some kind of a concoction with oatmeal and tomato juice. I've never had the guts to try it.

Jump to this post

@jodeej I sometimes have oatmeal for lunch, so that could be good then. Do you know what else he adds? Maybe some cheese and make it like an oatmeal crusted pizza! I am pretty certain at this point that I have become lactose intolerant but I seem to be getting a lot of help taking lactaid so I can eat cheese again, not just aged cheese.
JK

@lioness

@contentandwell How many ways can you make oatmeal?

Jump to this post

@lioness I always used to make it with berries and nuts, and a very slight sprinkle of coarse sugar (I like the crunch of coarse sugar). For a while, I thought berries were giving me a problem so I started using applesauce. Sometimes I add a few drops of vanilla too. I have also sauteed apples with cinnamon and added them but applesauce is a lot easier. One night I was in the local ER for hours and hours and was so hungry. I commented to the doctor that I was going to make some oatmeal with sauteed apples and cinnamon when I got home and he was practically drooling -- he must have been hungry too.
That's about all I do generally, but some good ideas here that I think I will try. I do always add cinnamon.
JK

@contentandwell

@lioness I always used to make it with berries and nuts, and a very slight sprinkle of coarse sugar (I like the crunch of coarse sugar). For a while, I thought berries were giving me a problem so I started using applesauce. Sometimes I add a few drops of vanilla too. I have also sauteed apples with cinnamon and added them but applesauce is a lot easier. One night I was in the local ER for hours and hours and was so hungry. I commented to the doctor that I was going to make some oatmeal with sauteed apples and cinnamon when I got home and he was practically drooling -- he must have been hungry too.
That's about all I do generally, but some good ideas here that I think I will try. I do always add cinnamon.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell I love cinnamon also add sevtpy coffee in morning

@contentandwell

JK

Jump to this post

I love cinnamon!

@contentandwell

@jodeej I sometimes have oatmeal for lunch, so that could be good then. Do you know what else he adds? Maybe some cheese and make it like an oatmeal crusted pizza! I am pretty certain at this point that I have become lactose intolerant but I seem to be getting a lot of help taking lactaid so I can eat cheese again, not just aged cheese.
JK

Jump to this post

JK, I don't remember for sure as it didn't sound very good to me. Lol I think there was some frozen veggies and perhaps some ground beef? I'll ask him and let you know.

@jodeej

I love cinnamon!

Jump to this post

@jodeej Coffee, chocolate,applesauce oatmeal lots of uses for it it's a warm ,fuzzy spice feeling

Please sign in or register to post a reply.