Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

hahah no, over the chicken. Sorry. Blahhhhhhh

@merpreb

hahah no, over the chicken. Sorry. Blahhhhhhh

Jump to this post

@merpreb Did someone forget the @ to avoid confusion? My morning laughter. The visual here. 🤣😂

@parus

I do love oatmeal! The options are limitless. I place a square of unsweetened bakers chocolate and all natural peanut butter in a bowl of hot steel cut oatmeal with fresh fruit and stir. I call this my oatmeal sundae. 😋 Mmmmm

Jump to this post

@parus that sounds delicious!

@parus

Tomatoes on oatmeal?! Even too far out there for this member with some peculiar tastes. @merpreb Seriously? Add some tortilla chips and call yours taco salad. 🥴We can use my recipe for dessert.

Jump to this post

@parus @merpreb my dad makes some kind of a concoction with oatmeal and tomato juice. I've never had the guts to try it.

@jakedduck1

@jodeej
Oops, I used a lot more liquid than that. I put a lot of veggies in. I used sodium free chicken broth since I didn’t have any beef broth. It will be interesting.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 When you use a slow cooker, you don't need a lot of liquid because there isn't any steam to escape and dry out the ingredients. Just enough liquid (broth, etc.) to give it some taste and add some spices that will perk up the flavor (like Mrs. Dash products). Your slow cooker should never be more than 3/4 full. By the way, how did the roast turn out?

@jodeej

@parus @merpreb my dad makes some kind of a concoction with oatmeal and tomato juice. I've never had the guts to try it.

Jump to this post

🤢

Today I am grateful to read the lightheadedness on this group! It is salve to our souls. I am grateful to have my bonus son [my stepson, who calls me his bonus mom] here for his reset as a long haul trucker, safe from all the dangerous road conditions right now. Grateful to have food already in fridge to fix a good inner tonight.
Ginger

@hopeful33250

@jakedduck1 When you use a slow cooker, you don't need a lot of liquid because there isn't any steam to escape and dry out the ingredients. Just enough liquid (broth, etc.) to give it some taste and add some spices that will perk up the flavor (like Mrs. Dash products). Your slow cooker should never be more than 3/4 full. By the way, how did the roast turn out?

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250
Morning Teresa,
Not over 3/4 full? oops. Not much liquid? oops.
Spices? oops. Well, I guess you've figured out I'm no Julia Child.
The roast wasn't very flavorful but its been keeping me alive. I've learned not to expect much so I'm never disappointed.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@hopeful33250
Morning Teresa,
Not over 3/4 full? oops. Not much liquid? oops.
Spices? oops. Well, I guess you've figured out I'm no Julia Child.
The roast wasn't very flavorful but its been keeping me alive. I've learned not to expect much so I'm never disappointed.
Jake

Jump to this post

You will have to try again in a week or two. You've learned some lessons and have no way to go but up from here!

Julia Child would gasp at a crockpot. 😉

Please sign in or register to post a reply.