COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@chezpl69

Hi. Did you have your MRI and vaccine close to each other?

Jump to this post

yes the MRI was in December and the Moderna in January - 4 weeks apart

@ladytnac

Thank you, John. I ultimately found the video on youtube, but since I am a new member to this site, it won't let me its URL links. It is one of the FPN videos from 2020 on CIPN called Chemo-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy.
It was an informative video. I will be having breast surgery due to Triple Negative Apocrine Cancer, then starting chemo in a month doing a regimen that include Taxene drugs like Taxol or Taxotere (sp?) depending on the result of my sentinel node biopsy. I know that CIPN is highly probable, especially since I have a little in my foot already, before even beginning chemo! I am so very frightened of all the side effects in addition to the surgery and the cancer... It has been less than 2 months since I have been diagnosed with cancer.

Jump to this post

@ladytnac, I can understand your fear of worsening neuropathy or that the damage may be irreversible. Your chemo team will closely monitor your accumulative neuropathic side effects and lower the dose if necessary to avoid permanent damage. Be sure to let them know that you already have some neuropathy or if you have diabetes or other conditions that make you prone to neuropathy.

I invite you to also follow the Breast Cancer group here: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/breast-cancer/

There are many discussions that will interest you, but here are 2 specific discussions to get you started:
- Breast Cancer and Neuropathy https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/just-to-say-hello/
- Triple Negative Breast Cancer: What treatments are you having? https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/triple-negative-breast-cancer/

@revisl

yes the MRI was in December and the Moderna in January - 4 weeks apart

Jump to this post

I had 2 MRI in December and the Pfizer vaccine in February. Unfortunately MY experience with first shot was negative. I'm going to make this short. I started with burning, after many blood tests that didn't show anything wrong, I finally had a biopsy for SFN which came back positive and it's been hell since then.

@silvern12

I am seeing a mayo neurologist in two weeks and I will be asking his opinion on the vaccine because that’s when my neuropathy began and got worse with booster.

Jump to this post

If you decide to share anything about your visit, I would sure like to know a Mayo doctor's opinion about the connection between the covid vaccines and neuropathy. Joy

Update: After my fourth Pfizer booster in 1/22, I have been dealing with numbness, tingling and vibrations in my extremities ever since. All tests have been negative so far. You can read my old posts for background.
Finally had a televisit with a neurologist at a major teaching hospital. She said she has many patients that present to her with peripheral neuropathies after the covid vaccination but ALSO patients who have had covid and now have peripheral neuropathies. So, vaccination or covid, you can end up with neuropathy either way if your system is so inclined. She believes it may be a small fiber neuropathy. I am scheduled to have a battery of tests done to rule out any under lying disease like rheumatoid arthritis, then maybe a skin biopsy. But, in almost 50% of cases, no cause at all is found for SNF. It is idiopathic. On a happier note, she said symptoms may come and go , but none of her patients became progressively worse. Anyway, that's the update.

@selene53

Update: After my fourth Pfizer booster in 1/22, I have been dealing with numbness, tingling and vibrations in my extremities ever since. All tests have been negative so far. You can read my old posts for background.
Finally had a televisit with a neurologist at a major teaching hospital. She said she has many patients that present to her with peripheral neuropathies after the covid vaccination but ALSO patients who have had covid and now have peripheral neuropathies. So, vaccination or covid, you can end up with neuropathy either way if your system is so inclined. She believes it may be a small fiber neuropathy. I am scheduled to have a battery of tests done to rule out any under lying disease like rheumatoid arthritis, then maybe a skin biopsy. But, in almost 50% of cases, no cause at all is found for SNF. It is idiopathic. On a happier note, she said symptoms may come and go , but none of her patients became progressively worse. Anyway, that's the update.

Jump to this post

I had the moderna in 2021 got covid after the first shot. I called CDC and spoke to health department prior to getting the second moderna shot was given the go head. I started developing neuropathy 1 week after the second shot. I am still suffering from it

I got the Moderna vaccines and boosters and developed PN shortly afterwards. Not positive it caused it but a coincidence in timing, MAYBE

@dgneal13

I had the moderna in 2021 got covid after the first shot. I called CDC and spoke to health department prior to getting the second moderna shot was given the go head. I started developing neuropathy 1 week after the second shot. I am still suffering from it

Jump to this post

@dgneal13 Hi. Do these reactions get reported somehow on the VAERS database?

I have taken all Pfizer Covid vaccines available to date, along with Gaba 300mg X 3 daily for over 6 years to combat post-herpetic neuralgia surrounding left eye.
Within approximately the last 10 months, a new problem arrived: extreme leg fatigue.
I'm becoming more and more suspicious that there's a fatigue/vaccine connection.

@bustrbrwn22

@dgneal13 Hi. Do these reactions get reported somehow on the VAERS database?

Jump to this post

VAERS is self reporting,so that means the person experiencing the side effect needs to report it. That is my understanding anyway. Because it is self reporting, there is really no verification of who is reporting what. In other words, people could write anything and it would still be logged in to the data base.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.