COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@detc

Has anyone who had a diagnosis of Covid vaccine induced peripheral neuropathy gone on to receive additional Covid shots or boosters? If so, would you share your experience?

Jump to this post

No dr would admit it is a possibility but I am pretty sure the booster set it all off because acted up a couple of days after the shot. It is 9 months and feet stiffness and numbness still there but tingling electrical feeling and leg pain getting a little Better I will not get a 4th booster. My husband got afib right after booster also and so many people I know had issues. Drs just wont address this

@detc

Has anyone who had a diagnosis of Covid vaccine induced peripheral neuropathy gone on to receive additional Covid shots or boosters? If so, would you share your experience?

Jump to this post

I had Covid related neuropathy and got the booster but the neuropathy returned and lasted for months so I will not be getting another booster.

Thank you, Beegie, for sharing that with me. I’m sorry that you experienced a return of the neuropathy and hope that you will heal soon.

@detc

Jump to this post

I have gotten all 4 shots. Neuropathy still occurring after getting each shot. But I cannot determine any pattern on when the flare ups occur. Fortunately my neuropathy is not debilitating. Possibly due to my age (56) or the fact I exercise regularly. I felt like the neuropathy side effects are better than getting Covid.

@jcc352

I have gotten all 4 shots. Neuropathy still occurring after getting each shot. But I cannot determine any pattern on when the flare ups occur. Fortunately my neuropathy is not debilitating. Possibly due to my age (56) or the fact I exercise regularly. I felt like the neuropathy side effects are better than getting Covid.

Jump to this post

Thank you very much for reporting your experience. It gives me input to consider for my difficult decision. From what I have read on the forum, I can get neuropathy again from the vaccine and also from a case of Covid itself. It’s a matter now of which might be to a lesser degree.

I have chemo induced neuropathy. I've now had 4 Pfizer shots with no ill effects. My neuropathy was worsened, however, when I went on Anastrozole and when I tried red yeast rice in place of statins for cholesterol.

@jse14

Hi @lynndenver @selene53 @cbdh19,
I see we are all in the Denver/Colorado area and wanted to connect. I've been reading through this board absolutely horrified that there are so many of us suffering from neuropathy after the COVID vaccines and yet we are all still begging for help from the medical community. I will share that several of my doctors here have admitted to me that they have other patients like us with neuropathy injuries after the COVID vaccines. Perhaps we have seen some of the same providers, or more likely, there are many of us out there who have not yet found forums like this. Please know you are not alone.

I was very healthy, in my early 30s, when I got the first two COVID vaccines in 2021, so to develop this horrible neuropathy from it at my age was a complete shock. I am so sorry you are all suffering as well. I hope your appointments go well and we can all find healing. 

Jump to this post

I'm so sorry that you developed vaccine-induced neuropathy at such a young age. It has been a major life challenge for me, but would have been much more difficult to cope when I was younger. I'm slowly improving and I hope you are, too.

Peer Mentors,
Please indicate whether Mayo neurologists are aware there are 141 "pages" of comments here from patients suffering neuropathy as an adverse event of the Covid vaccines. The silence from the medical community is deafening and a violation of the Hippocratic Oath. I understand this forum is for patients, but Mayo Neurology should be made aware of the number of reports here in just one forum.

@pacer3702

Peer Mentors,
Please indicate whether Mayo neurologists are aware there are 141 "pages" of comments here from patients suffering neuropathy as an adverse event of the Covid vaccines. The silence from the medical community is deafening and a violation of the Hippocratic Oath. I understand this forum is for patients, but Mayo Neurology should be made aware of the number of reports here in just one forum.

Jump to this post

@pacer3702, the medical community is aware of patient reported outcomes of vaccines. That is why it is important that patients report their adverse events through VAERS.
- Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS): https://vaers.hhs.gov/

It is through the official reporting system that you can make the most difference.
I hope you did.

@colleenyoung

@pacer3702, the medical community is aware of patient reported outcomes of vaccines. That is why it is important that patients report their adverse events through VAERS.
- Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS): https://vaers.hhs.gov/

It is through the official reporting system that you can make the most difference.
I hope you did.

Jump to this post

Ms. Young, I understand your point and it is valid, but there is a problem when the standard approach of entrusting one’s own physician with your illness isn’t working. By and large, most of the people on this thread are being ignored or placated by their physicians, or their physician just doesn’t know how to help them. You begin to lose trust in the only system of care you have, and VAERS is part of the same system. Additionally, VAERS is only one source of data. Other evidence needs to be considered as well. What I wish is that the few who do seem to have docs who believe them and really are trying to figure this out would ask those physicians to take this problem forward and increase awareness of it through their professional channels. I have personally asked my own neurologist, who practices at an academic medical center, to gather some of his colleagues to research these vaccine reactions. Unfortunately, he does not fall into the group who is motivated to help.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.