COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@chezpl69

I had 2 MRI in December and the Pfizer vaccine in February. Unfortunately MY experience with first shot was negative. I'm going to make this short. I started with burning, after many blood tests that didn't show anything wrong, I finally had a biopsy for SFN which came back positive and it's been hell since then.

Jump to this post

Have they offered you any treatment or suggestions to improve the SFN?

@selene53

Have they offered you any treatment or suggestions to improve the SFN?

Jump to this post

Yes the usual, gabapentin, cymbalta, nortriptyline,......which I'm too scared to take. For now I deal with all my symptoms the best way I can.

@bustrbrwn22

@dgneal13 Hi. Do these reactions get reported somehow on the VAERS database?

Jump to this post

Yes sent it in May of 2021

Well, now Omicron boosters are due to roll out next week. I am almost 70 and severely immunocompromised and my over 70 year old husband has many lung issues. I am still experiencing all the numbness and tingling from my 4th booster in January 2022. Are any of you considering getting this new Omicron booster despite all the issues we are experiencing? Am I crazy to even think of doing this? It's worrisome to me, as an RN, that these new Omicron boosters have not been tested to people, only 8 mice. 8 MICE! The US is the only country using this booster as other countries are using an earlier Omicron shot that is said to be effective against BA4 and BA5. Honestly, I don't know who to believe anymore. I will be asking the neurologist when I meet with her next week, but I wonder if anybody really knows. Thoughts?

I took the vaccines. My peripheral neuropathy got a lot worse.

Was it the vaccines?

How would I know?

@selene53

Well, now Omicron boosters are due to roll out next week. I am almost 70 and severely immunocompromised and my over 70 year old husband has many lung issues. I am still experiencing all the numbness and tingling from my 4th booster in January 2022. Are any of you considering getting this new Omicron booster despite all the issues we are experiencing? Am I crazy to even think of doing this? It's worrisome to me, as an RN, that these new Omicron boosters have not been tested to people, only 8 mice. 8 MICE! The US is the only country using this booster as other countries are using an earlier Omicron shot that is said to be effective against BA4 and BA5. Honestly, I don't know who to believe anymore. I will be asking the neurologist when I meet with her next week, but I wonder if anybody really knows. Thoughts?

Jump to this post

@selene53 listen to your gut. Doctors do not have to deal with reactions to the vaccine or offer you any remedy for unintended (not the same as known) consequences.

@total99

I took the vaccines. My peripheral neuropathy got a lot worse.

Was it the vaccines?

How would I know?

Jump to this post

Yes, we really do not know.

I took the vaccines in good faith.

@bustrbrwn22

@selene53 listen to your gut. Doctors do not have to deal with reactions to the vaccine or offer you any remedy for unintended (not the same as known) consequences.

Jump to this post

Had bad symptoms with vaccine. I will be more cautious in the future.

@detc

I have not taken Evusheld but just discussed the possibility with my neurologist. At her suggestion, I have an appointment with an allergist/immunologist in November to discuss what happened and what options may be safe for me. I’m sure the subject of Evusheld will be discussed. My neurologist said that her other similar patients have all stayed away from any further vaccines. The most concerning thing she told me was that there is a possibility of an even worse case of neuropathy possible from either another vaccine or a case of Covid. I would be interested, as you inquired, if anyone has successfully received Evusheld as an option and whether they had any negative consequences. From what I’ve read, if you had an allergic reaction to the mRNA vaccines, you would likely have the same with Evusheld. I don’t know if that would pertain to developing neuropathy. It also has some stated cardiac risks, but generally for patients who have existing cardiac issues. It seems that nothing is totally risk free.

Jump to this post

Would love to know what they tell you about the risk of you getting Evusheld if you wish to share it. My Rheumatologist suggest I get it but I’m concerned after what 1 Pfizer did to me. But I really want some protection from covid.

@dhamil

Would love to know what they tell you about the risk of you getting Evusheld if you wish to share it. My Rheumatologist suggest I get it but I’m concerned after what 1 Pfizer did to me. But I really want some protection from covid.

Jump to this post

I was able to see the immunologist already. We had a lengthy discussion about probable, vaccine induced neuropathy and the concerns of getting more boosters vs increasing risk of being unprotected and getting Covid. Of course, as we’ve all learned, none of these preventative measures guarantees not getting Covid, but in general, lessens severity. She felt that Evusheld would be a good and safe plan for me. I am otherwise healthy. I have no known heart issues, which is definitely an issue to be addressed with Evusheld. She said that she felt comfortable prescribing the injections for me, that she would take it herself and she would tell her parents to take it. That gave me some reassurance about moving on with it. I had to be approved because Evusheld is generally reserved for immunocompromised patients, but there are exceptions for those of us who have had serious side effects, likely from the vaccines. I am scheduled to get my injections later this week. I’m hoping that it will be my answer to maintain some level of immunity from a serious case of Covid. I think every doctor and patient needs to evaluate whether it’s advisable in each case. I did a lot of research on my own. There is a also a patient fact sheet and a health care provider fact sheet on Evusheld available on the internet. I hope this can help you in some way. Good luck.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.