COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

Has your dr recommended evusheld injection of antibodies?

@pacer3702

After 16 months of disability due to sensory and motor peripheral neuropathy that began within 2 weeks of the first Pfizer vaccine, I would not even consider the current boosters. As stated in the following article, the antibodies induced by the boosters have minimal effectiveness against the current Omicron strains. The booster therefore is not worth the risk for someone who previously had an adverse reaction. Hopefully, as the article indicates, a vaccine will be developed that does not encode the toxic spike protein (and also aggravate autoimmune reactions induced by the vaccine). At that point, I might consider another Covid vaccine.
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20220805/Study-identifies-broad-spectrum-antibody-that-neutralizes-SARS-CoV-2-variants-of-concern.aspx

Jump to this post

I totally agree. I had an adverse reaction to the first Pfizer vaccine within 15mins, with a cascade of symptoms to follow - brain-fog, tremors, heart/lung pain (lasted 4 days), paresthesia, neuropathy, tinnitus... The tremors and brain-fog got better after 2 months. The paresthesia and neuropathy in my legs/feet, and tinnitus have not gone away - 16months later. Concerned about catching Covid, I got the Novavax jab 5 months ago, which had fewer side-effects (fatigue and heart arrhythmia that lasted a week), but still got Covid 6 weeks ago, which exacerbated the paresthesia and brain-fog, and took 3 weeks for the brain-fog to lift. Even though the Covid was pretty bad, I’d rather have that again than do another vaccine. I think it is just too risky for someone like myself, with these vaccine-induced neurological issues. Until they develop a vaccine without the offending spike, I’ll take my chances…

@ninette

Last week I read a research report on NMBI based on findings at VAERS about side effects of the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) and apparently there are many, including neuropathy and Bell's Palsy. I knew it but doctors didn't take my complaints seriously. And in september we are advised to take a second booster but I'm hesitating- I would probably take half a dose of Moderna, but not a full dose as after every shot my symptoms got worse and lasted longer: neuropathy in both legs, stiff legs, pain all over, woozy 'out of it' feeling...the last time it stayed for 2 months. Horrible. But obviously I don't want Covid again either -had it in March 2020 and got it from my physiotherapist (I hardly saw people during the lockdowns). Ugh. The vaccines obviously were not tested on people with nerve issues.

Jump to this post

My PN got considerably worse after second Pfizer. Didn’t have another one after that and frankly what I now know about the MRNA vaccine I won’t go near another one

Has anyone who had a diagnosis of Covid vaccine induced peripheral neuropathy gone on to receive additional Covid shots or boosters? If so, would you share your experience?

I have had PN in both feet, legs and hands since my second Moderna, May2021. I will NOT be getting a booster. I did contract Covid over the 4th of July, as did my husband who did have a 3 rd booster. We were equally sick and he tested positive for days longer than I did even though he was sick for 3 days before I was. I had a terrible flare up of my PN right afterwards, seems to be calming down now. I don’t think it will ever go away, but I’m not taking the chance of having it get worse. 😓

@amyd67

I have had PN in both feet, legs and hands since my second Moderna, May2021. I will NOT be getting a booster. I did contract Covid over the 4th of July, as did my husband who did have a 3 rd booster. We were equally sick and he tested positive for days longer than I did even though he was sick for 3 days before I was. I had a terrible flare up of my PN right afterwards, seems to be calming down now. I don’t think it will ever go away, but I’m not taking the chance of having it get worse. 😓

Jump to this post

I also have PN in both feet, legs, and partially in my hands since my second Moderna shot as well (same time frame). I also will NOT be getting a booster.

I have seen a neurologist and he has me on 300mg Gabapentin nightly. I cannot tell that it is working at all after being on it for over six months now.

I have added CBD+THC gummies (25mg CBD + 2mg THC) and they help me get the "I'm on fire" down to "Man, this really hurts". I have progressed from a walker to a cane. I am only 56 years old and should NOT need a walker or cane. Before the jabs, I had no neuropathy and no need for a walker or cane.

Did I mention no booster for me?

@pacer3702

After 16 months of disability due to sensory and motor peripheral neuropathy that began within 2 weeks of the first Pfizer vaccine, I would not even consider the current boosters. As stated in the following article, the antibodies induced by the boosters have minimal effectiveness against the current Omicron strains. The booster therefore is not worth the risk for someone who previously had an adverse reaction. Hopefully, as the article indicates, a vaccine will be developed that does not encode the toxic spike protein (and also aggravate autoimmune reactions induced by the vaccine). At that point, I might consider another Covid vaccine.
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20220805/Study-identifies-broad-spectrum-antibody-that-neutralizes-SARS-CoV-2-variants-of-concern.aspx

Jump to this post

Have you successfully filed for and been approved for disability with your peripheral neuropathy? I filed back in May and am still waiting for a response, which they said would be 5-6 months after filing (November timeframe).

I never in a million years would have imagined I'd be in this position and need help financially due to vaccine injury. The peripheral neuropathy feels like I am on fire from the inside out. Most days it is unbearable and I end up in tears all while still trying to work and get through the day.

@txsongbird

Have you successfully filed for and been approved for disability with your peripheral neuropathy? I filed back in May and am still waiting for a response, which they said would be 5-6 months after filing (November timeframe).

I never in a million years would have imagined I'd be in this position and need help financially due to vaccine injury. The peripheral neuropathy feels like I am on fire from the inside out. Most days it is unbearable and I end up in tears all while still trying to work and get through the day.

Jump to this post

I hope you get the assistance from SS Disability soon. I know you can’t receive it until you’ve been deemed disabled for 6 months. I was devastated to having my career come to an abrupt halt, and put off requesting it for a year in hopes I could shake this thing off and get back some (or all) working ability. But when I applied, it was very smooth; the paperwork, links to doctors and medical records, etc. were all in order; they even paid retroactively for the time I could have been drawing. The amount is insulting compared to what I lost in earnings, but it helps, especially since I had planned to work and continue to save for retirement another 10 years. But, I’m thinking positive, and hope you have a smooth process. It saddens me to hear some folks hire attorneys who take a % of their entitlement from them, when they can apply without them. One thing to note; if you’re disabled from neuropathy to where you can’t work, you don’t need a cause for your neuropathy. My neuropathy cause is not known and it came long before Covid and Covid vaccines. So keep your chin up, I hope the processing time is reasonable given the labor shortages and backlogs in almost everything right now, but I found the process itself fair, though good record keeping helps.

@txsongbird

Jump to this post

I'm so sorry you are suffering like this. I agree that it's so challenging to work while in pain. I had to take 3 months of partial/full medical leave, but have not applied for disability. By 16 months of disability, I meant 16 months of physical limits and restricted activity. I hope your application for disability will be approved soon!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.