COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@mawmaw3

My neurologist told me today they have many patients with post Covid vaccine neuropathy symptoms that either started or worsened after the vaccine. She said their symptoms seem to worsen over several months, then plateau. Once again she said she hoped it would improve or go away, but vaccines haven’t been out long enough to see.

Jump to this post

This sounds like what has happened for me. I’m nine months out from my second moderna dose and finally seem to have plateaued with possibly some improvement…but it’s been a rough nine months and now wrestling with what to do about the booster. Hard choices.

I just got the pheizer booster . I was really worried about my neuropathy. It did not make it any worse but my muscles are killing me especially calves and shoulders. Have a low grade fever lasted a day It is third day and still under the weather but so far glad I did it but that’s it for me. No more

@chezpl69

Hi have your symptoms improved? I got symptoms three weeks after the first pfizer shot. I have burning in thighs and face. some needles in my arms hands and legs It seems like every day I get a little more. I have already postponed the second shot twice. My neurologist suggested today that I go for the second shot. I'm not convinced.

Jump to this post

How are you doing? I've had the same symptoms after my vaccine with no prior neurological symptoms. I'm still experience symptoms 11 months later and do not want to get the booster. I'm wondering if others have continued burning/tingling in face, thighs and some in hands and toes?

@rnlorena

I have small fiber neuropathy non length dependent also. Can you tell me how yours started? Mine started when I woke up one morning sudden onset. It was everywhere. Pinpricks. I have read where people have had the shots and then had those symptoms. My shots were in January. I woke up one am in March and mine was full blown on. I have eye pains also. I want to take the flu shot and a booster for Covid but I am worried about it. This is new to me so I am just trying to take it all in. Mine may be idiopathic. I will know soon.

Jump to this post

I've had the eye pain as well... neuropathy in face and thighs is more prominent

@nance78

Hi Joey.
I had my first shot 4 days ago, it brought pin and needles. I am worried of having the second dose. How do you feel now?

Jump to this post

How are you doing? I had the same reaction and still have flares 11 moths later. Wondering if others are having long lasting symptoms?

I have peripheral neuropathy and I have had the 3 vaccine shots from Pizer with absolutely no problems...Madge

Have neuropathic pain in the legs after my Moderna booster on November 16th and had the same after the 2 vaccines, lasting a month or a bit more. I'm in the 6th week now and it seems to be improving.

@twobrooklyn

The problem is PN is not curable regardless of the reason.

Jump to this post

No, it’s not curable, regardless of the source. But, hopefully, we can find what best controls symptoms, avoiding advancement. That solution is likely different for everyone and may need to be tweaked, or altered, from time to time.

I never had neuropathy. I had back surgery with a fusion 2 years ago and it has caused me so many problems. I got my first 2 COVID Pfizer shots and only symptom was my left arm pit would get really red and then peal. I got my booster and now I have neuropathy which I have never ever had before. I'm not sure if it is from the booster but since I never had neuropathy before and then to get it after my booster makes me think the booster caused the neuropathy. Anyone else feel like this? I'm so frustrated because my surgery was a failed back surgery and now onto of this I have to deal with painful neuropathy.

@faust73

I never had neuropathy. I had back surgery with a fusion 2 years ago and it has caused me so many problems. I got my first 2 COVID Pfizer shots and only symptom was my left arm pit would get really red and then peal. I got my booster and now I have neuropathy which I have never ever had before. I'm not sure if it is from the booster but since I never had neuropathy before and then to get it after my booster makes me think the booster caused the neuropathy. Anyone else feel like this? I'm so frustrated because my surgery was a failed back surgery and now onto of this I have to deal with painful neuropathy.

Jump to this post

My doctors here thing it was caused either by the virus or the vaccines themselves, nothing else makes sense, but who really knows.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.