COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@kathleen123

I have (small fiber) non-length dependent neuropathy. I had my first Pfizer Covid-19 vaccination 2 1/2 weeks ago. It exacerbated my neuropathy symptoms. I’m scheduled for my 2nd shot on Wednesday but I don’t know whether to get it since the 2nd shot is much more likely than the first to have significant adverse effects. I called Pfizer and they claim that Covid-19 vaccination is not related to any neurological side effects although I have read elsewhere it can exacerbate PN. My internist says there is just no data to know whether the 2nd shot is likely to make my symptoms worse.

Jump to this post

I had TN about six years ago and it went away with gabapentin. My first vaccine caused me terrible back pain the next day and lasted a week. I got my second vaccine and was only sick for one day. However my TN has come back with a vengeance and no amount of gabapentin touched it. Had to go on carbamazepine and so far so good. I just hope to get off all medication soon. I won’t be getting the booster!

I have peripheral neuropathy and am currently getting chemo for breast cancer. I've had the 2 Moderna injections and my booster and never experienced any reactions at all. I'm 80 years old and feeling good.

@raebaby

I have peripheral neuropathy and am currently getting chemo for breast cancer. I've had the 2 Moderna injections and my booster and never experienced any reactions at all. I'm 80 years old and feeling good.

Jump to this post

It’s so good to hear a positive comment I keep postponing the booster Am on for Monday but apprehensive

@silvern12

It’s so good to hear a positive comment I keep postponing the booster Am on for Monday but apprehensive

Jump to this post

I have idiopathic periphery neuropathy and have had 2 Pfizer’s and the booster. I had already had chemo radiation completed 4 months before first injection. I have absolutely no regrets getting the shots, especially given the alternative of getting severe Covid. Of course I had a sore arm but no worse than a flu shot. Any neurological impacts, if any were related, we’re minimal and resolved quickly.

Thank you I did get fever and terrible muscle aches for days after 2nd pheizer shot so that s also a concern, Can’t get an answer from drs new to area. My thought is statins causing the neuropathy.

I am 87, I have idiopathic Neuropathy. I have had foot problems for over 40 years, but I thought it was Arthritis. I saw multiple Doctors, had two surgery, been in the ER 4 times in 2018 with a reaction to prescribed Gabapentin. Finally had it diagnosed by my hand Doctor who sent me to another Doctor for proper Diagnosis. I got three injections for Covid with no side effects from Maderna except a little tiredness. This PN is so bad, need to avoid more illnesses, that is why I needed the shots.

Hello. I developed severe neuropathy after my 2nd moderna vaccine. It has been 8 months and symptoms are better but not gone. I'm in my 50s and a professional musician. My family thinks I should get a booster and I'm honestly against it and terrified that I wouldn't be able to play any longer. Thoughts? Has anyone with neuropathy from the vaccine gotten a booster? What was your experience? I cannot find any medical information on this! Jen

@jgerth

Hello. I developed severe neuropathy after my 2nd moderna vaccine. It has been 8 months and symptoms are better but not gone. I'm in my 50s and a professional musician. My family thinks I should get a booster and I'm honestly against it and terrified that I wouldn't be able to play any longer. Thoughts? Has anyone with neuropathy from the vaccine gotten a booster? What was your experience? I cannot find any medical information on this! Jen

Jump to this post

Don’t risk it!

Can we get a neurologist to weigh in on this. I have neuropathy and I am afraid of the Moderna booster.

Have any of you who had reactions to the Moderna booster regarding your neuropathy reported it to VARS?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.