COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

I’ve had 3 Moderna injections and have had no change in my PN…

@mawmaw3

I’m sorry you’ve developed this! Have you tried anything that helps?

Jump to this post

I exercise daily do deep tissue massage take vitamins and eat healthy. Currently on Pregabalin 150 mg twice daily plus Duloxetine 30 mg once daily. So far not going to badly. I will see a top neurologist in about two to three weeks.

@cantab

I’ve had 3 Moderna injections and have had no change in my PN…

Jump to this post

Everyone is different!’

Pfizer vaccine. The doctors here think it might be related to my PN.

@mawmaw3

I’m sorry you’ve developed this! Have you tried anything that helps?

Jump to this post

Yes on meds plus lots of exercise and vitamins. Plus a very clean diet.

I was afraid of getting the Pfizer because I have neuropathy due to chemo. I then got the J and J. I had a variety of side effects. Have any of you had an increase in neuropathy symptoms from the Moderna vaccine?

@emily75

I was afraid of getting the Pfizer because I have neuropathy due to chemo. I then got the J and J. I had a variety of side effects. Have any of you had an increase in neuropathy symptoms from the Moderna vaccine?

Jump to this post

Yes, after both the vaccines and the booster. Mainly in the legs. Lasting between 4 weeks and... the pain after the booster is still there, had it November 16th. Hopefully it goes away again soon. I wonder if they can update the vaccine so that it doesn't trigger immune systems so badly neuropathy wise.

@ninette

Yes, after both the vaccines and the booster. Mainly in the legs. Lasting between 4 weeks and... the pain after the booster is still there, had it November 16th. Hopefully it goes away again soon. I wonder if they can update the vaccine so that it doesn't trigger immune systems so badly neuropathy wise.

Jump to this post

If you and your neurologist or doctor report it to both Vaers and the vaccine company you will be contacted. This is the only way they will be able to collect data and hopefully make changes. I didn’t have great luck on the phone with Pfizer but my doctor reported and they did send her paperwork to fill out. After reporting to Vaers, the CDC contacted me. I had horrible neurological side effects from my first dose of Pfizer. Slow recovery. I am 80 percent better 7 months out.

I live in Belgium, but did report it online at VAERS and also locally here. The more people do this, the more likely it is that they might tweak the vaccines a bit. Apparently the glycol (the liquid that carries the 'messengers' for the immune system) is to blame in upsetting the immune system of some people. Or probably of quite a lot of people, as many experience this after Pfizer or Moderna.

I am having a horrible time with an increase in neuropathy symptoms since having Pfizer vaccines. Symptoms were only in my feet and well controlled with duloxetine. Sharp stabbing pains, pins and needles, numbness in both feet, legs, arms, hands, face and trunk. Was walking fine. Now must use a walker to prevent falls. It’s been 5 months and symptoms are worsening!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.