COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@lk61

@mrsgeorgiou I had new onset neuropathy along with other odd symptoms after my I
1st Pfizer 11 months ago. I did get the 2nd shot without a noticeable increase in symptoms. However after almost a year, I still have the symptoms with only a slight improvement. I’m now struggling with the notion of getting a booster. As you said, I’ve never been the same. At the same time, I remain convinced the vaccines are a good thing for the overwhelming majority of folks. It’s a very odd position to be in. Blessings to you as you decide what’s best for you.

Jump to this post

I had strange burning feeling on my thigh and upper left back....tingly, very sensitive, itchy. I thought it was shingles and took Valtrex....didn't help. This was after the Moderna shot in February. Also got Covid arm (Google that) and the strange feeling is on the side of the shot. Doctor thinks it is from arthritis of the spine.......but it is nowhere near my spine and is not like any other arthritis pain I have had. Not getting the booster. It is not real painful and I can live with it but just tired of that feeling and not really knowing the cause. I have had shingles in the past and it is the exact same feeling. Just the nerves and skin. Not muscular.

@mrsgeorgiou

Hi.. hope everyone here is continuing to heal. I had my first dose Pfizer 7 weeks ago and developed neuropathy (along w other side effects…random chills for weeks, loss of appetite, foggy, nausea) about 30min after and still haven’t been the same since. I’m due for my 2nd shot and really scared. Getting mixed reviews from doctors. But I’m other trapped in Australia from the USA entire lockdown and so desperate to get out and back to my family. I don’t want to make a stupid decision based on that. Has anyone experienced neuropathy for the first time from vax? If so did you have second? Thank you 🙏🏼

Jump to this post

I developed neuropathy and joint inflammation after one shot of Pfizer seven months ago. I still have it. I did not get the second shot.

@mrsgeorgiou

Same exact boat. Did you ever get second?

Jump to this post

No. My autoimmune bloodwork came back negative. I have made another contact in our situation who has found a doctor in New York who is looking into some possible reasons for this. One is that we have underlying issues that the vaccine brings to the surface because the vaccine decreases your body’s ability to deal with it like it used to. It weakens the body’s ability to hold other things at bay. I have seen another doctor show bloodwork panels of his patient before, after first and after second dose. The cells used in our immune system were lower after each shot.

@silvern12

I got both shots but still holding off on booster. I went for antibody test and said they were high. We are in the midst of a move to Arizona from Long Island this week Once we are settled in I might consider the shot. Very nervous though about getting Most drs say better to get my allergist said can hold off and go for another antibody test to see if needed.

Jump to this post

@silvern12 Welcome to AZ! 🙂 That's a good idea to get the antibody test. I've been debating on whether or not to get the booster also.

@boltz7555

@silvern12 Welcome to AZ! 🙂 That's a good idea to get the antibody test. I've been debating on whether or not to get the booster also.

Jump to this post

I have not been vaccinated yet as I had a severe case of covid one year ago and I still have immunities from that. My hematologist told me that anything over 80 is considered positive and they don’t require the people in his office to be vaccinated if they can prove they’re positive for antibodies. I have mine checked every 2-3 wks and I just had them done last thurs. my #s are now 141 but I’m still positive so I’m holding off. I have neuropathy and many people have had bad nerve reactions so I’m leery of that.

@banksnc49

I have not been vaccinated yet as I had a severe case of covid one year ago and I still have immunities from that. My hematologist told me that anything over 80 is considered positive and they don’t require the people in his office to be vaccinated if they can prove they’re positive for antibodies. I have mine checked every 2-3 wks and I just had them done last thurs. my #s are now 141 but I’m still positive so I’m holding off. I have neuropathy and many people have had bad nerve reactions so I’m leery of that.

Jump to this post

@banksnc49 Hi Nancy - wow, thank you for sharing. I wasn't diagnosed with SFN until after my first two COVID vaccines and don't think they made anything worse but I was also working with my primary doctor at the time on what medication would help the symptoms I did have (that I now know were SFN symptoms). So, I really couldn't differentiate what was SFN symptoms, side effects from trying meds, COVID vaccine, etc. Just didn't have that full awareness at the time. I have a message in with my neurologist now to see what his recommendation is on the booster.

Had my booster shot three days ago. None of my COVID vacs affected my neuropathy that I've had for years.

@boltz7555

@banksnc49 Hi Nancy - wow, thank you for sharing. I wasn't diagnosed with SFN until after my first two COVID vaccines and don't think they made anything worse but I was also working with my primary doctor at the time on what medication would help the symptoms I did have (that I now know were SFN symptoms). So, I really couldn't differentiate what was SFN symptoms, side effects from trying meds, COVID vaccine, etc. Just didn't have that full awareness at the time. I have a message in with my neurologist now to see what his recommendation is on the booster.

Jump to this post

I sure hope everything goes well for you. I find neuropathy to be something that is very hard to deal with. I’m having foot surgery at the end of this month and I’m praying it won’t make this neuropathy worse.

@banksnc49

I sure hope everything goes well for you. I find neuropathy to be something that is very hard to deal with. I’m having foot surgery at the end of this month and I’m praying it won’t make this neuropathy worse.

Jump to this post

I agree. It is difficult. What I’m struggling with at this point is still all the unknown. My neurologist has me going thru a bunch of different tests to see if he can find an underlying cause. As of now it appears my small fiber and autonomic neuropathy are “idiopathic”. It seems to impact everyone differently and there’s really no way of knowing what to expect, how to prepare and what/how to treat. The worst symptom I experience at this point is chronic widespread pain, especially at night. I also have dizziness and sensations of motion but my doctor doesn’t think that’s related to the neuropathy so he’s doing different tests for that. Good luck on your foot surgery. I hope it goes well and does not exacerbate any symptoms.

@mrsgeorgiou

Hi. Has it gotten any better for you? Thanks

Jump to this post

Hello @mrsgeorgiou, I’m sorry for your dilemma. The sharp pains in my legs have diminished, but everything else continues to get worse. For me, however, since I have autoimmune disease caused PN, the neurologist believes I had an autoimmune reaction to the vaccine, causing my PN to spike after the shots.

I know others in this discussion have had their symptoms reduce over time, while others have not. I think it’s a risk that only you can resolve based upon your circumstances. Perhaps a medical provider can assist you in helping to decide. Best wishes.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.