COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@banksnc49

I sure hope everything goes well for you. I find neuropathy to be something that is very hard to deal with. I’m having foot surgery at the end of this month and I’m praying it won’t make this neuropathy worse.

Jump to this post

Best of wishes for a positive outcome with your foot surgery, Nancy. Perhaps you can receive PT afterwards that might help keep your PN from worsening. Please let me know how your recovery goes.

@banksnc49

I have not been vaccinated yet as I had a severe case of covid one year ago and I still have immunities from that. My hematologist told me that anything over 80 is considered positive and they don’t require the people in his office to be vaccinated if they can prove they’re positive for antibodies. I have mine checked every 2-3 wks and I just had them done last thurs. my #s are now 141 but I’m still positive so I’m holding off. I have neuropathy and many people have had bad nerve reactions so I’m leery of that.

Jump to this post

For what it’s worth I had an antibody level in the 150s and got COVID. I was tracking my levels bc I only had 1 dose of moderna back in dec bc I experienced neuropathy issues 12 hours post vaccination. My current neurologist believes I had Gullian barre and recommends no further doses. Antibodies went to greater than 2500 post covid.

@tracyt

For what it’s worth I had an antibody level in the 150s and got COVID. I was tracking my levels bc I only had 1 dose of moderna back in dec bc I experienced neuropathy issues 12 hours post vaccination. My current neurologist believes I had Gullian barre and recommends no further doses. Antibodies went to greater than 2500 post covid.

Jump to this post

Was that 150 level prior to the vaccine or was that natural immunity from having covid? Mine is natural snd I have run this past 3 of my drs so far and they have supported me. I’m just very nervous about getting worse neuropathy from the vaccines. Plus, I’m immunosuppressive due to a kidney transplant so I would already have to get 3 shots just to get some kind of immunity with another booster coming soon.

@banksnc49

Was that 150 level prior to the vaccine or was that natural immunity from having covid? Mine is natural snd I have run this past 3 of my drs so far and they have supported me. I’m just very nervous about getting worse neuropathy from the vaccines. Plus, I’m immunosuppressive due to a kidney transplant so I would already have to get 3 shots just to get some kind of immunity with another booster coming soon.

Jump to this post

So I had 1 dose of moderna last dec, didn’t get 2nd dose due to new onset neuropathy (later believed to be GBS). Antibody level in March was greater than 250 (at that time that’s as high as scale went). Retested antibodies at end of aug, high 150s. Then got COVID in sept. Antibody level a few weeks ago after the natural infection was greater than 2500. Hope that makes more sense!

@tracyt

So I had 1 dose of moderna last dec, didn’t get 2nd dose due to new onset neuropathy (later believed to be GBS). Antibody level in March was greater than 250 (at that time that’s as high as scale went). Retested antibodies at end of aug, high 150s. Then got COVID in sept. Antibody level a few weeks ago after the natural infection was greater than 2500. Hope that makes more sense!

Jump to this post

Yes it does. Your natural immunity level is awesome!

@athenalee

Best of wishes for a positive outcome with your foot surgery, Nancy. Perhaps you can receive PT afterwards that might help keep your PN from worsening. Please let me know how your recovery goes.

Jump to this post

Thank you @athenalee. I’ll check into that.

A while back (10+ years) I was working with a neurologist to try and figure out what to do about numbing hands and feet. He determined it was the beginning of neuropathy but was unable to find any specific cause, so I've just been living with it, and so far, so good. One of the places I work won't take the doctor's confirmation of the study for a medical exemption to a COVID shot (and I had COVID early in 2020) and I'm worried.

The stories you're all telling and what I've read has me worried about what a shot might do to my condition that so far, is only a minor inconvenience. My doctor has retired, but another in the office thinks that any reaction of any kind is worth it, because COVID is a killer. I pointed out that I had it and didn't die...

In any case, I'm hoping to find a doctor who can request and review the tests that were done back then and give me some accurate (not political) opinion as to whether this is safe, or help me support an exemption. How would I go about finding an expert who is knowledgeable with both COVID shots and neurological conditions, and who will consider my best interests over what's politically correct?

@howard232

A while back (10+ years) I was working with a neurologist to try and figure out what to do about numbing hands and feet. He determined it was the beginning of neuropathy but was unable to find any specific cause, so I've just been living with it, and so far, so good. One of the places I work won't take the doctor's confirmation of the study for a medical exemption to a COVID shot (and I had COVID early in 2020) and I'm worried.

The stories you're all telling and what I've read has me worried about what a shot might do to my condition that so far, is only a minor inconvenience. My doctor has retired, but another in the office thinks that any reaction of any kind is worth it, because COVID is a killer. I pointed out that I had it and didn't die...

In any case, I'm hoping to find a doctor who can request and review the tests that were done back then and give me some accurate (not political) opinion as to whether this is safe, or help me support an exemption. How would I go about finding an expert who is knowledgeable with both COVID shots and neurological conditions, and who will consider my best interests over what's politically correct?

Jump to this post

I’m sorry I can’t help you with this but if you find an answer, I hope you’ll share it with us. Hopefully, someone will have an answer for you. God bless.

@banksnc49

I’m sorry I can’t help you with this but if you find an answer, I hope you’ll share it with us. Hopefully, someone will have an answer for you. God bless.

Jump to this post

Thank you Nancy. One doctor I spoke with recommended that a heart patient (who also came through COVID) should be exempt, and he was reprimanded by the state. So while he wasn't a neurologist and couldn't help, he was explaining that some doctors simply don't want the heat of going against the system. I understand but wish the world wasn't so crazy right now.

My guess is that when the company realizes that I'll be leaving and the work won't get done that they'll suddenly become reasonable. Testing is a great thing and at least I'll know I'm not infected. The ones who got shots but don't test can't say that. I will definitely post back if I hear anything useful.

I’m praying it goes well with you.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.