Can Coughing Increase Size and Risk of Aortic Anuerysm

Posted by mjm3 @mjm3, Jan 28, 2025

I am 67 years old with an ascending aortic aneurysm diagnosed last July at 4.1. I am scheduled for a six month CT angiogram next month to check for any growth – which I’m hoping there is none. However, over the last few weeks I’ve been battling a cold that turned into bronchitis that turned into mild pneumonia. Subsequently, I developed a cough that could be quite jarring at times. Late night googling found many different sources of contradictory information, but one stuck out that said “yes, coughing can be very dangerous for an ascending aortic aneurysm.” it did not specify how it was dangerous.
I have tried to contact my cardiologist twice about this and I must not be asking my question correctly because the nurse calls back with the reply that if I have questions about a cough, see my general practitioner. The GP said she’s not a cardiologist ask my cardiologist. It’s a vicious cycle. The urgent care doctor that prescribed antibiotics for the pneumonia had no idea about a cough correlating to a risk of aneurysm, but said to ask my cardiologist😵‍💫. Just wondering if anyone else had asked or spoken to their doctors about coughing, and if it causes the aneurysm to expand rapidly? I hope I don’t sound crazy, but I’m just really concerned about everything with this newly diagnosed issue. I want to be as safe as I can, but how do you prevent yourself from coughing when you’re sick. Cough medicine only goes so far. Thanks for any insight.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Aortic Aneurysms Support Group.

I am 84and have an AAA which needs a repair a type 2 endoleak The aneurism is a sac and the size has increased. Discussion with my doctors tell me it's my decision to repair .So far my decision is not to repair. Although I think about is my decision knowing it I could die if it the pressure explodes. It a difficult operation based on the shape and where the leaks originated. At my request my surgeon did go in to explore a way to stop the leakage The plan is to fill the sac with glue under general anesthesia with incubation. I an now considering a second opinion at Mayo .

REPLY
Profile picture for barry1912 @barry1912

I am 84and have an AAA which needs a repair a type 2 endoleak The aneurism is a sac and the size has increased. Discussion with my doctors tell me it's my decision to repair .So far my decision is not to repair. Although I think about is my decision knowing it I could die if it the pressure explodes. It a difficult operation based on the shape and where the leaks originated. At my request my surgeon did go in to explore a way to stop the leakage The plan is to fill the sac with glue under general anesthesia with incubation. I an now considering a second opinion at Mayo .

Jump to this post

@barry1912......As you haven't been inclined to do anything up to now, get a second and even a third opinion on this situation. You should have a clear understanding of the risks and reward of what your Doctor is planning for you. There have been older aneurysm patients that have had success with surgery, but each case is unique and outcomes do vary.

REPLY
Profile picture for barry1912 @barry1912

I am 84and have an AAA which needs a repair a type 2 endoleak The aneurism is a sac and the size has increased. Discussion with my doctors tell me it's my decision to repair .So far my decision is not to repair. Although I think about is my decision knowing it I could die if it the pressure explodes. It a difficult operation based on the shape and where the leaks originated. At my request my surgeon did go in to explore a way to stop the leakage The plan is to fill the sac with glue under general anesthesia with incubation. I an now considering a second opinion at Mayo .

Jump to this post

@barry1912
There is a study involving ascending aortic thoracic aneurysms called Arise II.. It is being studied across the country including Cleveland Clinic and Stanford and other multiple sites. It is an endovascular repair done through the groin (femoral
artery) and placement of a tubular graft. Still in early stages, you might be an ideal candidate. Talk with your cardiologist.

REPLY
Profile picture for ctflyr @ctflyr

@barry1912......As you haven't been inclined to do anything up to now, get a second and even a third opinion on this situation. You should have a clear understanding of the risks and reward of what your Doctor is planning for you. There have been older aneurysm patients that have had success with surgery, but each case is unique and outcomes do vary.

Jump to this post

OkI justset mt medicalrecordsand notesvti MAYO They try to startcwith a zoom callfirst I wanttheir opinion first before I make a fin decision@ctflyr

REPLY

My feeling on this is - No, otherwise it would already be a Red Flag and well publicised.
I'm currently nursing a 5.7cm juxtarenalaneurysm and waiting for suitable treatment pending further investigations.

REPLY
Profile picture for moonboy @moonboy

I’m not a doctor and I’m not giving medical advice, but I am a 10-year survivor of a complete and sudden aortic dissection, and I’ve spent a lot of time learning about aortic disease, navigating the medical system, and advocating for my own care.

ONE: You should also be getting a referral to a thoracic aortic surgeon as soon as possible. Cardiologists and primary care doctors play a role in monitoring an aneurysm, but they don’t fix them—surgeons do. A thoracic aortic surgeon is the only specialist truly qualified to assess the long-term risks, determine the best monitoring plan, and decide when (or if) intervention is needed. Many cardiologists, even very good ones, simply don’t have the expertise in aortic pathology to fully evaluate what’s going on beyond the standard “watch and wait” approach. Surgeons, on the other hand, spend their careers seeing how these aneurysms behave over time, understanding the subtleties of surgical timing, and weighing the risk of waiting versus intervening. Personally, I would not trust anyone but a surgeon who specializes in aortic disease to tell me whether I need surgery, how often I should be scanned, or what my true level of risk is. You don’t need to be scheduling surgery tomorrow, but you do need to establish a relationship with the specialist who will be responsible for making those calls down the road.

A 4.1 cm ascending thoracic aortic aneurysm falls into that gray area where it’s technically “mild,” but still something that requires monitoring. The real question isn’t just the size—it’s what else is going on with the aorta. Growth rate, family history, connective tissue disorders, blood pressure control, and valve function all play a role in risk assessment.

TWO: You’re absolutely right to push for a cardiologist. Aneurysms aren’t primary care medicine, and it’s frustrating when you meet resistance just trying to get in the right hands. A primary care doctor saying, “See you in 2-3 years” might be reasonable for a completely stable, slow-growing aneurysm, but it’s not a sufficient plan without deeper evaluation—especially if this was only diagnosed a few months ago. I get scanned every 12 months at a world class heart care center with state of the art CT with contrast, University of Minnesota - Minneapolis.

When you talk to your doctor on Monday , you might want to emphasize:

a. You want an aortic specialist or a cardiologist experienced in aortic disease. Not all cardiologists focus on aortic pathology, and a general cardiologist may not have the expertise to assess your long-term risk.
b. You need to know the growth rate. Did they compare this to any prior scans? Was it previously smaller, or is this a new finding?
c. You want a clear monitoring plan. Ask why they think 2-3 years is an appropriate timeline and if more frequent imaging (every 6-12 months) is warranted given your age and aneurysm location.

THREE: Exercise and Elevation
Again, not medical advice, but elevation and exercise are common concerns with aortic aneurysms. Some things to ask your doctor:
a. Blood pressure response at high altitudes – The body compensates for lower oxygen levels at high elevation by increasing heart rate and blood pressure, which can stress the aortic wall.
b. Valsalva maneuvers – Anything that causes sudden spikes in blood pressure (heavy lifting, straining, intense isometric exercise) can be risky for an aneurysm.
c. Cardio limits – Many doctors recommend low-to-moderate intensity exercise rather than pushing into high-intensity zones. Hiking is often fine, but with precautions.
d. Medication adjustments – Some people with aneurysms are put on beta-blockers or other medications to reduce stress on the aorta, especially if they are active.

FOUR: Coughing and Aortic Disease
A strong, uncontrolled cough can spike intrathoracic pressure and cause strain on the aortic wall. If you ever develop a chronic cough, shortness of breath, or any weird chest sensations, it’s worth bringing up. Some people with aneurysms (especially near the arch) have symptoms that can get dismissed as “normal” but are actually the aorta compressing nearby structures.

If you’re not getting the answers you need, keep pushing. Many of us with aortic disease have had to advocate hard to get the right specialist. Aneurysms are serious, even when they’re considered “mild,” and getting ahead of the game now can make all the difference later. Peace.

Jump to this post

@moonboy Your response is amazing and so helpful. I had a brain aneurysm last year that required a craniotomy and frankly the neurologist didn't really understand it. It was the neurosurgeon that understood, developed the plan, did the surgery and followed up. Now that I am dealing with a small aortic aneurysm this is a great reminder to follow the same path in terms of the expert and ask the right questions. Thank you. I' glad you are doing well now.

REPLY
Profile picture for barry1912 @barry1912

I am 84and have an AAA which needs a repair a type 2 endoleak The aneurism is a sac and the size has increased. Discussion with my doctors tell me it's my decision to repair .So far my decision is not to repair. Although I think about is my decision knowing it I could die if it the pressure explodes. It a difficult operation based on the shape and where the leaks originated. At my request my surgeon did go in to explore a way to stop the leakage The plan is to fill the sac with glue under general anesthesia with incubation. I an now considering a second opinion at Mayo .

Jump to this post

@barry1912 I'm new to this group. I have a 5.8 cm complex AAA, and they are going to do a custom-made stent graft, but I worry about them not getting a good seal.... When you say repair, does it mean you had the stent graft surgery, and it is now leaking?

REPLY
Profile picture for mjm3 @mjm3

It is maddening. And to make matters worse, I saw another cardiologist in the fall for a second opinion. Now when I went to ask my original cardiologist the cough related question-again today, I was met with a very snarky nurse that said "according to MyChart you already spoke with another doctors office so who are you working with?" Yikes.I guess there is no privacy, either. (Note I have been with my original cardiologist since 2008 when I developed mitral valve regurge. I sure was not expecting such a send off. )

Jump to this post

@mjm3 This is our medical care more and more often in the U.S. It's a disgrace. I like my GP and he's with a practice that has avoided the big conglomerates that swallow up all the practices and turn them into sausage factories. It's getting harder and harder to call and/or speak with an actual person, no matter where you turn--medicine isn't the only thing being affected by our new rush toward digitizing everything. The "machines" bar the door to real help.

REPLY
Profile picture for pamela78 @pamela78

@mjm3 This is our medical care more and more often in the U.S. It's a disgrace. I like my GP and he's with a practice that has avoided the big conglomerates that swallow up all the practices and turn them into sausage factories. It's getting harder and harder to call and/or speak with an actual person, no matter where you turn--medicine isn't the only thing being affected by our new rush toward digitizing everything. The "machines" bar the door to real help.

Jump to this post

@pamela78 If this is our medical care of the future, there is still one option. We can go there in person to deal with it, and perhaps find a Doc that might be a blessing in disguise. Now I realize that's real pain in the ... but I try not to expect much so I'm not too disappointed. One good thing is the ER. If I have an issue I go to the ER. When you're old and look it, they push you to the front of the line. And if you're really worried, call 911. My 97 year old mother has learned that trick. If her blood pressures up or her legs swell up she calls 911. They drain her and call me to pick her up.

REPLY
Profile picture for donnawhite @donnawhite

My descending aortic aneurysm was at 3.6 c and my doctors have been watching it since 2019. It was growing 2 mm every 6 months. When it got to 5.5, my wonderful doctor at UCSF thought she should do surgery. The percentage of death, paralyses, or stroke was more than I was willing to risk. I have 4 children, and I did not want to be a hugh burden. But I sought a second opinion at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. They are considered the gold level in aneurysms treatment. The doctor there said, go live your life, play tennis, golf and enjoy yourself. He said a surgery at my age would not likely have a good outcome. Well, I got my softball glove out and started fielding grounders. It was so fun. But with-in three months I could tell something was different. I had a ct scan ant it had grown 8 mm in three months. Well, I put my glove away and am still on the tennis court but not hitting balls, just walking around gathering them together for my grandson's lessons. Hiking up hills might be a strain on your aneurysm. Mine grew to 6.3 very quickly, but I will admit I loved every minute I was active. So, you choose things like that. Be careful, or go for it, you have to decide if it is worth it. I have always been active, just going slow is very hard. I have been given 6 months to live at this point. I am at peace with this. I know where I am going.

Jump to this post

@donnawhite You are so brave. I hope you are at peace wherever you are.

REPLY
Please sign in or register to post a reply.