Ascending Aortic Dilation - Ascending Aortic Aneurysm
I was diagnosed in 2012 with ascending aorta dialation of 4.1 cm. In 2013 no change. Finally went back to dr in 2017 and echo showed 4.3 cm. 2 months later dr made me have a chest scan which read 4.5 cm. which is correct? Echo or scan? Dr wants me to have another in 6 months. Very stressful.
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Aortic Aneurysms Support Group.
Hi @mariejnd, and welcome to Connect. I’m Alyse – one of the community moderators here. I found some information on aortic aneurysms, which includes services, as well as the experience Mayo Clinic provides for patients (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/aortic-aneurysm/care-at-mayo-clinic/why-choose-mayo-clinic/con-20032573).
Mayo Clinic has a list of doctors who are specialists in this area sorted by location. Have you researched any doctors?
I suggest that you take this surgery with the greatest caution. Make sure
that if you choose the big open option, instead of a stent, that you are
aware that you may be at risk for Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. Get all
your options on the table and make sure that you have information from
other physicians, not just the surgeon, who will not be around to treat any
complications afterwards. We had a bad surprise after having a good
surgery, but my husband was struck with NPH, due to the major life support
system necessary for the surgery.
The Good Wife
Thank you so much for replying. I do have another question. You asked whether I have researched any doctors. I have not done so because I don’t know a reliable and credible route to take for the research. Any suggestions? I live In the Minneapolis, MN area therefore the Mayo Clinic in Rochester is convenient for me.
Thank you, again.
I am so sorry about your husband’s health problem with NPH. I would like to be followed by a cardiologist experienced with monitoring ascending aortic aneurysms until such time I have to make that dreadful surgery decision. I live in Minnesota and a reasonable distance from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.
Does anyone out there know of a good cardiologist for an ascending aortic aneurysm? I need to make an appointment but have no idea what doctor(s) to request.
I’m tagging @HeartPatches, @cynaburst, @lynnkay1956 and @ronpetrovich. They have been treated at the Mayo Clinic and may have cardiologist recommendations although their diagnosis is not the same as yours.
Hi @mariejnd you can use this link to inquire about cardiologists at Mayo Clinic http://mayocl.in/1mtmR63.
I am a 68 year old woman diagnosed with a 4.2 ascending aortic aneurysm. I plan to make an appointment at the Mayo Clinic . I am wondering if I should request a certain doctor.
I have a ascending aortic aneurysm that is 5.1 cm. it was diagnosed in June of 2011. I have been told that at this time it will be treated with medications but if it grows to 5.5 cm then a surgery will be performed.Also one doctor says if it moves to 5.3 between ct or mri s then i would be a candidate for surgery. Being a typical guy i feel that if its this close why don t we just fix it! I am typicaly very active and this just seems like were playing with fire…. I know percentages,etc etc but if it bursts I am told I will most likely die before the ambulance arrives or at best a 50 percent rate of survival if i make it to the hospital.
What a crazy way to live.
I am leaving for 5 weeks wandering around Costa Rica with a backpack and my rental car so hopefully all will be fine. I would like to do the Camiino de Santiago 550 mile walk through France and Spain carrying a backpack this fall….but what the hel??,,,l is this safe???? i have been going to the V.A. (Veterans Administration) since I don’t have regular health insurance….I just can’t afford it…I am told the Mayo Clinic might take on my case as a “pro bono” situation and help me live….
It’s such a strange feeling to know you can drop dead at any time due to a particular condition that everybody is aware of but waiting for a Fix that is already there and I believe well proven….If the surgery is available but .2cm is what i need to qualify…wher e are those administrators that determined this 5.3 or 5.5 cm threshold if I am out ther and it bursts?
Well, this was a lot of rambling but maybe theres a Doctor or Mayo clinic or someone out there that can help….
Please pass this on to anyone at mayo Clinic that you think can help..
In the meantime I will continue to take my meds and walk through life as best i can…
I know we are all going to die and it could happen at any time but seems a little strange.
I feel like if my engine on my car was acting strange and i took it in and they said it needs to be rebuilt and it will take care of the problem ..otherwise put this of oil additive in it and drive to New York..you should be fine…oh and if it breaks down in the rockies …you’ll probably never get parts so you wont make it to your daughters wedding on time but probably never…..
so put this can of oil additive in and lets all wish for the best?
Have a great day,,,this was fun to vent…hope somebody else reads this and relates or maybe just gets a good laugh…
(maybe an aortic surgeon over at Mayo Clinic
My Husband is in the same exact situation, except he has copd. Va say’s it has to grow some more. Looking for help. He also has RA. other issues, no other heart issues though. We’re just not sure how to handle this, just sit back and wait for it
to grow. Va say’s another ct in Oct. But say’s because of copd he’s not a candidate for surgery I’m confused.