Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Posted by rabbit10 @rabbit10, Apr 9, 2016

Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

I was recently diagnosed with PN. Symptoms are more around pain. Both feet have a sensation of being sunburned or raw underneath and I imagined open sores on them (not there). Hands and fingertips tender with sore left palm. intermittent numbness and other pins and needle effects. Just started up a few months ago and went for tests at Vanderbilt and now Mayo. Put me on Lyrica and sleep meds and holding off on Cymbalta and I am trying not to take pain meds. Thought I would join and share where I am coming from. MN

Hello @thunder32, welcome to Connect. I too have PN. I was diagnosed in 2016 with idiopathic small fiber PN but I don't have any pain. I only have the numbness and tingling for which there are no drug or topical treatments that work. I take vitamins and supplements which have helped me some but they're not a cure. I posted my story earlier on Connect here:
-- https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/anyone-here-dealing-with-peripheral-neuropathy/?pg=42#comment-65985

You mentioned you are also taking sleep meds. Do they help you sleep at night because of the pain?

John

Hi John, same here, small fiber idiopathic but big time pain came out of nowhere in mid May. yes I was prescribed Lorazepam 1mg for sleep. Also pain meds that I only rarely take as it is tough enough to manage at work with the other meds! Hope you are well.

Just an FYI for the numbness. I have numbness in my feet from my strokes. I find that when I have taken off my shoes and socks I move my feet over the carpet in the bedroom. Most of the time I do not feel anything but I know I am stimulating the bottoms of my feet, and it can't hurt I hope it is doing some good. I did it before my strokes and it felt good then so why not now even if I cannot feel it.

mlmcg

Yes - I have peripheral neuropathy. My most difficult symptom is difficulty breathing. Any suggestions for helping this?

@dutchman09

I am in no way connected with the medical field but after seeing a Neurologist and two Chiropractors it is my honest opinion that medications do not work with Peripheral Neuropathy. I am starting a program using a Durable medical Device called the ReBuilder Model # 2407. It is an electrical nerve stimulator which you use in your home 1/2 hour in the morning and 1/2 hour in the evening and my goal is to be able to walk down my front steps without my wife's assistance by New Years.

Jump to this post

can this be used if you have a pacemaker?

how do you know when someone answers your comments?

@juanito

how do you know when someone answers your comments?

Jump to this post

@juanito if someone replies to your post you will receive a notification email. Also if you want to direct your post to a specific member just use their Connect user/member name preceded by the @ sign - mine is @johnbishop

I began experiencing autonomic/peripheral neuropathy following chemo therapy treatment for cancer. Fortunately I do not have pain, but need a walking stick to keep my balance. I'm wondering if there are some treatments people have found effective.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.