200+ transfusions in two years! Rare strain of anemia...advice please

Posted by Ron and Cilvia @renaldo, Aug 18, 2022

My wife's illness and symptoms are to complex for 70 characters.

We desperately need advice/support.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Blood Cancers & Disorders Support Group.

@renaldo

Hello Colleen,

No we cannot come in for an appointment as much as we would like to.

We live in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. I am an American, 75 years old, she is Indonesian, 52 years old. I love her so dearly.

We have been told by doctors she cannot travel in an airplane for fear of bleeding from her nose due to cabin pressure. We also cannot afford such a trip.

Due to sub standards of medical care here there is no way to have her either diagnosed or control her symptoms. She suffers so much.

I am seeking advice. Recommendations of what kind of testing might be done to diagnose. Methods to stop her from bleeding so excessively. She will bleed for over 24 hours at times before it stops, expelling many pints of blood and necessitating emergency and hospital stays for transfusions.

She is not doing very well. For a while she was able to remain home for up to two weeks before needing transfusions. Now it seems we must go every week and this involves 4-6 days in the hospital.

She is a very positive woman, Never had complained or felt any sorrow for herself. She is beginning to show signs of becoming so weakened by her condition that she is becoming somewhat negative. This scares me as I am the only one here to care for her at home.

We have some money that I would gladly spend to get her help if I could get her to the United States. I know it would probably not be enough to cover the high medical expenses found in the states, but I would spend every penny to help her and go broke.

Are there any foundations in the states that help people like her? Endowments?

If I lose her, part of me will die.

Warm regards,
Ron Piltzer

Jump to this post

Hello @renaldo. You will notice that I have removed your personal contact information from this post. I did this in an effort to protect your privacy from spammers. You are free to share in the personal messages with other members as you see fit.

@renaldo

Hello, my name is Ron. My wife, Cilvia, and I live in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. She is 52, I am 75.

Cilvia has been dealing with a very rare strain of hemolytic anemia for four years.

So far it has caused her to lose sight in her left eye, she has fainted a couple times, her hemoglobin level gets very low, shows signs of weakness, she bleeds excessively from her nose for hours on end, she bruises easily, she has had over 200 blood transfusions and needs hospitalization twice a month.

We live in Indonesia where health care is limited in scope and ability to cure or control. They do not even have the ability to diagnose.

They have done embolism treatment, packing of nose, some radiation. None have worked to stop the bleeding. She will have blood clot in her nose or sinus and to get it out requires a lot of nose blowing, making her begin to bleed incessantly.

We are trying to reach out for advice on how to diagnose and control this bleeding as it makes here hemoglobin level down into dangerous zone.

I have some money in a retirement account. I know it would not be nearly enough to pay out of pocket for healthcare in the states. I was wondering if anyone knows of any foundation or endowments that help pay for such care for those who cannot afford it?

Please help if you can.

God Bless You,
Ron

Jump to this post

Hello @renaldo. I can feel the desperation in your post with regard to seeking medical care for your wife, who you obviously love very much.

I am guessing in the last four years you've researched and done nearly everything possible, however, I wanted to share this information with you to see if there is anything that stands out as something you haven't addressed or tried just yet, while you work on getting your wife the additional medical care you wrote in about.

- Anemia: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20351360

These are what stood out to me:
- iron/vitamin deficiency
- gut health/intestinal disorders

Have she addressed these through diet and/or supplements?

@renaldo

Hello, my name is Ron. My wife, Cilvia, and I live in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. She is 52, I am 75.

Cilvia has been dealing with a very rare strain of hemolytic anemia for four years.

So far it has caused her to lose sight in her left eye, she has fainted a couple times, her hemoglobin level gets very low, shows signs of weakness, she bleeds excessively from her nose for hours on end, she bruises easily, she has had over 200 blood transfusions and needs hospitalization twice a month.

We live in Indonesia where health care is limited in scope and ability to cure or control. They do not even have the ability to diagnose.

They have done embolism treatment, packing of nose, some radiation. None have worked to stop the bleeding. She will have blood clot in her nose or sinus and to get it out requires a lot of nose blowing, making her begin to bleed incessantly.

We are trying to reach out for advice on how to diagnose and control this bleeding as it makes here hemoglobin level down into dangerous zone.

I have some money in a retirement account. I know it would not be nearly enough to pay out of pocket for healthcare in the states. I was wondering if anyone knows of any foundation or endowments that help pay for such care for those who cannot afford it?

Please help if you can.

God Bless You,
Ron

Jump to this post

So sorry to hear what you guys are going through.

My mom when she was a teenager had her spleen removed because of the symptoms described above - uncontrollable nose bleeds, easily bruised, etc. I guess humans can live without the spleen. She even gave birth to 3 of us (all healthy)
My mom had Gaucher disease. I know that Gaucher association helps with treatments that my mom had later in her life

You probably want to try to get to see md at Mayo clinic and hopefully social worker/patient coordinator who would have access to resources to cover treatment
Good luck!

@loribmt

Hearing the reports of your experience in Jakarta is so disappointing. The conditions you report are really distressing so I can understand your reluctance for followup there! 😢
I really hope you’re able to secure a visit for your wife at a clinic in Malaysia. You’re so far from the US that I worry the trip here would be so costly, and very difficult for your wife in her condition.
You’re a wonderful, loving husband and I can see you’re literally doing everything possible to find a diagnosis and help for your sweet wife. It’s heart breaking and never easy when the people we love are going through the worst times imaginable and we feel so helpless.

I want to follow you and your along on her journey so please reach out anytime. Being a caregiver is so difficult. Do you have any family members nearby who can offer some moral support or relief for you and Cilvia?

Jump to this post

Hi Lori.

The only family members in offering some support online are her daughter in Spain, and mother in Jakarta.

I fear my wife may die soon. We just cannot get the bleeding stopped and it now occurs so frequently.

I cannot express how grateful I am for your kindness. It helps to talk about what is going on with her. A good release of emotional buildup.

Cilvia came home two days ago after 6 transfusions and none days in a Covid isolation ward. Because I could not visit, it was a living nightmare. She began to bleed again today and may need readmittance tomorrow. She will, once again, be isolated as she was discharged still positive.

Just a small example of care here.

Thank you again. I will post updates.

God Bless You,
Ron

@amandajro

Hello @renaldo. You will notice that I have removed your personal contact information from this post. I did this in an effort to protect your privacy from spammers. You are free to share in the personal messages with other members as you see fit.

Jump to this post

Thank you

@renaldo

Hi Lori.

The only family members in offering some support online are her daughter in Spain, and mother in Jakarta.

I fear my wife may die soon. We just cannot get the bleeding stopped and it now occurs so frequently.

I cannot express how grateful I am for your kindness. It helps to talk about what is going on with her. A good release of emotional buildup.

Cilvia came home two days ago after 6 transfusions and none days in a Covid isolation ward. Because I could not visit, it was a living nightmare. She began to bleed again today and may need readmittance tomorrow. She will, once again, be isolated as she was discharged still positive.

God Bless You,
Ron

Jump to this post

Forgot...the government health care policy she has, has care limits.

They stopped services after 6 transfusions and released her with a low hemoglobin level.

I fear, because of budget cuts, services will be cut even more.

My wife is a very private woman. We were getting a private room but that is ending soon. She, in the future, must share. In this country whole families often move in with their loved ones, being disruptive, dirty, annoying.

@renaldo

Forgot...the government health care policy she has, has care limits.

They stopped services after 6 transfusions and released her with a low hemoglobin level.

I fear, because of budget cuts, services will be cut even more.

My wife is a very private woman. We were getting a private room but that is ending soon. She, in the future, must share. In this country whole families often move in with their loved ones, being disruptive, dirty, annoying.

Jump to this post

Ron, It's a long shot, but here are a few options that you may wish to look into. Mayo Clinic experts work with health care systems around the world. You may wish to contact Mayo Clinic to find out options in how your Indonesian team might be able to get support and advice from Mayo Clinic.

Perhaps through a Mayo Clinic Care Network member facility. See the list of members here, which include 3 facilities in China.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/about-mayo-clinic/care-network/network-members

Contact Mayo Clinic's International Services to find out possible virtual options available to you: https://www.mayoclinic.org/departments-centers/international

Might there be similar services offered by large teaching hopitals in Australia? This would be a closer option for you.

@renaldo

Hi Lori.

God Bless You,
Ron

Jump to this post

Aw Ron, I’m so sorry to hear Cilvia had yet another bout with this continued bleeding. That sweet lady and what a vicious cycle of transfusions and bleeding. I can’t even imagine how exhausted and ill she must be feeling all the time.

I really know nothing of her disease other than what I’m researching for you. But I do know that when my blood numbers were low after chemo treatments and I would have these “someone turned on the faucet” nosebleeds, besides receiving blood transfusions I also had a bags of platelets when my blood wouldn’t clot.
Is Cilvia receiving “whole blood” transfusions? They aren’t very common. In the US blood that’s collected from donors is broken down into the 4 various portions of White Blood Cells, Red Blood Cells, Platelets and Plasma. Each can be given on their own for the patients need.
It would be interesting to find out if Cilvia is receiving only red blood cells in her transfusion. If that’s the case, they won’t have any clotting ability and she’ll just continue to bleed out.
That would be a good question to ask her doctors.

Do you know if she is given platelets to help her blood clot?

@renaldo

Hi Lori.

God Bless You,
Ron

Jump to this post

Hi Ron, it’s been a few days and I wanted to check in with you to see how Cilvia is doing. I think of you both so often and hoping she’s getting relief. You too! The stress you’re feeling must be overwhelming. Sending you both a big hug.

@loribmt

Hi Ron, it’s been a few days and I wanted to check in with you to see how Cilvia is doing. I think of you both so often and hoping she’s getting relief. You too! The stress you’re feeling must be overwhelming. Sending you both a big hug.

Jump to this post

Hi Lori...Thank you for reaching out...It really means a lot to me and helps to deal with our daily challenges here. I do not have many I can share with as the language barrier is extreme. Bahasa Indonesia is a difficult language for me to learn.

My wife spent 10 days in Covid isolation, came home, began bleeding a day later and just completed five days in a regular ward at the hospital for six transfusions. She is now Covid negative!

When in the Covid ward, the government insurance had reached its limit for that visit and sent her home still in need of more blood and plasma.

She comes home today with a hemoglobin level at 9 right now. I hope and pray she can come home for a long time without need of hospital.

All of this has been very depressing and frustrating.

Life goes on...in one form or another.

Hope all is well,
Ron

Please sign in or register to post a reply.