Please help with sleep problems

Posted by 0616 @0616, Jun 27, 2020

Please help with sleep problems.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Sleep Health Support Group.

@ess77

@soledad02, and all...I have a friend who found the Xylimelts and is completely sold on them for her dry mouth. She goes to sleep with one at night and uses another as needed. She says they are the only thing that helps her. I solved my issues by changing meds. Have very little dry mouth now.

Yours supports her comments totally. Wonderful.
Be well, Be blessed. elizabeth

Jump to this post

I also like the Oral B Dry Mouth wash with xylitol, which lasts for hours. Biotene spray helps.

@der

Lavender and rose in a fuser helps to sleep more relaxed and my daughter gave me some dr livingood sleep aid he has one for sleep and calm. Dr berg also has sleep aid… these are herbal. I’m open to anything herbal. These helped me some, maybe would help y’all. I go two days n nights can’t sleep and not tired till about day three….. if anybody finds something that helps I’m ready! I have been told to take a Benadryl… my next one yo try. 😊hoping we all get help sleeping because that is when your body heals… surgeon told me.

Jump to this post

I found a Sleep Dr who referred me to Cognitive Behavior as I had huge sleep issues, finally getting to sleeep and then waking up after an hour. Vicious cycle, for sure. I kept a diary for a few weeks (everything from nap habits, how long I was awake, etc.) and he put it into an algorithm and made suggestions. Getting up at the same time every morning, going to bed at a time that provided an 8 hour window, no naps after 3pm, staying up for at least 2 hours after dinner. I still do a few sleep yoga moves (cat/cow/child/cobra) and take meds about an hour before bed. I use a 1:1 5mg gummie when I lay down. Dark room, cool temperature, etc. My sleep Dr, Michael Grandner, works out of University of Arizona.

@marjou

I have trouble sleeping as my mind doesn't seem to turn off. I did notice that when I took higher doses of Melatonin I would get vivid nightmares. Now take 3 mg which works better. Another is spray my pillows and sheets lightly with lavender mist which seems to help.

Jump to this post

@marjou: I have the same problem. Not every night, but often enough my mind takes off in a direction and just won’t let go. And those nights when I do fall asleep easily I very often get a rude awakening by the idiot drag racers that rev their car’s engines to screaming pitch on nearby roads in the early morning hours. Today it started at 3.45 AM. And no, I haven’t yet found earplugs that work and don’t irritate. However, even with the really messed-up sleep pattern I have learned to live with it, and not worry or obsess about it. I brought it up with my PCP, and he asked me “how do you feel in the mornings?” I honestly told him, I can’t wait to get up and get going. So my body seems ok with whatever amount of sleep I get.

@ellerbracke

@marjou: I have the same problem. Not every night, but often enough my mind takes off in a direction and just won’t let go. And those nights when I do fall asleep easily I very often get a rude awakening by the idiot drag racers that rev their car’s engines to screaming pitch on nearby roads in the early morning hours. Today it started at 3.45 AM. And no, I haven’t yet found earplugs that work and don’t irritate. However, even with the really messed-up sleep pattern I have learned to live with it, and not worry or obsess about it. I brought it up with my PCP, and he asked me “how do you feel in the mornings?” I honestly told him, I can’t wait to get up and get going. So my body seems ok with whatever amount of sleep I get.

Jump to this post

I ish I had your attitude

In reply to @cmd "*wish" + (show)
@cmd

@cmd: Hi…. after 2 shoulder surgeries, and 2 knee surgeries, one of those a TKR, over the past 15 years (nicely spaced, of course), I am just grateful not to be in pain at night. Granted, I’d love to sleep more, and more consistently, but compared to the post-surgery months I take what I can get. The more I worry about not falling asleep, the worse it usually gets. I do always keep a book or 2 around as a sleep aid. The content must be interesting enough to make me want to read it, and boring enough that I fade out after 5 to 10 pages. It often does the trick.

@marye2

I found a Sleep Dr who referred me to Cognitive Behavior as I had huge sleep issues, finally getting to sleeep and then waking up after an hour. Vicious cycle, for sure. I kept a diary for a few weeks (everything from nap habits, how long I was awake, etc.) and he put it into an algorithm and made suggestions. Getting up at the same time every morning, going to bed at a time that provided an 8 hour window, no naps after 3pm, staying up for at least 2 hours after dinner. I still do a few sleep yoga moves (cat/cow/child/cobra) and take meds about an hour before bed. I use a 1:1 5mg gummie when I lay down. Dark room, cool temperature, etc. My sleep Dr, Michael Grandner, works out of University of Arizona.

Jump to this post

Are you on any prescribed sleep aids or OTC?

Breath mints sugar free work in upper jaw in lip. Almost all night one mint, nice. Mouth, tongue , throat all got dry hurt to swallow… mints stopped it. Yay!!! Can change flavors… wintergreen, strawberry, cinnamon, …. 😁🙏🌺💕🌺

@jackielb

Are you on any prescribed sleep aids or OTC?

Jump to this post

I have Percoset through a pain Dr to keep it at bay, which helps avoid waking up. I also use a 5mg gummy (1:1 THC/CBD) And the cognitive behavior changes really made a difference!

@marye2

I also like the Oral B Dry Mouth wash with xylitol, which lasts for hours. Biotene spray helps.

Jump to this post

I have found the Biotene spray to be of no help but I will try the Oral B Dry Mouth wash with xylitol.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.