What's outside of your picture window today?

Posted by John, Volunteer Mentor @johnbishop, Nov 25, 2020

As we get ready for the real winter to show up and COVID-19 still playing a major part in our lives I like to spend moments of my day de-stressing about what's going on in the world today. All I have to do is look out the window and observe some of natures beautiful creatures, how they interact and ponder how small it makes my troubles seem. Sometimes I may even get the opportunity to take a photo or two. How about you? Anything going on outside of your window(s) that you want to share?

For those members that have the ability to size your photos before you upload them to the discussion, may I suggest using the following sizes:
– 500 x 335 pixels (landscape)
– 210 x 210 pixels (square)

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

Today it's dry here!
I may be able to walk to the other side of the terrace, oh go on then, you scaredy creature, I will walk to the other side of the terrace and pick a catnip leaf for My Precious 😻

I’m in southern Arizona and we were expecting our first frost last night. I covered my tomato plants. Fortunately, it only dipped to 40 degrees.

@alive

I’m in southern Arizona and we were expecting our first frost last night. I covered my tomato plants. Fortunately, it only dipped to 40 degrees.

Jump to this post

Wow...I always think of AZ as being incredibly hot. In fact, I often think of it as "Aridzona." FROST??? We seldom see any here on the Oregon coast. Our lows here are now in the mid 40s. Although inches of rain were predicted for last Friday/Saturday, we only got some rain, not even much hard rain, and Sunday was just that: Sun. Yes, that's one reason I love living here: the weather is pretty much the same year 'round, just generally cooler during Oct-Feb. However, we've had times when you can be out on the beach in December wearing just a light sweater...and times when we're wearing jackets in July. The grass just slows down during winters; I generally don't mow often until about March. During the last 60 years, we've had enough snow to sorta hide the grass three times: due to the extreme cold of 30 degrees or so, pipes burst all over town! Like most older beach houses, ours has little insulation. We don't use our wonderful Earth Stove as much during summers, but now it's comforting to have a fire, at least in the morning.

The other reasons we love living here are all the animals (deer, elk, coyotes, sometimes bears and cougars, birds from our resident great blue heron down to hummers) and that people are genuinely friendly. Everyone smiles and waves. You can meet and get to know someone while standing in the eternally long lines at Safeway (downside of tourism is 50,000 additional people most weekends in this town of 9,000). When there's trouble, like the forest fire just north of town two years ago, everyone pitches in to help.

@joyces

Wow...I always think of AZ as being incredibly hot. In fact, I often think of it as "Aridzona." FROST??? We seldom see any here on the Oregon coast. Our lows here are now in the mid 40s. Although inches of rain were predicted for last Friday/Saturday, we only got some rain, not even much hard rain, and Sunday was just that: Sun. Yes, that's one reason I love living here: the weather is pretty much the same year 'round, just generally cooler during Oct-Feb. However, we've had times when you can be out on the beach in December wearing just a light sweater...and times when we're wearing jackets in July. The grass just slows down during winters; I generally don't mow often until about March. During the last 60 years, we've had enough snow to sorta hide the grass three times: due to the extreme cold of 30 degrees or so, pipes burst all over town! Like most older beach houses, ours has little insulation. We don't use our wonderful Earth Stove as much during summers, but now it's comforting to have a fire, at least in the morning.

The other reasons we love living here are all the animals (deer, elk, coyotes, sometimes bears and cougars, birds from our resident great blue heron down to hummers) and that people are genuinely friendly. Everyone smiles and waves. You can meet and get to know someone while standing in the eternally long lines at Safeway (downside of tourism is 50,000 additional people most weekends in this town of 9,000). When there's trouble, like the forest fire just north of town two years ago, everyone pitches in to help.

Jump to this post

I know! It’s hard to believe, but night time temperatures in the desert can drop to below freezing this time of the year. Then they rise during the day to 70’s and very sunny skies. I like the Arizona sunshine the most.

I have been to Oregon once. It’s such a beautiful state! My brother now lives in Portland, so I am hoping to visit him there next year.

@joyces

Yesterday, a friend and I drove 50 miles north along the Oregon coast to Tillamook, to attempt to follow the "quilt trail," a series of single quilt squares painted large and hung on barns, businesses, and a few private homes near Tillamook. Here it is, mid-October, and we nearly wilted from the heat...79. You've got to understand that anything over 70 is a "heat wave" here on the coast at any time, but ordinarily October is in the 50s with rain during October. I cannot remember ever having this kind of abnormal hot weather this late. Still, we persisted in the "easter egg hunt" for several hours, getting photos for a program we'll do for Oregon Coast Learning, a group that meets weekly for lectures about a wide variety of things to keep our old minds clicking along. Doing the research in order to present a program for the group is the high point of the exercise!

Friday, I took my boat to Pacific City, to fish for fall Chinook on the lower Nestucca. It was so windy that we had little hope of getting our flies to where we wanted them...no luck with the fish. However, we harvested a couple of containers of ripe blackberries, which ordinarily are ripe in August, finished in September. The long, never-ending wet spring we had during April, May, and June meant that berries were either very late, or, in the case of blueberries, never really bloomed. No fresh local blueberries this past summer! We're supposed to get the first fall rain at the end of next week, which should move salmon upstream, followed by sea-run cutthroat. It also means the beginning of a very long winter where I won't be able to use my driveway, due to flooding of what used to be a pretty little creek in our front yard. I drive to where the driveway meets the road, unload groceries or whatever, put on my boots, and walk down to wade across the flood, then up the hill to the house. I've noticed that the hill gets steeper and longer every winter. <g> Then I drive up the road an eighth of a mile to a place where I can turn around, then back down to the group of mailboxes a quarter-mile west of our house, the closest wide spot that's solid enough for me to park my car. The flooding and marsh (instead of creek) are due to efforts of eight different would-be developers, all of whom went bankrupt, some of whom did illegal things to the creek, like channelizing it below our place, extending our one-lane road across the creek for a shortcut to the main road. To make matters worse, the school dist. purchased 58 acres that drain into our little creek, clear cut about 2/3rds of it, and then BULLDOZED the land...even though they have no definite plans to build there any time within the next decade or two! When we have a storm, all that loose dirt starts moving downhill, and I have a huge chocolate brown lake that covers much of the half-acre of front yard and over 100' of driveway. Then, I need waders instead of just boots to get out to the road. Yes, I really LOVE development!

Jump to this post

The quilt trail sounds fascinating! I read your post while eating a grilled cheese sandwich, made with Tillamook cheese, coincidentally enough, in FL where I'm visiting.

I have a cat which (whom?), I rescued from here last Thanksgiving but now lives with me in Asheville, NC.

She is fascinated to be, once again, seeing her former 'backyard playground.' So I tossed out almonds and oatmeal cookies to attract some of the other local species she's used to seeing on Florida mornings.

Within a half hour, young squirrels, several ibis, doves, a miscellany of sparrows, two cardinals, a woodpecker and a bright green iguana were outside and in full view from the terrace. And a Cuban brown anole on the inside of the terrace screen but unnoticed by Mocha so safe.

I was half-hoping for a 'murder of crows" just so I could actually use the phrase but am glad they found other feeding grounds as they seemed to drive away the sparrows and a few of the sparrows appear to some of the newly-released yellow-breasted birds that were becoming rare and are the result of a breeding-and-release program in a nearby county. [Note to breeders. They seem to like Publix oatmeal cookies. ]

I'll drive along the ocean later today to check on the Gulf Stream, without which the U.K. and parts of Europe would face an ice age, due in part to the Labrador Current, according to meteorologists. I find 'rivers' in the ocean fascinating...

@alive

I know! It’s hard to believe, but night time temperatures in the desert can drop to below freezing this time of the year. Then they rise during the day to 70’s and very sunny skies. I like the Arizona sunshine the most.

I have been to Oregon once. It’s such a beautiful state! My brother now lives in Portland, so I am hoping to visit him there next year.

Jump to this post

Reply to @alive:
At one time, I thought that Portland was a pretty place, but it has become ugly, as far as I'm concerned: too many people (many of them homeless), too much traffic, too much hustle and bustle. Here, we live on "coast time," where there's always time to say "hi" or to wave, even to total strangers. When we're out walking, we not only make eye contact, but often stop and chat. In this little town, we're a community rather than a bunch of people jammed into too little space. When I drive to the Portland area every two weeks to load bread donated by Dave's to our Backpacks for Kids program, I usually have a long list of things I need to do...but, I often just ignore the list and head toward home.

Of course, since Lincoln City (what a stupid name for a tiny town that Lincoln was never within thousands of miles of), being a tourist town, expands by 50,000 people on a nice weekend. Then, it's best to stay off the highway and out of the stores 'cause the thing about just too many people is in your face. Still, there are moments you wouldn't be likely to experience in the big city. One Saturday, I hadn't bought enough milk for the weekend, so found myself in Safeway, in a line that took at least a half hour. During the wait, the people behind me struck up a conversation, and she was from SE Alaska, a halibut and salmon fishing guide, so we had lots in common since I've been in the sport fishing business most of my life. Believe it or not, when we went to what is the best restaurant within 25 or 30 miles Monday night, they were sitting at a table near us! Yesterday, the town's tourism director did a program for our lecture series for older folks...he's also the secretary of Backpacks. I know dozens of people who simply walk the one-lane gravel road in front of our property, although, when I lived in Portland, I barely knew my next door neighbors.
I really, really believe that what's wrong with this country is that far too many people have little or no connection with the Earth.

@joyces

Reply to @alive:
At one time, I thought that Portland was a pretty place, but it has become ugly, as far as I'm concerned: too many people (many of them homeless), too much traffic, too much hustle and bustle. Here, we live on "coast time," where there's always time to say "hi" or to wave, even to total strangers. When we're out walking, we not only make eye contact, but often stop and chat. In this little town, we're a community rather than a bunch of people jammed into too little space. When I drive to the Portland area every two weeks to load bread donated by Dave's to our Backpacks for Kids program, I usually have a long list of things I need to do...but, I often just ignore the list and head toward home.

Of course, since Lincoln City (what a stupid name for a tiny town that Lincoln was never within thousands of miles of), being a tourist town, expands by 50,000 people on a nice weekend. Then, it's best to stay off the highway and out of the stores 'cause the thing about just too many people is in your face. Still, there are moments you wouldn't be likely to experience in the big city. One Saturday, I hadn't bought enough milk for the weekend, so found myself in Safeway, in a line that took at least a half hour. During the wait, the people behind me struck up a conversation, and she was from SE Alaska, a halibut and salmon fishing guide, so we had lots in common since I've been in the sport fishing business most of my life. Believe it or not, when we went to what is the best restaurant within 25 or 30 miles Monday night, they were sitting at a table near us! Yesterday, the town's tourism director did a program for our lecture series for older folks...he's also the secretary of Backpacks. I know dozens of people who simply walk the one-lane gravel road in front of our property, although, when I lived in Portland, I barely knew my next door neighbors.
I really, really believe that what's wrong with this country is that far too many people have little or no connection with the Earth.

Jump to this post

I keep seeing Forest Baths listed as an event type to help get more people back to connecting with nature and its energy fields. I never seen that phrase, Forest Bath or Forest Bathing, before so thought it might be a post-lockdown phenomenon. And lockdown itself triggered a renewed appreciation of the natural world for a lot of people who had time to review life priorities. I hope the trend continues to grow.

@callalloo

I keep seeing Forest Baths listed as an event type to help get more people back to connecting with nature and its energy fields. I never seen that phrase, Forest Bath or Forest Bathing, before so thought it might be a post-lockdown phenomenon. And lockdown itself triggered a renewed appreciation of the natural world for a lot of people who had time to review life priorities. I hope the trend continues to grow.

Jump to this post

I hadn't heard of Forest Baths, but it sounds like moving in the right direction. The Willamette Valley of Oregon has a few places where there are hot springs and someone has built bathhouses where people can relax, enjoy the warmth.

I was shocked years ago to learn that some of the little kids who came out to "help" us collect data had never before walked on earth/dirt/soil! Until the watershed where I volunteer was devastated in 2007 by a huge flood, part of what we did was take families and teenagers out to "help" us collect data. We taught them lots of basics about rivers, fish, forests, birds, etc. After the flood, it was simply too dangerous to allow little kids and families to come into the river canyon, so I really miss that! I remember a 12-year-old who came out toward the end of the season one year, when there just weren't any fish spawning in the three miles we surveyed. Then, I helped him don waders for the trip across the main stem for the final mile walk uphill and back to our vehicles. While I was helping his mother get into waders, he stepped into the river...and flushed out a hen steelhead of about 12 pounds starting to work on building a redd, not 10' from where he stepped into the water. I'll never forget his eyes! Talk about "big as saucers!"

Have no picture window, but the 3 in my kitchen allow a broad view of my spacious back deck and shaded back yard. While enjoying coffee, (with ZELDA the cat sharing the window view), we watched a sleek black momma cat and her black kitten, leap onto the wide wood railing, just above the 18” plant saucer I’ve adapted for bird water ( and baths) sitting on the wood bench. Birds are wise…..they delayed bathing to visit the feeders hanging close to the windows, 3 cat tail twiches!

@callalloo

Jump to this post

I did the forest bathing twice now. Each time I got something special out of it. For me it was all about being mindful with the program, while connecting with nature. Needless to say I felt energized and relaxed the whole day. It has beneficial effects for all kinds of things, from being addicted to electronics, to anxiety, to many others.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.