What's outside of your picture window today?

Posted by John, Volunteer Mentor @johnbishop, Nov 25, 2020

As we get ready for the real winter to show up and COVID-19 still playing a major part in our lives I like to spend moments of my day de-stressing about what's going on in the world today. All I have to do is look out the window and observe some of natures beautiful creatures, how they interact and ponder how small it makes my troubles seem. Sometimes I may even get the opportunity to take a photo or two. How about you? Anything going on outside of your window(s) that you want to share?

For those members that have the ability to size your photos before you upload them to the discussion, may I suggest using the following sizes:
– 500 x 335 pixels (landscape)
– 210 x 210 pixels (square)

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@joyces

Someone once remarked that you see mostly trees from every window in our home. We have 6' windows in the living room, dining room, and my office. Deer often come up to my window and fog it with their breath, apparently hoping that I'll come out on the front deck with apple slices for them. Their attitude seems to be, "Why aren't you outside where it's all so nice?" I'll try posting a small version of what I often see right behind my computer monitor. It's not unusual to have a cow elk or two, plus their calves, not 10' from my desk. Sometimes, the resident heron and the egret who'd like to move into our little valley get into aerial combat over the marsh 100' from my desk. It does make work difficult, but I LOVE seeing all the critters. We certainly wouldn't live in this cobbled-together beach shack if the acreage weren't so lovely!

Jump to this post

Oh how nice! Terrific to have them come up so close, oh I would love that!

what a relief to hear laughter and love, scattered amongst the detailed medical terminology. "fart" being one of the universally provocations to giggle.
we family members involved tangentially, to patients of pancreatic cancer
are straining to measure the needs of those who share the "ordeal".
when to give them their space, when to be study and when to allow the loved one suffering to know our "despair".....while staying optimistic.

I stay connected only because of people's comments/photos about what's outside. Always interesting to hear about other parts of the country. I've been in cities across the US for national outdoor trade shows, but usually saw nothing but the airport, the convention hotel, and the convention center (for five long 12-hour days). I've never had time to do any sightseeing, other than the time a bellman at an Austin, TX hotel set my luggage down in the sun so that I could "enjoy" it...he apparently didn't notice my Pacific NW paleface! We coasties consider 70 degrees a serious heat wave! We have even temps most of the year: just as much chance to wear no coat in December as there is that I might wear a parka in July! I remember once when it got below freezing: broken pipes everywhere, one building with cascades of water running down its side. What's insulation?

My husband grew up in Alaska. One summer, while visiting there, we went through one of the most historic homes, one of the first built in the late teens (of the 20th century). The walls were stuffed with clothing the kids had outgrown; the wife took the kids and left after one winter! I've enjoyed many summer visits, but have no desire to go there when there's that terrible white stuff on the ground (often September-May)! I like this nice, boring temperate climate.

@sueinmn

Technically not out the window. A traditional fall walk in the woods on the Laurentian Divide in Northern Minnesota

Jump to this post

Unrelated to the topic, but isn't "Laurentian Divide" a pretty phrase? Or maybe I just like the sound of Laurentian. I once took a train through Northumberland in the U.K. and heard the conductors voice saying Northumberland, basso profundity, in my head for days. [The trip included a stop in John O'Groats, another irresistible name.]

@joyces

Someone once remarked that you see mostly trees from every window in our home. We have 6' windows in the living room, dining room, and my office. Deer often come up to my window and fog it with their breath, apparently hoping that I'll come out on the front deck with apple slices for them. Their attitude seems to be, "Why aren't you outside where it's all so nice?" I'll try posting a small version of what I often see right behind my computer monitor. It's not unusual to have a cow elk or two, plus their calves, not 10' from my desk. Sometimes, the resident heron and the egret who'd like to move into our little valley get into aerial combat over the marsh 100' from my desk. It does make work difficult, but I LOVE seeing all the critters. We certainly wouldn't live in this cobbled-together beach shack if the acreage weren't so lovely!

Jump to this post

How sweet!

@callalloo

Unrelated to the topic, but isn't "Laurentian Divide" a pretty phrase? Or maybe I just like the sound of Laurentian. I once took a train through Northumberland in the U.K. and heard the conductors voice saying Northumberland, basso profundity, in my head for days. [The trip included a stop in John O'Groats, another irresistible name.]

Jump to this post

Yes I have always liked it. It is the little known place in the North Central US, South of it rivers flow to the gulf of Mexico, North of it to Hudson Bay. It is a lovely high glacial ridge with lovely views of the northern pine/aspen/tamarack forests

NOoo... Tuesday it was 81 and I was having fun in the garden, gathering seeds and the last tomatoes. This is what I see on my pond today... and it's 32 degrees.

@sueinmn

NOoo... Tuesday it was 81 and I was having fun in the garden, gathering seeds and the last tomatoes. This is what I see on my pond today... and it's 32 degrees.

Jump to this post

Nooo 😹
But it looks so nice though, nice set-up!

Each morning I look out my window and find peace. I also meditate which calms my mind with the clutter of daily life.

@sandrastaggs

Each morning I look out my window and find peace. I also meditate which calms my mind with the clutter of daily life.

Jump to this post

Beautiful!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.