What's outside of your picture window today?

Posted by John, Volunteer Mentor @johnbishop, Nov 25, 2020

As we get ready for the real winter to show up and COVID-19 still playing a major part in our lives I like to spend moments of my day de-stressing about what's going on in the world today. All I have to do is look out the window and observe some of natures beautiful creatures, how they interact and ponder how small it makes my troubles seem. Sometimes I may even get the opportunity to take a photo or two. How about you? Anything going on outside of your window(s) that you want to share?

For those members that have the ability to size your photos before you upload them to the discussion, may I suggest using the following sizes:
– 500 x 335 pixels (landscape)
– 210 x 210 pixels (square)

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

All the talk about ways to get exercise makes me chuckle...living here, caring for this land, I have endless "opportunities" to get exercise. I mow, with a self-propelled walk-behind mower, roughly an acre, and all of our property is very hilly. I've totally worn out the lovely contractor's wheelbarrow by husband bought for my birthday a few years back, hauling trimmings, dirt, and gravel. We have a long driveway that floods every winter, so the gravel truck comes and dumps starting at the top, but there's always lots that needs to be moved to make it all even. I have a little flower bed out by the road (where there aren't big trees to steal all the sunshine): it's about 50' by 15' or 20' and the marsh keeps trying to claim the lowest part of it. I trim all the ferns every spring, and there are several dozen around the edges of the mowed area. That alone is lots of work, both the trimming and the hauling the trimmed fronds to the debris bin. Every day I walk a quarter-mile each way to retrieve the mail, sometimes extending the walk to go the short distance to the ocean.

The main exercise, though is of two kinds. First, I volunteer for Backpacks for Kids, which means driving over 100 miles each way to load 400-500 loaves of Dave's Killer Bread donated to our program every two weeks. That's real work, picking loaves off the stacks of trays, putting them in totes, and then lifting the totes up into the van. Of course, there's also the unloading! There's eternal shelf stocking and packing food boxes; I'm the oldest of the three of us who've kept this program going during Covid, and I'm the only one who can lift. The other kind is all related to fishing and data collection about wild steelhead. Lots of hiking in really rough country, crossing rivers, and, best of all, rowing my 18' driftboat. I don't know what my heart rate is, but I do know that I'm in far better shape than lots of much younger folks. In fact, I used to deliver bread to a retirement home where people only need to be 55 to live there...lots of them were in really sad shape, so I used to think it was kind of funny that I, older than all of them, was helping the "old people."

My goal is to continue to collect data on wild steelhead at least as long as the retired biologist who got us started on this project 30 years ago: Walt was in his late 80s when he did his last survey, a mere six months before he died. He was a real "iron man." Once, while fishing, a boulder rolled onto his foot and broke it. He managed to walk the two difficult miles (including crossing a major river) back to his truck and then drove himself over a hundred miles to go to an ER. Tough guy!

@contentandwell

@kilh
As I commented, I have cut back on my walking. I will not walk on my street. As soon as I walk out my driveway I either have to go left and up a hill or right and down a hill which of course means to get back I will be going up. Hills bother me.

In NH they took unused railroad routes, took the tracks up, and paved them. It is all over the state, sometimes there are breaks in the continuity but it goes for many miles. It's flat of course because railroad tracks were flat and it's generally through pretty wooded areas so very pleasant. Find a good place to walk, your own street if it's flat, and just start out with five or 10 minutes and go from there. I try to walk briskly so it will be cardio but yesterday I was just trying to accomplish it because my legs have been hurting so my HR never got up as far as 90.

I use a lot of YouTube videos for exercise at home. There are many that I like and they come in all different levels and some use weights. You can use weights as light as water bottles. If you go to YouTube and search for these they will come up and then you can hit the "subscribe" link and you will get the new ones whenever they are available.
My favorite YouTube videos are:
~Jenny McClendon - she has older videos plus newer ones that you have to pay $10 a month to subscribe to. She did just actually add one to the free ones too. She was a physical therapist so she knows what you should be doing to be safe.
~Senior Fitness by Meredith
~Silver Sneakers
~Joanna M -- she does senior videos. I haven't used her recently.
~Denise Austin -- I am not a big fan of hers but she does have some good, brief videos.
~Annie Murtagh -- she has a lot of brief videos using light weights.
~Shellea Fowler (Fabulous 50s) She does not show her credentials anywhere so I do some of her short videos but I don't feel 100% comfortable with what she knows. She also seems to think she's an authority on how you should dress and many other areas.

There's yoga ones, pilates, dance, anything you want.

I like the videos that are 10-15 minutes, I find I get bored if they are longer than that, although the ones that are Tabata can generally keep my interest. Tabata is doing high intensity for a short time followed by a brief rest time. One of the ones I like does 40 seconds of exercise followed by 20 seconds of rest. It follows 9 different exercises, and each exercise is repeated 8 times.

Good Luck with finding some that you enjoy. There really is something for everyone out there.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell, @sueinmn, @loribmt, @gingerw, @kilh, @johnbishop, and all...
Well, you have a bunch more mobility and energy than I, JK. I'm so excited now I'm able to shop online and even go to some of the stores to find the organizers, baskets/wire shelving/wire baskets/shelves, etc for my son to help him get his home organized.

We've both finally, after 20 years, accepted his disability and situation aren't improving and even if he gets the brain surgery we're praying for from Mayo, he'll still be unable to lift his head, look up, raise his arms, use his left arm and be in pain of some kind....etc....so, I'm redoing all his closets and kitchen and baths, mainly.

I just added an attractive adjustable shower rod to his laundry room so he can hang the clothes as he takes them out of the laundry. He loves it! Had no idea what I was doing but once he saw it up with hangers, he was really pleased. He's at the point where he has to see it in use to get it, so now that I've finally gotten this is the way his brain works these days, I'm saving enormous amounts of energy and frustration. Now, I can buy what I envision, install it and usually not have to cart it back across the street on my walker to my home!

I'm putting cubbies, baskets, and drawers in the closets upstairs and downstairs on the floor for his drawer-type clothes and hanging his shirts on new, thin hangers on lowered rods. Only things he needs to store go above low eye level. He can't raise his head now to see at normal eye level. so we're adjusting.

This is a big project for me as I'm so physically limited but I'm loving it. I'm getting things that require little installation since I don't do that anymore. It's really helping him in a tangible way. And, I'm doing the same kind of thing for me at my place. Cleared all my closets. It's fun to toss things out, donate or sell. I'm getting brutal now and it feels wonderful! Not keeping 3 sizes of clothes for different weights...what I wear now only. If I lose or gain, I'll deal. At home, I wear robes and loungewear that travel the various sizes. So, no more extras. And, I'm excited to have the energy to get these things done. It takes days for one closet, but I have the days right now so I'm thrilled. Thankful to be at this point that I can get these things accomplished. It's been years since I was this able...And, I'm not seeing doctors almost daily anymore, so I have the time...

I hate the youtube exercise videos! Hate them! I don't want to put myself through the horror of seeing what I can't do. I love my 95-degree therapy pool at the rehab center. I visit 2x weekly and get really deep relaxation of my bones/muscles and mind. I also, when I'm not overly tired, walk with a float for balance, and use the water dumbells for upper body work to get rid, HA!, of the angel wings. I move in the water but have learned how to reduce the action when I should, not push it, When I try too much exercise, even in the water, I pay for days after. So, I've learned to keep it slow and steady, and comfy.

I'm thrilled to be able to do this! This is a wonderful exercise for this lady. And, as I've mentioned, I walk the beautiful connecting inside corridors connecting the 3 main Mayo buildings, enjoying the peace, and beauty, the glass walls bring in the lovely campus, nature, the art, and the people.

Last year, I wasn't able to do any of the organization or clearing out of our condos. I spent most days at a doc or resting. Mayo changed my life tremendously.

Did anybody see the pictures attached to my previous post? Know what the plant is with the huge, interesting bulbous root and small, thin stems and leaves? I need help identifying it. Sue, @sueinmn, any idea? You're my got-to-plant expert!

I'm exhausted. Cleaned out, and emptied my linen closet today, cleaned and lined shelves, and moved storage things to that closet instead of cluttering my other rooms or storage. Like creams, backup meds, backup lotions, t-tissue, tissues, etc. I'm pleased with this move. The linens are in the rooms where they're used. So, this is a good thing!

Let me know if you need anything...I'm sure I have some duplicates I can send your way! BOGO sales really get me, I love them...Blessings all. Elizabeth

@ess77

@contentandwell, @sueinmn, @loribmt, @gingerw, @kilh, @johnbishop, and all...
Well, you have a bunch more mobility and energy than I, JK. I'm so excited now I'm able to shop online and even go to some of the stores to find the organizers, baskets/wire shelving/wire baskets/shelves, etc for my son to help him get his home organized.

We've both finally, after 20 years, accepted his disability and situation aren't improving and even if he gets the brain surgery we're praying for from Mayo, he'll still be unable to lift his head, look up, raise his arms, use his left arm and be in pain of some kind....etc....so, I'm redoing all his closets and kitchen and baths, mainly.

I just added an attractive adjustable shower rod to his laundry room so he can hang the clothes as he takes them out of the laundry. He loves it! Had no idea what I was doing but once he saw it up with hangers, he was really pleased. He's at the point where he has to see it in use to get it, so now that I've finally gotten this is the way his brain works these days, I'm saving enormous amounts of energy and frustration. Now, I can buy what I envision, install it and usually not have to cart it back across the street on my walker to my home!

I'm putting cubbies, baskets, and drawers in the closets upstairs and downstairs on the floor for his drawer-type clothes and hanging his shirts on new, thin hangers on lowered rods. Only things he needs to store go above low eye level. He can't raise his head now to see at normal eye level. so we're adjusting.

This is a big project for me as I'm so physically limited but I'm loving it. I'm getting things that require little installation since I don't do that anymore. It's really helping him in a tangible way. And, I'm doing the same kind of thing for me at my place. Cleared all my closets. It's fun to toss things out, donate or sell. I'm getting brutal now and it feels wonderful! Not keeping 3 sizes of clothes for different weights...what I wear now only. If I lose or gain, I'll deal. At home, I wear robes and loungewear that travel the various sizes. So, no more extras. And, I'm excited to have the energy to get these things done. It takes days for one closet, but I have the days right now so I'm thrilled. Thankful to be at this point that I can get these things accomplished. It's been years since I was this able...And, I'm not seeing doctors almost daily anymore, so I have the time...

I hate the youtube exercise videos! Hate them! I don't want to put myself through the horror of seeing what I can't do. I love my 95-degree therapy pool at the rehab center. I visit 2x weekly and get really deep relaxation of my bones/muscles and mind. I also, when I'm not overly tired, walk with a float for balance, and use the water dumbells for upper body work to get rid, HA!, of the angel wings. I move in the water but have learned how to reduce the action when I should, not push it, When I try too much exercise, even in the water, I pay for days after. So, I've learned to keep it slow and steady, and comfy.

I'm thrilled to be able to do this! This is a wonderful exercise for this lady. And, as I've mentioned, I walk the beautiful connecting inside corridors connecting the 3 main Mayo buildings, enjoying the peace, and beauty, the glass walls bring in the lovely campus, nature, the art, and the people.

Last year, I wasn't able to do any of the organization or clearing out of our condos. I spent most days at a doc or resting. Mayo changed my life tremendously.

Did anybody see the pictures attached to my previous post? Know what the plant is with the huge, interesting bulbous root and small, thin stems and leaves? I need help identifying it. Sue, @sueinmn, any idea? You're my got-to-plant expert!

I'm exhausted. Cleaned out, and emptied my linen closet today, cleaned and lined shelves, and moved storage things to that closet instead of cluttering my other rooms or storage. Like creams, backup meds, backup lotions, t-tissue, tissues, etc. I'm pleased with this move. The linens are in the rooms where they're used. So, this is a good thing!

Let me know if you need anything...I'm sure I have some duplicates I can send your way! BOGO sales really get me, I love them...Blessings all. Elizabeth

Jump to this post

Elizabeth - I love all the organizing you are working on - my life is getting so much simpler as I give away, donate, recycle and toss. I even got my husband involved. He just went through a 4 drawer oak file cabinet, and has less than I drawerful left. A 3 drawer cabinet plus a box of CD's & DVD's now fills less than 1 drawer. Next come his computer, radio & chemistry books...
I now actually have empty bins, totes, drawers and a few bare shelves!
Good thing I have most of it done, as I have been put on 4 weeks of "light duty" by my chiro & PT while they get me back in shape! Guess maybe I have been doing a little too much.

Tomorrow I will get some outside pics as my friend and I do our last indigo dye session for the summer & dump the pots. We need daytime temps in the 80's and overnights in the 60'-70's to keep the dye "alive" and Fall is coming.

I am SO happy to hear you are up and doing again - and that you have finally figured out how to help Rob.
Sue

@carolc66

these are such uplifting posts to read. Out my window are lots of deer, eating my plants and trying to fatten up for winter.
Does anyone else grow Grecian Roses? My friend, who also has cancer, gave me some starter plants and they have spread all over my garden. they are delightful plants with beautiful yellow flowers in the early summer.
It is a bit of a struggle every day to stay cheerful but I keep very active. I will be starting treatments for my NET soon and I don't know what that will leave me feeling like but I hope to carry on.
I am alone some of the time so I try to fill every day with some "friend" activity. I play cards with one group and mahjong with another. which has been a tremendous anxiety breaker.
I also am very active in a service organization. Just try to keep going.
I have been staying off the internet as I don't want to be pulled down into the land of statistics. God is my doctor and He can perform miracles.
I need to get some physical exercise in so I ordered a stationary bike. I live in a cold climate and I wanted to get something that would allow me to exercise all year long. I am going to take JK's advice and watch some youtube videos on yoga, pilates, etc. sounds like a good idea
I am also fasting which is a great way to feel better. I have researched is some and it is beneficial for those people fighting cancer. Does anyone else fast?

Jump to this post

I'm kind of trying fasting but with no exact plan yet. I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience getting into fasting mode.

@sueinmn

Elizabeth - I love all the organizing you are working on - my life is getting so much simpler as I give away, donate, recycle and toss. I even got my husband involved. He just went through a 4 drawer oak file cabinet, and has less than I drawerful left. A 3 drawer cabinet plus a box of CD's & DVD's now fills less than 1 drawer. Next come his computer, radio & chemistry books...
Good thing I have most of it done, as I have been put on 4 weeks of "light duty" by my chiro & PT while they get me back in shape! Guess maybe I have been doing a little too much.

Tomorrow I will get some outside pics as my friend and I do our last indigo dye session for the summer & dump the pots. We need daytime temps in the 80's and overnights in the 60'-70's to keep the dye "alive" and Fall is coming.

I am SO happy to hear you are up and doing again - and that you have finally figured out how to help Rob.
Sue

Jump to this post

I hope you post a picture or two (or more) of your indigo projects. I've never done any dying but have watched shibori videos and am taking an ice dying class this week. But won't be using lovely indigo, alas.

@callalloo

I hope you post a picture or two (or more) of your indigo projects. I've never done any dying but have watched shibori videos and am taking an ice dying class this week. But won't be using lovely indigo, alas.

Jump to this post

I'll try to remember that tomorrow. Indigo is fun and easy - but messy enough to stay outdoors.

@johnbishop

Hi Carol @carolc66, I find these posts uplifting too. I think it's great that you ordered a stationary exercise bike so that you can get the needed exercise in the colder months. I have had one for quite a few years along with a few other inside toys to provide exercise. I do intermittent fasting, mostly to control my weight but also because I fall in the prediabetic category and it helps me limit what I eat and how much. There is another discussion that you might find helpful since you asked about fasting.

-- Low-carb healthy fat living. Intermittent fasting. What’s your why?:
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/low-carb-healthy-fat-living-intermittent-fasting-whats-your-why/

Jump to this post

Hi @johnbishop
thank you for your encouraging words about the exercise bike. I intend to do some yoga or other exercise through youtube as well.
I do fast intermittently but then I also go on a 3-day fast as well. I am trying to control weight but, more importantly, I have read several sights about how fasting can be very beneficial if you have cancer.

@callalloo

I'm kind of trying fasting but with no exact plan yet. I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience getting into fasting mode.

Jump to this post

I just went cold turkey. Big thing is to stay busy during the days that you fast. I write books so it is a good time to write or take a walk. I catch up on correspondence, and calls to my friends, and I find once you get past the first two days, it is much easier.

@callalloo

Jump to this post

I think that learning a new task or just getting interested in a hobby can be so beneficial to our mental health. This is the first time I learned about shibori tie-dying. It is beautiful. the only dying I did in the past was tie-dying back in the '60s.

@sueinmn

Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn, @callalloo, and all...Sue, help me out please. Whats involved in the indigo dyeing and why do you do this annually...for your fabric crafts? Quilting? Help!

Also, you know you overdue, silly woman. You do more than I could do years ago. I marvel at your 'jobs', walking, window work, sanding and so much more. I know some is thanks to prednisone, but not all and your body can still do it! Remarkable...

Sue, what is this crazy looking thing? One of my rescue. This it doing much better, believe it or not...

Be well and blessed. Elizabeth

Please sign in or register to post a reply.