What's outside of your picture window today?

Posted by John, Volunteer Mentor @johnbishop, Nov 25, 2020

As we get ready for the real winter to show up and COVID-19 still playing a major part in our lives I like to spend moments of my day de-stressing about what's going on in the world today. All I have to do is look out the window and observe some of natures beautiful creatures, how they interact and ponder how small it makes my troubles seem. Sometimes I may even get the opportunity to take a photo or two. How about you? Anything going on outside of your window(s) that you want to share?

For those members that have the ability to size your photos before you upload them to the discussion, may I suggest using the following sizes:
– 500 x 335 pixels (landscape)
– 210 x 210 pixels (square)

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@artist01

@loribmt, @jakedduck1 ,@ess77. Love the string of tiny icicles hanging from that log, Lori. Great pictures!
AND, our winds are HOWLING out there tonight! With rain too. We're expecting what the TV news called
"a weather bomb", tomorrow. The north end of our Vancouver Island may get winds up to 120 (hurricane level). Here, in the mid-island area, we can expect 50 to 70 tonight and tomorrow. Yikes. It's been awful weather here pretty much all month. Dark and rainy.
Wellll, we do choose to live in a rain forest! 😊
I get my Covid booster shot tomorrow. I received a letter from our Provincial Health Officer saying I am
"clinically extremely vulnerable with respect to Covid 19". I knew that! 🤣 My 1st shot (Moderna) was fine, no side effect, but the 4th day after the 2nd Moderna, I was feeling so nauseated and dizzy, I could barely eat or drink for five days. I sure hope the booster goes a bit easier, although I realize a good reaction means I built up lots of antibodies!!
Are any of you going for that third jab? I think you should! Hugs and warm thoughts. Laurie

Jump to this post

I had Pfizer. dose #1 on 1/24, dose #2 on 2/14, dose #3 on 8/19. Some short-term fever and arm soreness, a bit of nausea. Got my flu shot in the other arm last week [Fluzone High Dose]
Ginger

@gingerw

I had Pfizer. dose #1 on 1/24, dose #2 on 2/14, dose #3 on 8/19. Some short-term fever and arm soreness, a bit of nausea. Got my flu shot in the other arm last week [Fluzone High Dose]
Ginger

Jump to this post

@loribmt, @gingerw. The Covid vaccination team arrived at our assisted living place on Friday a.m. for our booster shots of Moderna. Each of us got a letter showing our designated vaccination time. My time was 11:50 a.m. I arrived at the vaccination site in our library at 11:35 a.m. only to find the place empty! I was told the team left half an hour before. They FORGOT me!! Our Manager suggested I go downtown to the vaccination centre and get my shot by myself, in a taxi. In my current weak and sickly condition I told her that would be an impossible feat for me to attempt. Long story short, the Manager drove me to the site. Wrong place. Drove to the second suggested site. Not there either. Finally found it and joined about 30 other people in various stages of getting their jab. Waited about an hour, sitting on my walker, and finally got my booster shot. I could never have done that on my own! Being "clinically extremely vulnerable with respect to Covid 19" as per a letter I received from the Provincial Public Health Officer, it even now worries me that I spent such a long time with so many people, some of whom were there for their first shot.
I know I have a lot of things I could die from but I sure don't want to die from Covid 19! (Such a worry wort I can be!) I'm over it now. Lol.
Anyway, I'm happy I got my booster!! (although the Manager did admit it was her mistake. I had my flu shot the week before and she got mixed up.) I gave her a nice handmade card of thanks and told her she had redeemed herself and saved the day. 😊 I apologize for this long diatribe!! I have no one to vent to here. 🤣 All is well. Warm wishes to all. Laurie

@artist01

@loribmt, @gingerw. The Covid vaccination team arrived at our assisted living place on Friday a.m. for our booster shots of Moderna. Each of us got a letter showing our designated vaccination time. My time was 11:50 a.m. I arrived at the vaccination site in our library at 11:35 a.m. only to find the place empty! I was told the team left half an hour before. They FORGOT me!! Our Manager suggested I go downtown to the vaccination centre and get my shot by myself, in a taxi. In my current weak and sickly condition I told her that would be an impossible feat for me to attempt. Long story short, the Manager drove me to the site. Wrong place. Drove to the second suggested site. Not there either. Finally found it and joined about 30 other people in various stages of getting their jab. Waited about an hour, sitting on my walker, and finally got my booster shot. I could never have done that on my own! Being "clinically extremely vulnerable with respect to Covid 19" as per a letter I received from the Provincial Public Health Officer, it even now worries me that I spent such a long time with so many people, some of whom were there for their first shot.
I know I have a lot of things I could die from but I sure don't want to die from Covid 19! (Such a worry wort I can be!) I'm over it now. Lol.
Anyway, I'm happy I got my booster!! (although the Manager did admit it was her mistake. I had my flu shot the week before and she got mixed up.) I gave her a nice handmade card of thanks and told her she had redeemed herself and saved the day. 😊 I apologize for this long diatribe!! I have no one to vent to here. 🤣 All is well. Warm wishes to all. Laurie

Jump to this post

No worries, we're always here to listen. What a comedy of errors. So glad the manager made it work! That is definitely another example of our caregivers commitment to their work.
Sue

@sueinmn

No worries, we're always here to listen. What a comedy of errors. So glad the manager made it work! That is definitely another example of our caregivers commitment to their work.
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn Hi Sue. You're so right about our caregivers. ❤ They're the BEST! And for sure, my situation was a comedy of errors! Gads! I'm kinda' laughing about it now, but it sure wasn't funny at the time. The Manager kept repeating "Don't be upset" over and over when I first approached her in shock and dismay to tell her they'd forgotten me. "I AM upset" said I.
😆 🤣 😂
And Sue, thanks for your kind words. Mayo Clinic Connect members are always there to listen when we need them. Gratefully, Laurie

What a beautiful way to start a Sunday Morning!

@artist01

Jump to this post

Oh my gosh, Laurie!! How could YOU possibly ever be forgotten. 😘
What a hassle that was for you! Well, I’m glad you finally got the booster and your manager was nice enough to help you out in that regard. Aw, I can imagine you’re concerned about exposure. But if you stayed fairly distanced and wore your mask, you’ll be good, my dear.
Hah, being a worry wort isn’t all bad…it keeps you healthy! Hugs!!!

Outside my back window, the tall evergreens have kept their dark green foliage. Between them, peaking through and announcing themselves, are oak and other trees, resplendent in their colorful glory as they change from green to orange to yellow to dead leaves. The winds have swirled the leaves about, and they are carried off in the nearby creek, leaving a constant carpet change under the trees. Over our back fence, the does and their fawns [including one set of twins!] have taken refuge at night under a quartet of evergreens, coming out each morning to stare as I prepare coffee.

Just outside our dining room sliding door, where I tilt the blinds each morning to watch birds and trees, the silver madrone tree that straddles the property line is showing the effects of upcoming winter as it turns slowly to simply hibernation. I watch with concern each change of seasons as a vertical crack that runs the length of the trunk portends a failure. A small tree that has volunteered itself among the madrone's roots has turned orange and yellow in stark contrast. A bit further off is a red madrone, its trunk and branches' bark almost stripped by the winds. When it is drizzling or not raining, the chickadees and sparrows are joined by scrubjays and blue birds looking for bugs, their work serenaded by mockingbirds and woodpeckers.
Ginger

@loribmt

Oh my gosh, Laurie!! How could YOU possibly ever be forgotten. 😘
What a hassle that was for you! Well, I’m glad you finally got the booster and your manager was nice enough to help you out in that regard. Aw, I can imagine you’re concerned about exposure. But if you stayed fairly distanced and wore your mask, you’ll be good, my dear.
Hah, being a worry wort isn’t all bad…it keeps you healthy! Hugs!!!

Jump to this post

@loribmt and @gingerw. Yes, Lori. How COULD they forget ME!! 🤣 I felt so personally affronted, my feelings were so hurt, all my abandonment issues surfaced! 🤣 It was all very traumatic. I suffered PTSD for at least an hour or so afterward. 🤣
And, we were not always properly distanced. Very worrisome to a worry wort. (It really feels good to finally vent.) Thanks everybody. ❤

@gingerw

Outside my back window, the tall evergreens have kept their dark green foliage. Between them, peaking through and announcing themselves, are oak and other trees, resplendent in their colorful glory as they change from green to orange to yellow to dead leaves. The winds have swirled the leaves about, and they are carried off in the nearby creek, leaving a constant carpet change under the trees. Over our back fence, the does and their fawns [including one set of twins!] have taken refuge at night under a quartet of evergreens, coming out each morning to stare as I prepare coffee.

Just outside our dining room sliding door, where I tilt the blinds each morning to watch birds and trees, the silver madrone tree that straddles the property line is showing the effects of upcoming winter as it turns slowly to simply hibernation. I watch with concern each change of seasons as a vertical crack that runs the length of the trunk portends a failure. A small tree that has volunteered itself among the madrone's roots has turned orange and yellow in stark contrast. A bit further off is a red madrone, its trunk and branches' bark almost stripped by the winds. When it is drizzling or not raining, the chickadees and sparrows are joined by scrubjays and blue birds looking for bugs, their work serenaded by mockingbirds and woodpeckers.
Ginger

Jump to this post

What a picture you have painted in my mind! Thank you, as I am looking at our waning autumn landscape, hnukering down and preparing for the Winter.
Sue

@artist01

@loribmt and @gingerw. Yes, Lori. How COULD they forget ME!! 🤣 I felt so personally affronted, my feelings were so hurt, all my abandonment issues surfaced! 🤣 It was all very traumatic. I suffered PTSD for at least an hour or so afterward. 🤣
And, we were not always properly distanced. Very worrisome to a worry wort. (It really feels good to finally vent.) Thanks everybody. ❤

Jump to this post

Abandonment issues aside I’m so happy you came out of all of this unscathed. 😅

Please sign in or register to post a reply.