What's outside of your picture window today?

Posted by John, Volunteer Mentor @johnbishop, Nov 25, 2020

As we get ready for the real winter to show up and COVID-19 still playing a major part in our lives I like to spend moments of my day de-stressing about what's going on in the world today. All I have to do is look out the window and observe some of natures beautiful creatures, how they interact and ponder how small it makes my troubles seem. Sometimes I may even get the opportunity to take a photo or two. How about you? Anything going on outside of your window(s) that you want to share?

For those members that have the ability to size your photos before you upload them to the discussion, may I suggest using the following sizes:
– 500 x 335 pixels (landscape)
– 210 x 210 pixels (square)

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@hopeful33250

@loribmt,
That is one scary Florida dude in the picture! You were smart not to go closer. How far away were you?

Jump to this post

We were only about 15 feet away. Enough to get the hair raising on the back of my neck. Our encounter was very brief. I already had my camera in hand because of birds I was photographing, so I just snapped and then we hightailed it out of there!
We had to walk past that area about 2 hours later to get to our car. The big gator was gone but there was a smaller one about 3 feet in the same place. He kept crawling out farther onto the road!! We were in the car by that time but there were other people getting really close! Yikes.

The window has many different visitors but only one is allowed through the window into the house 🙃

@johnbishop

The window has many different visitors but only one is allowed through the window into the house 🙃

Jump to this post

That’s a very popular wall for critters, John. How fun! The squirrel seems as comfy as your cat. 😊 Your cat is gorgeous.
I had a bird visitor in the house the other day! The patio door was open for fresh air…no bugs! As I was walking through the living room I noticed a sparrow in the tray of sea shells on the table, looking right at home like this was normal! What the heck!!!
He saw me and took off through the door but sat on the railing 8 feet away waiting for me to move! I did…to shut the door! LOL.

@loribmt

That’s a very popular wall for critters, John. How fun! The squirrel seems as comfy as your cat. 😊 Your cat is gorgeous.
I had a bird visitor in the house the other day! The patio door was open for fresh air…no bugs! As I was walking through the living room I noticed a sparrow in the tray of sea shells on the table, looking right at home like this was normal! What the heck!!!
He saw me and took off through the door but sat on the railing 8 feet away waiting for me to move! I did…to shut the door! LOL.

Jump to this post

Thanks Lori, I'm thinking birds are better than bats if they get inside the house. Years ago not long after we moved to Mantorville we had left a garage door open in the summer and came back in the evening and our son jumped out of the car and ran into the house while we were unloading the car from shopping. After a few minutes he ran out of the house yelling there are birds flying around in the house. We got in the house to find 2 small bats flying from the living room to the dining room to the kitchen area through open areas. We spent about an hour or so ushering them outside with towels and tennis rackets. Never leave my garage door open in the evenings anymore 😜

@johnbishop

Thanks Lori, I'm thinking birds are better than bats if they get inside the house. Years ago not long after we moved to Mantorville we had left a garage door open in the summer and came back in the evening and our son jumped out of the car and ran into the house while we were unloading the car from shopping. After a few minutes he ran out of the house yelling there are birds flying around in the house. We got in the house to find 2 small bats flying from the living room to the dining room to the kitchen area through open areas. We spent about an hour or so ushering them outside with towels and tennis rackets. Never leave my garage door open in the evenings anymore 😜

Jump to this post

Aw, John - that's no fun!
Growing up, I belonged to a church built in 1857, with a parsonage almost a old. "Bats in the belfry" were a normal part of life - they made semi-regular appearances at Sunday Mass - very exciting for us kids to hear the ladies screaming and see them ducking as the ushers grabbed brooms to shoo them out. There was a broom at the back door to the parsonage - to sweep away the bats from the ceiling before opening the door - the housekeeper was deathly afraid.
Now we love to watch them swooping around our yard near the pond in the evenings - eating lots of mosquitos.
Sue

@johnbishop

Jump to this post

@loribmt
I don't mind watching bats but not in my house or garage.
At Carlsbad Caverns, I didn't think they'd ever stop coming out. I read during migration there are over a million in there.

@loribmt

@artist01, @ess77, @jakedduck1 and fellow ‘window watchers’. Well, this isn’t outside my window but it was next to me on a walk yesterday in a Florida state park. I zoomed as much as I could with my phone. My husband was encouraging me to wade in to get a closer look. 😂

Jump to this post

@loribmt One of the reasons I would never move to Florida.
JK

@johnbishop

Jump to this post

@johnbishop Is that a red squirrel? Beware if it is, they are so destructive.
I love your cat.
JK

@johnbishop

Jump to this post

@johnbishop, @loribmt, @artist01, and all...Oh, my goodness, I do love that cat. He is a real cat of cat, John. Such attitude. I love your interesting, busy wall. Keep well and enjoy your blessings...elizabeth.

@loribmt

No worries, Elizabeth. My husband and I have been stuck together like glue for over 52 years and married for 47 of those. We’re both too old now to break in new spouses. 😂 He was joking about the alligator. And believe me we were cautious. I quietly and quickly snapped the pics and we were out of there.

I’m happy to hear you’ve turned the corner and getting better!! That’s fantastic. My gosh, you’ve been suffering for far too long and this is a much deserved break, Miss Elizabeth! If I could still do cartwheels without inflicting serious bodily injury I’d do a couple in celebration for you. 😅

Oh nasty news about the rats. I worry with using poison outside because squirrels and other animals get into that too. Then larger predator birds and animals eat the poisoned critters. That’s a conundrum on not feeding the birds or having rats…

Keep up the healing!! So good to have you back. 🥰

Jump to this post

@loribmt, @hopeful33250, and all...Lori, It's very obvious to all that you and this husband of yours are a great couple. I feel it every time you mention him in your messages. You must have a lovely relationship of many years, most enviable. You, my dear. have something so special with him, it seems to me...you have no need to have a concern. Simply hold on and enjoy the lovely ride....stay well, stay safe, and be blessed. elizabeth

Please sign in or register to post a reply.