What's outside of your picture window today?

Posted by John, Volunteer Mentor @johnbishop, Nov 25, 2020

As we get ready for the real winter to show up and COVID-19 still playing a major part in our lives I like to spend moments of my day de-stressing about what's going on in the world today. All I have to do is look out the window and observe some of natures beautiful creatures, how they interact and ponder how small it makes my troubles seem. Sometimes I may even get the opportunity to take a photo or two. How about you? Anything going on outside of your window(s) that you want to share?

For those members that have the ability to size your photos before you upload them to the discussion, may I suggest using the following sizes:
– 500 x 335 pixels (landscape)
– 210 x 210 pixels (square)

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@contentandwell

Beautiful, @loribmt
We really do not have any colors yet except an occasional branch.

When we look out our windows these days all we see are chipmunks and squirrels. We are overrun with them. My husband has tried so many different things to get rid of them because they are digging up our bark mulch - holes everywhere - lawn, and burrowing under the brick walkway making it buckle. They are costing us a lot of money.
JK

Jump to this post

I feel your pain with the critters!! We seem to be cyclical with the red squirrels. We’re pretty good this year but a year ago, we were as you said, over run! A couple of them ventured into the garage and were wreaking havoc in there. The final straw was making a nest in the wheel well of my car that had been parked for a week. Um, let’s say their fate was determined at that point. This year we hardly see any red squirrels and they’re replaced with Grey and Black. At least they’re not as destructive. Good luck!

@loribmt

Oh how pretty, Rosemary!! Do you bring them in the house for winter? I’ve never had luck with succulents blooming!

Jump to this post

Lori, This is a new experience for me. I've never had one bloom before, nor had them in a flower pot. All of my old ones were in the rock garden years ago.
So here is the problem...I'm not comfortable to bring them into the house. You know how it is for transplant patients! However since they are small. (there are 3 varieties) I'm thinking of purchasing some new clean indoor potting soil, and getting a clean pot and giving it a try.

@rosemarya

Lori, This is a new experience for me. I've never had one bloom before, nor had them in a flower pot. All of my old ones were in the rock garden years ago.
So here is the problem...I'm not comfortable to bring them into the house. You know how it is for transplant patients! However since they are small. (there are 3 varieties) I'm thinking of purchasing some new clean indoor potting soil, and getting a clean pot and giving it a try.

Jump to this post

Ugh, I know our problem of houseplants. I still have a couple in the house I can’t bare to part with. I wear a mask, water them at night right before bed.
I wonder if you can buy sterilized soil? Maybe @sueinmn would know? A while back I was reading about sterilizing soil in the microwave or oven. But we shouldn’t really be in the house during either of those operations. And I’d worry about the fan in the microwave releasing any fungus or contaminates making them airborne.
Could you wear a mask or have your husband pot the plant outdoors, water it and then bring it in the house? That might help avoid any issues.

@artist01 @ess77 @jakedduck1 and fellow Autumn lovers. More fall colors. This time from my friend Farmer Joe. I took these the other day at his produce stand before he sold out for the season.

@loribmt

@artist01 @ess77 @jakedduck1 and fellow Autumn lovers. More fall colors. This time from my friend Farmer Joe. I took these the other day at his produce stand before he sold out for the season.

Jump to this post

Wow! I really love these. They would make great fall cards.

@auntieoakley

Wow! I really love these. They would make great fall cards.

Jump to this post

Thanks Chris! Aren’t the colors just yummy? Yells autumn at the top of its lungs! This year’s harvest was particularly impressive.
We’ve been friends for 40+ years and I’ve used so many photos of his farm and produce for Thanksgiving cards. A couple years ago I sketched some little rustic watercolors of his farm and had them printed on cards for a gift box for Joe and his wife. Their farm is so serene. I just love going out to visit.
He also grows just gorgeous jewel toned corn. The stalks grow about 12 or more feet high!! The ears weren’t dry yet so this is a photo from the internet. But it’s exactly the corn he grows.

@loribmt

Ugh, I know our problem of houseplants. I still have a couple in the house I can’t bare to part with. I wear a mask, water them at night right before bed.
I wonder if you can buy sterilized soil? Maybe @sueinmn would know? A while back I was reading about sterilizing soil in the microwave or oven. But we shouldn’t really be in the house during either of those operations. And I’d worry about the fan in the microwave releasing any fungus or contaminates making them airborne.
Could you wear a mask or have your husband pot the plant outdoors, water it and then bring it in the house? That might help avoid any issues.

Jump to this post

@loribmt and @rosemarya Yes, you can get sterilized potting soil, then to keep stuff from growing on it and getting in the air, top it with a generous layer of aquarium gravel.
As for succulents, you can pot them in cactus mix, which looks like gravel and is far less likely to be contaminated. And they want to be in a very bright window and kept quite dry.
Sue

@loribmt

Thanks Chris! Aren’t the colors just yummy? Yells autumn at the top of its lungs! This year’s harvest was particularly impressive.
We’ve been friends for 40+ years and I’ve used so many photos of his farm and produce for Thanksgiving cards. A couple years ago I sketched some little rustic watercolors of his farm and had them printed on cards for a gift box for Joe and his wife. Their farm is so serene. I just love going out to visit.
He also grows just gorgeous jewel toned corn. The stalks grow about 12 or more feet high!! The ears weren’t dry yet so this is a photo from the internet. But it’s exactly the corn he grows.

Jump to this post

@loribmt Years ago I did a quilted wall-hanging in a stained glass style. It was based on a poem called "Dineh War God's Horse Song". It was a song of praise, describing the horse having a rainbow colored mane, teeth like shells, a head like the waters in the river, and ears like cobs of corn, etc. I had multi-colored corn fabric that was used, plus fabric that matched the other attributes. It was entered in to Quilt Visions 1996 [San Diego, CA] but never went beyond the submission stage.
Ginger

@sueinmn

@loribmt and @rosemarya Yes, you can get sterilized potting soil, then to keep stuff from growing on it and getting in the air, top it with a generous layer of aquarium gravel.
As for succulents, you can pot them in cactus mix, which looks like gravel and is far less likely to be contaminated. And they want to be in a very bright window and kept quite dry.
Sue

Jump to this post

Awesome Sue! Thank you! 🥰

@gingerw

@loribmt Years ago I did a quilted wall-hanging in a stained glass style. It was based on a poem called "Dineh War God's Horse Song". It was a song of praise, describing the horse having a rainbow colored mane, teeth like shells, a head like the waters in the river, and ears like cobs of corn, etc. I had multi-colored corn fabric that was used, plus fabric that matched the other attributes. It was entered in to Quilt Visions 1996 [San Diego, CA] but never went beyond the submission stage.
Ginger

Jump to this post

Oh Ginger, I bet it was gorgeous! I’m sorry others didn’t share the appreciation to have it go forward in exhibition. I know, you made it more for yourself but when you enter something you feel is noteworthy and not have it go further it stings a bit…

Please sign in or register to post a reply.