Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

I am Fran Harris and I think I am a member. I am not sure how to post my chronic pain. I recently was diagnosed withTarlov Cysts which can be operated on. Has anyone had Tarlov cysts. Has anyone had them surgically removed. Does Mayo doctors operate on Tarlov Cysts?

@francesmharris123

I am Fran Harris and I think I am a member. I am not sure how to post my chronic pain. I recently was diagnosed withTarlov Cysts which can be operated on. Has anyone had Tarlov cysts. Has anyone had them surgically removed. Does Mayo doctors operate on Tarlov Cysts?

Jump to this post

Hi Fran @francesmharris123, Anywhere you post is OK. There are some discussions on Tarlov Cysts that you might want to join and read through.

-- Looking for Input Re: Tarlov Cysts: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/looking-for-input-re-tarlov-cysts/
-- Recovery after surgery for Tarlov cyst: What to expect?: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/recovery-after-surgery-for-tarlov-cyst-what-to-expect/

If you would like to seek help from Mayo Clinic, contact one of the appointment offices. The contact information for Minnesota, Arizona and Florida can be found here http://mayocl.in/1mtmR63.

@tigreyes2004

Thank you Jim but I have looked into everything & nothing helps & from the people's stories I have read there is nothing out there.
I guess you just have to keep trying & take one day at a time.
I will look into it though. Anything is worth a try.
I went to PT & they said there was nothing they could do for Neuropathy.
I thought the water therapy would work but they told me it was just for overweight people so that didn't do me any good.
God bless genie

Jump to this post

Ok, Ginny, I know the feeling of nearly losing hope. If you haven't tried Amitriptyline, you might want too. My neuropathy pain has gotten worse, but the Amitrip still takes the edge off.
Art G.

Hi Art
Is that Lyrica? If it is. I am scared of it bc people say they give seizures.
What strength are you on?
I am just at a low point now bc everything that is wrong with me is unfixable.
I am dealing with scar tissue in the abdomen from previous surgeries & the last surgery was at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix.
I am so bad that the dr. said no more surgeries for adhesions, or it could be fatal.
Now I also have the Neuropathy pain that i getting worse.
I have bleeding ulcers & bowels issues & now I have to do a Colonoscopy.
I guess it is different now bc now oyu have to take Dulcolax tablets & MiraLAX with Gatorade.
I am just sick & tired of being in pain.
I guess I am just a little depressed at the moment.
Thank you Art & what strength is it & did oyu have any side effects?
Thanks again & God Bless
Genie

@tigreyes2004

Hi
My name is Genie.
I have Neueopathy in my feet & legs. I am on 900 mg of Gabapentin & 60 mg of Cymbalta. I keep increasing it & it just doesn't help.
I am at the point where I am pretty much homebound bc it is hard to walk for long periods of time.
I also have abdominal adhesions that I have from past endometriosis surgeries.
The pain is unbearable & I don't know what to do.
Any suggestions?

Jump to this post

I understand what you are going through. My neuropathy make want to pass out. I’m praying for you.

@pamelaz

I understand what you are going through. My neuropathy make want to pass out. I’m praying for you.

Jump to this post

Gabapentin doesn’t seem to be working for me either. Walking funny and involuntary jerking.

@pamelaz

Jump to this post

Thank you.
It just seems like there is nothing helpful for Neuropathy.
Even the pain dr. says there is nothing much you can do for it.
They have the stimulators but that is all I see except for Gabapentin & Lyrica.
The PT said they don't treat Neuropathy so what's left?
I think mind set is all you can do . You have to keep busy & do things to keep your mind off of it.
I try & do things sitting down mostly but I do clean the house in stages. One room at a time & I have OCD so everything has to be perfect.
Thank you everybody for tryig to help this helpless sole.
God Bless Genie

@pamelaz

Jump to this post

The only surface I have been able to let touch my skin is a fur coat I laid on my bed. The fur seems, by its lack of interruptions flowing surface is for the most part almost soothing. When my neuropathy is going full bore, it can seems like knives, but that is more the exception rather than the rule. If you don’t own a fur, check online for used furs. You can buy repurposed fur throws as well. I am having this one made into a throw.
So, I now have a question. I have a tumor growing at the base of my spine. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get relief from the pressure on the nerves there? I have an upcoming appointment with a neurosurgeon. In the meantime, it is killing me and is exponentially worse at night.
Thank you,
MaryS. Munro

@msmunro

The only surface I have been able to let touch my skin is a fur coat I laid on my bed. The fur seems, by its lack of interruptions flowing surface is for the most part almost soothing. When my neuropathy is going full bore, it can seems like knives, but that is more the exception rather than the rule. If you don’t own a fur, check online for used furs. You can buy repurposed fur throws as well. I am having this one made into a throw.
So, I now have a question. I have a tumor growing at the base of my spine. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get relief from the pressure on the nerves there? I have an upcoming appointment with a neurosurgeon. In the meantime, it is killing me and is exponentially worse at night.
Thank you,
MaryS. Munro

Jump to this post

I just had an upper epidermal in the neck.
I don't think it helped. I am going back to see if there is anything else that can be done.
Your Neuronopathy should be able to help you.
Do oyu take anything for it?
I get a knife life feeling in my right big toe which I find strange. A stabbing pain where I yell out.
I hope you get some answers.
God bless
Genie

@tigreyes2004

Thank you.
It just seems like there is nothing helpful for Neuropathy.
Even the pain dr. says there is nothing much you can do for it.
They have the stimulators but that is all I see except for Gabapentin & Lyrica.
The PT said they don't treat Neuropathy so what's left?
I think mind set is all you can do . You have to keep busy & do things to keep your mind off of it.
I try & do things sitting down mostly but I do clean the house in stages. One room at a time & I have OCD so everything has to be perfect.
Thank you everybody for tryig to help this helpless sole.
God Bless Genie

Jump to this post

@tigreyes2004 Hi Genie, I'm Rachel, it's nice to meet you. The best piece of advice I can give you is to work on how you can turn helpess into hopeful. Your soul may have to dig deep, but there is always hope as long as there's breath in our body. Mayo Connect is here to encourage hope by supporting with positivity.

I feel like you know answers about living with neuropathy and chronic pain, you just gave great examples of how and what needs to be done however I understand applying answers can be difficult.

@budo7 has wise words in this reply

https://connect.mayoclinic.org/comment/730750/

Meditation is helpful, along with diaphragmatic breathing and positive self talk. Have you tried any techniques to help calm your mind and body? What forms of distraction do you use?

Problem solving and strategizing are other important tools when dealing with chronic symptoms. PT "doesn't treat neuropathy" doesn't mean physical exercise and mobility can't help neuropathy and keep you from deconditioning. An expression Dr. Sletten from the Mayo Clinic Pain Rehabilitation Center says is -
"March before you feel like it".

You've got to make yourself move and do what you CAN instead of worrying about what you can't.

What type of exercises do you do? I like my morning stretch routine. Do you have a stretch routine?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.