Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

I've had 2 lumbar punctures. They are not bad. They numb your back. Do it. Only take a short time and if done right, bearable. No issues after either. I've also had 5 blood/glue patches in my spine that were worse and coming up are 2 more tests in my spine.
Mikayla

@linamend

Yes! I am! Just had another MRI. Brain seems to be lowering into the top of my spinal cord. Chronic daily headaches are fatiguing me...ugh. Neurologist wants to do lumbar puncture to check for CSF leak, but I'm not sure I want to go thru that. Lin

Jump to this post

As a healthcare professional (retired) there is no other way to assess a spinal fluid leak without an LP. It’s typically a pretty simple procedure for both patient and doctor. I’m curious about your resistance to have it done?

@jenatsky

As a healthcare professional (retired) there is no other way to assess a spinal fluid leak without an LP. It’s typically a pretty simple procedure for both patient and doctor. I’m curious about your resistance to have it done?

Jump to this post

I'm a medical professional also. Thanks! It's neither a simple, nor extraordinarily safe procedure. It's actually quite invasive, w possibly negative side effects. I've seen people faint and we had to catch them, w the needle still in. It takes a very experienced Practitioner to administer one. Both my other doctors nixed it as too invasive, and after reviewing my MRI some more and discussing it, my neurologist said we could skip it for now. But I really appreciate your input. Be well!
Lin Amendt, PhD

@rwinney

Hello Joan, @jmb73 just checking in to see how your appointment went with the neuro-spine surgeon on the 15th? I hope well. Is there a pain management plan? Can you begin PT yet?

Jump to this post

The neuro surgeon said my back wasn't bad enough for back surgery and the pain was from my hip. I have been to 3 hip surgeons and they won't operate even though I have lost weight. They claim it's too dangerous with my bad back! My neuro surgeon has referred me to an orthopedic and I see him on the 20th of Sept. I am hoping Medicare will pay for these doctors. I am shocked that it's not my back but this neuro- surgeon is supposed to be the best. I can't do PT because of my hip. Thanks for your concern,
Joan

Hello, I"m know as Peanut Williams was given the nickname at birth. I have 2 questions About year and half ago I had covid I din"nt know it so when we could get the shot here in north Carolina I got the first one every thing was ok I waited and got second one I don't remember anything for about 3-4 days I was in E_room Which I don"t rember at all put in a room and had partical recall of what was going on.I felt like some one was after me. I got up pulled every thing they had put in me out and hid int the room the nurses came in got me back like they wanted me. took A coupe days before I realize what was gong on, whether they were giving me drugs I don't know Any way I was there for 8-9 days and I got out of the Hospital . I really haven:t felt right since. I have Pain all the time Witch comes from bad knees and And lower back problems.some days I hurt a little some days a lot

@pnut

Hello, I"m know as Peanut Williams was given the nickname at birth. I have 2 questions About year and half ago I had covid I din"nt know it so when we could get the shot here in north Carolina I got the first one every thing was ok I waited and got second one I don't remember anything for about 3-4 days I was in E_room Which I don"t rember at all put in a room and had partical recall of what was going on.I felt like some one was after me. I got up pulled every thing they had put in me out and hid int the room the nurses came in got me back like they wanted me. took A coupe days before I realize what was gong on, whether they were giving me drugs I don't know Any way I was there for 8-9 days and I got out of the Hospital . I really haven:t felt right since. I have Pain all the time Witch comes from bad knees and And lower back problems.some days I hurt a little some days a lot

Jump to this post

Hi Peanut,
It sounds like you have some memory gaps about your experience in the hospital and possibly some scary hallucinary moments.

Were you in ICU while in hospital? Have you been diagnosed with long COVID? Is this pain new since your hospital experience?

I know that's a lot of questions. I ask so that I can connect to others here and in the right group.

@pnut

Jump to this post

Hello! Just a reminder for everyone that your medical record must be provided to you at your request per the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) in all Medicare funded hospitals (with rare exceptions). In my state, the hospitals will provide the medical record per your written request, and do not charge the patient if you state it is for "Continuity of Care." If you don't understand medical language well, perhaps a friend can assist you if they have a medical background.

Peanut, best wishes to feel better and to find a Practitioner who is able to sort through this with you.

@jmb73

The neuro surgeon said my back wasn't bad enough for back surgery and the pain was from my hip. I have been to 3 hip surgeons and they won't operate even though I have lost weight. They claim it's too dangerous with my bad back! My neuro surgeon has referred me to an orthopedic and I see him on the 20th of Sept. I am hoping Medicare will pay for these doctors. I am shocked that it's not my back but this neuro- surgeon is supposed to be the best. I can't do PT because of my hip. Thanks for your concern,
Joan

Jump to this post

@jmb73 What a bummer that your visit did not go as expected. I'm sorry about that, but honestly the less surgery the better. It seems like you are in a loop between which doctor will have a solid plan for you. I certainly hope you find your trip to the orthopedic doctor in September to be forward progress. In the meantime, are you able to exercise parts of your body, or walk to stay active?

Hi, I’m Jan and I’ve had severe headaches for one year now. They are not migrain. Pain is always there, but 325 mg of Tylenol give me relief for about 4 hours. That’s how I cope with it around the clock, 6 pills a day. I’ve had neck injections, lidocaine and last month, Botox. Neither changed the pain. Also had a test for killing a nerve and that didn’t work either. I’m researching Orthopedic Dr, John Sarno’s work on the nervous system. His first book, is Healing Back pain and there are numerous others he wrote. The syndrome is called Tension myositis, or TSM. Can’t report on its benefits as yet.

@rwinney

@jmb73 What a bummer that your visit did not go as expected. I'm sorry about that, but honestly the less surgery the better. It seems like you are in a loop between which doctor will have a solid plan for you. I certainly hope you find your trip to the orthopedic doctor in September to be forward progress. In the meantime, are you able to exercise parts of your body, or walk to stay active?

Jump to this post

I force myself to walk around the house but sometimes the pain is too great. I find that sitting too long causes severe pain when I stand up. I am on a diet but am at a plateau. I hope I start losing weight again. I contacted my PC and she has ordered a hospital bed for me. I hope it will go low enough so I can get in the bed. She gave me the name of an orthopedic that might help me. I really don't know what to do. Thanks for thinking of me.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.