Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

@vwindsor62

I tried the spinal cord stimulator, it didn't help me at all.

Jump to this post

It really depends on where and what type of pain you have. They only work on nerve pain in limbs only. They will not work on back pain.

@lioness

@tazscott Glad it's helping you my concern is how does it affect your thoughts ? So far I've replied for @against

Jump to this post

As far as thoughts. I think if it helps with your pain it is going to help improve your mood. Any help with discomfort is going to make your life better.

@vwindsor62

My name is Valerie Windsor and I have lumbar arachnoiditis and cervical neuropathy as well as hyperrflexia my pain is horrible. My nerve conduction study showed how much pain I'm living in, but still denied enough opioids to allow me a quality of life. I have been told that my condition was caused by a medical procedure gone wrong, and I know which procedures caused this. It was the spinal nerve block injections, yet I was forced to have them or my insurance would not authorize my prescription for oxymorphone; as well as the doctor would not write the prescription. I told my insurance and the doctors the injections were making me worse, yet I had to submit to them. My last nerve block injection was in January, right after I felt tingling on the top of my left foot and shortly after extreme pain in my left leg and now it's going on 6 months of horrible pain. Before that spinal injection in January my left leg had no pain. Before the spinal injections and after my spinal surgeries I only had pain in my right hip, after the injections my knees, right calf, bottom of my right foot, left hip, left knee, left thigh...I know there's something in that medication because there's no way every doctor is incompetent. I also was told of any possible adverse reaction to these spinal injections, I was only told I had to submit to them.
I have actually tried everything to combat the pain from, massage/physical therapy, tens-unit, acupuncture, surgery, spinal cord stimulation, ultrasound treatment, the horrible spinal injections, and all forms of non-opioid medication. The only relief I get is from opioids. The attack on opioids is bs, and never have I heard anyone defend them, for opioids are the only form of relief for most chronic pain patients
I can't keep living in this pain.
Since these opioid laws have now denied chronic pain patients Human Rights, Civil Rights, and taken away our HIPPA protection.

Chronic Pain Patients are the new Lepors (Leporsy) That is who we now identify with.
Valerie Windsor

Jump to this post

Be so careful with those injections they can weaken your bones and cause problems. Some people do well on them but I refuse because I saw how they did a number on my mom's hips. Just beware, but everything now days you have to be careful.My last doctor refused me my prescription because I wouldn't take the shots.

@seanivor

Hi Nurseheadakes, you are 100% correct, I enjoyed reading your post, yep its about making the most of a bad situation and keeping busy if possible and you just might improve unknown to yourself, keep up the positive posting, thanks Sean

Jump to this post

I totally agree. Distractions are a huge part of controlling your pain. Yes,everyone is going to say but I hurt. But keeping busy doing things you love can seriously do as much as any pain medications. Sitting and thinking of your pain intensifies the pain. It has been proven be thousands of studies. Mayo has a 10 weeks pain program that is very similar to they're pain rehabilitation program. No it doesn't ween you off pain meds like the rehabilitation program does. Joan who teaches it will teach you very useful techniques for better copping. I truely believe everyone should take these classes.

@lillee

Be so careful with those injections they can weaken your bones and cause problems. Some people do well on them but I refuse because I saw how they did a number on my mom's hips. Just beware, but everything now days you have to be careful.My last doctor refused me my prescription because I wouldn't take the shots.

Jump to this post

Totally true. Lots of injections will make your joints even worse over long term. I know they help and doctors push them. But great pain doctors will tell you the bad side effects of long term use. I used them for 20 years. My new pain doctor won't do anymore because he says I am just making it worse if I continue

Some great information there

@tazscott

I totally agree. Distractions are a huge part of controlling your pain. Yes,everyone is going to say but I hurt. But keeping busy doing things you love can seriously do as much as any pain medications. Sitting and thinking of your pain intensifies the pain. It has been proven be thousands of studies. Mayo has a 10 weeks pain program that is very similar to they're pain rehabilitation program. No it doesn't ween you off pain meds like the rehabilitation program does. Joan who teaches it will teach you very useful techniques for better copping. I truely believe everyone should take these classes.

Jump to this post

I agree. We all will eventually live with pain. I proved it to myself by just getting by with massages for pain relief and working around the house. Yes, I have a few pills for my migraines but that's all I have. No Tylenol, no aspirin, no Advil, no nothing since they all have been taken in the past and they contributed to my osteoporosis, GERD and hearing loss. I can do without and be the better of a person because I have a cleaner gut and my Liver thanks me for it. I sleep better and am awake all day long. I accomplish much more now than I use to as long as I keep moving. My husband and I have a schedule and we stick to it everyday. Its the best thing for you and your body. Discipline, flexibility, patience, and love.

@nurseheadakes

Chronic pain - most everyone has it including me. Fibromyalgia is the word I live with because of all of the MVAs I have had in the past. My brain remembers all of the contusions and comas and broken bones and can't make sense of it all - so it doesn't know how to release the pain sensation that I feel everyday. I have learned that even though I have taken every kind of pain med out there and tried every kind of biofeedback, they are only short term treatments. Finally, none of them worked for me. The medicines made me loopy, hallucinated, or groggy, or I just got no relief anymore. The biofeedback helps but needs to be used with other therapies. Gels, foams, water, sun, injections, and the host of other possible advertised and promoted are good when specifically targeted for short term treatment, pre-op treatment or post-op treatment. But then again, this is not for long term care. Tolerance to pain can be found in both the mind and how you want it to rule your life and in your body. I have pain all of the time but I don't let it rule my life. I rule it by doing things that say I am in command. I seek a bit of the sun, warmth, enough sleep for my body to rejuvenate, eat nourishing foods, laugh and smile daily, and when I need it - I have my massages. For the last 10+ years I have had massages every two weeks so that I can have relief of the decompression and helps with my circulatory system. Your blood is your life. With adequate fluid intake, which most Americans don't drink enough water.... should be water with lemons in it....we all are very dehydrated. Our bodies are made of fluid and we suffer because of we don't have enough of it.
Our pain - headaches are because we are dehydrated....first thing you need to do is drink a cup of water and see if that will take away your pain and then take your medicine. I have to remind myself to drink enough - just enough so my heart can take it...since I have to watch how much I drink. My lemon water is filled with pulp and is sour but it works for me. I have gotten use to it. Try it on a slow basis. Celery juice in the morning - results will be noticed by lab work and weight loss.
Pain will not go away entirely, but if you keep busy with moving around.,....dusting, washing the dishes, pulling weeds, walking to the mailbox and back, talking to your neighbor for 5 minutes, rearranging a drawer, or even going through your closet and donating something to the thrift shop down the road....there is much to do and so little time to do it all. Hop to it. If you haven't had a massage - there are plenty of places around to try. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/massage/art-20045743
https://www.amtamassage.org/professional_development/starting.html
Here are some interesting facts about the profession. I have been working with lots of them and know what they do for and with me. They even provide the CBD oils for your massages - which work very well. My last one was terrific and it was wonderful.
Any doubters - massages are for men and women....the price to pay is worth the time because it lasts. Put you mind to it. That's what counts.

Jump to this post

Dear Nurseheadaches. As I was reading your post it seemed to me as though I was reading my mind. Yes, Many of your life's experiences are as mine. So true. When nothing else can be done somehow very slowly some of the small problems work out. But still with much pain left over. I still suffer even after feeling very sorry for myself. The pain is still there. What can one do? Suicide? The will to live seems to be stronger as here I am. Still suffering and trying to be as busy as I can which sometimes helps somewhat. Busy, busy busy.

@tazscott

It really depends on where and what type of pain you have. They only work on nerve pain in limbs only. They will not work on back pain.

Jump to this post

@tazscott Thanks for this information that it works on nerves

Me too - soda and all those pop stuff don't do me any good. If you look at what those companies put in them - one can wonder why everyone has so many illnesses and obesity because of how much they drink, etc. Think about what the children are facing now, especially the autism that I bet has alot to do with the poisons that are out there.

All of our family was brought up on natural foods, where we made thing homemade without having to buy things from a store. I remember the tastes back then that you can't find today because of all the cross pollinating and re-defining fruits and vegetables to make sure they aren't lost to diseases. No wonder our waters are polluted and our foods carry so much 'poison' in them. Mr WIlliams talks about this in his books. I soak my produce with soda bicarb and that helps to clean them before I eat them. Something we didn't do years ago but now I do. There are directions in his book on all those different disorders you can check out and find what you can do to help yourself. It's amazing really.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.