Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

@lioness

@mamacita Thats when I was also with fibromyalgia its been a tough road hasn't it We are all warriors

Jump to this post

@lioness, were you told there was nothing wrong with you, for years, as I was? Or that it was depression? I believe I had it even as a child. My legs would hurt so badly, and I would get exhausted easily. The doctor called it "growing pains."

@mamacita

@lioness, were you told there was nothing wrong with you, for years, as I was? Or that it was depression? I believe I had it even as a child. My legs would hurt so badly, and I would get exhausted easily. The doctor called it "growing pains."

Jump to this post

@mamacita Good evening yes when I was diagnosed by rheumatologist ,he new what I had but yes other Dr,s said its all in your head and yes growing pains sounds familiar. I went to a fibromyalgia support group they had a lot of good information One I can remember is to do isometric exercises first thing when you get up and during day when muscles tightened I still do that especially at night before bed.

@barbarn

@lioness - what's tapping?

Jump to this post

@barbarn Sorry for the late reply Emotional Freedom Technique You first do alot of tapping on your little finger saying certain things then tap on the 7 points of contact ,the meridians within you There's, a better explanation on Tapping.com and you tube/tapping I have used this for years and its surprising how much it has helped.

@mamacita

@karen00, I am so sorry I went overboard on the suggestions! And I really wasn't trying to make you do any of those things. I just worded it wrong. Those are things that work for me, among others, and I hoped that you could try some of them. Music is my go-to, always, always, always. I play several instruments (don't practice nearly enough) Some days I have to drag out all kinds of things to distract myself from pain. Whatever works! Love and light!

Mamacita

Jump to this post

@mamacita you have NOTHING to apologize for and I’ll say it again if I have to! I am actually taking one of your suggestions right now! Actually 2! I am listening to music - I have recently rediscovered the Stones! How crazy is that! And I am on Amazon. Do you remember that song “The Midnight Rider”? Well I’m the “Midnight Shopper”. I’m always up late perusing Amazon. Now remember I never felt you went overboard on the suggestions. NEVER..we are compadres in this fight!

@wsh66

It's an algorithm. There are several incarnations of Thought Field Therapy. The only one I know to be valuable is I believe Thought Field Therapy. Google it. I was in the middle of a major depressive episode. And my psychologist turned me onto tapping. I did it for two days and all the intrusive thoughts went away. I started sleeping at night again. I've never seen anything so powerful in my lifetime. I still have a paper around here on it but I haven't had to use it since. We also use tapping and the exercises preparing to do Qi gong exercises in a group and we use it to harvest our energy when we are finishing an exercise session. I will try to find my information and tell you which version I encountered. My psychologist told me that there are many many imitators because the person who came up with this patented it and that as far as he knew the imitators did not work like the original. It will seem weird to you when they tell you to roll your eyes in the hum but believe me this stuff works. It works for depression and other psychotropic situations, and it supposedly works for pain although I haven't tried it for that I should. I hope to get more information to you soon.

Jump to this post

@wsh66 Thank you for explaining to barbarn Dr.Patricia Carrington is a psychologist and tapping expert .I get information from Nick Ortner who did the video on EFT .

@lioness

@mamacita Good evening yes when I was diagnosed by rheumatologist ,he new what I had but yes other Dr,s said its all in your head and yes growing pains sounds familiar. I went to a fibromyalgia support group they had a lot of good information One I can remember is to do isometric exercises first thing when you get up and during day when muscles tightened I still do that especially at night before bed.

Jump to this post

When they say it is all in your head they're blaming you for their inability to identify the problem that you have. Plain and simple. As a pain patient I am very Vigilant as to my state of mind and whether or not depression is creeping back in or not. Depression and pain are not the same thing however being depressed when you have pain will change the way you experience that pain and will make it much worse and much harder to deal with.. if a if a doctor tells you they think you're depressed it's certainly worth inspecting that idea and and answering for yourself whether or not you might be depressed. Remember depression is not about what happens to us, depression is about the way we think about what has happened to us. Now I'm going to go and take my antidepressants. There should be no more shame involved with having depression than there is in having pain. It's all the same. Love and blessings.

@patrick17

I would like to echo what you said about taking pain meds when you need them. I don’t like taking them either so I tried to cut back just a little on the opioids I take. When I did take less, my pain was AWFUL! I would begin having very dark thoughts. When I take just 10 mg more I feel so much better for hours. I pray to God that someday I won’t need pain meds, but for now I have no choice about taking them.

Jump to this post

@patrick17 Dont make yourself feel that way maybe you need to stay where you are to get pain relief Everyone is different in there tolerance.

@karen00

@mamacita Hey Mamacita, I cried when I read your post (good tears!). Thank you so much for the suggestions! I had to laugh when you mentioned Amazon because I am guilty of “midnight shopping” pretty often! I loved it when you talked about your ancestry. I learned something. Oh and you talked about playing my music - music is part of my soul and I can’t live without it so I ALWAYS have music playing. I love it! You hit the nail on the head with that suggestion, too. Again, thanks a million for taking the time to reply. You have made me feel hope.....Karen

Jump to this post

The only reason I made the post about avoiding making suggestions was because of the guidelines that were set down by the people who sponsor these web chats. We participate, we use their format, we should at least try to follow their rules and request.

@wsh66

When they say it is all in your head they're blaming you for their inability to identify the problem that you have. Plain and simple. As a pain patient I am very Vigilant as to my state of mind and whether or not depression is creeping back in or not. Depression and pain are not the same thing however being depressed when you have pain will change the way you experience that pain and will make it much worse and much harder to deal with.. if a if a doctor tells you they think you're depressed it's certainly worth inspecting that idea and and answering for yourself whether or not you might be depressed. Remember depression is not about what happens to us, depression is about the way we think about what has happened to us. Now I'm going to go and take my antidepressants. There should be no more shame involved with having depression than there is in having pain. It's all the same. Love and blessings.

Jump to this post

@wsh66
Good morning!
I personally believe that there are multiple forms of depression under 2 categories. One category is depression caused by genetics. This kind, is something in your genetic make-up that pre-disposes you to the disease. Category two is depression caused by situations.

As a sufferer of chronic pain, I feel that I have suffered from a form of situational depression. When I have non-stop pain, I get depressed from all the things that I have to exclude from my life. This impacts the quality of my life and therefore, can depress me for some time. My dad suffered from depression so I am sure I have a predisposition to it, as well.

You are right, regardless, if it is noted by someone, it should be checked out. It is my experience that some people who are depressed don't see. Why? Either they don't want to, they've been depressed so long that they don't recognize it in themselves or they are embarrassed and see it as a weakness.

As you may be aware, many people have bouts of depression during this time of year. My local TV stations are showing commercials discussing the signs of depression and how to get help. Recently, there have been a couple of murders by people who were in a depressed state, including a security officer who murdered his wife, daughter and granddaughter.But I believe the truth is that when individuals find out a person suffers from depression or anxiety, the 'sick' person is looked at differently.

Sorry for getting so off topic!
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

What you say is true. Some people don't want to admit to having depression because they think of it as a sign of weakness or a sign of poor character. Which of course we know neither is true. I have the depression genes running through my family. It's the situational depression that really is affected by how we look at what has happened to us. Even if pain or other medical situations have taken away a lot of the things that we do in our lives we can still see our lives as valuable, see the people around us as valuable, and see what we have left. We can focus on what we have left and find a complete life within those parameters. I refuse to let pain cause my depression even though I know or because I know that depression will exacerbate my pain I work very hard the focus on what I have left as opposed to what I've lost. Between psychologist, drugs, and bibliotherapy we have a large Arsenal of things we can turn to to fight depression. We have to keep in mind that life is a wonderful thing regardless of the situation in which one finds oneself. If we consider our lives measured against the lives of people around the world we're still pretty damn lucky even if we live with pain. Yes there been times when I thought not living would be better than living with pain and the other things that haunt me but in the final analysis I've seen my way clear to being a pretty happy guy despite the fact that I have to endure a certain amount of pain in life. My heart goes out to those who suffer from depression and cannot accept that and as a result can not seek help or take advantage of the three treatment modalities I mentioned .

Please sign in or register to post a reply.