Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

@lioness

@barbarn Sorry for the late reply Emotional Freedom Technique You first do alot of tapping on your little finger saying certain things then tap on the 7 points of contact ,the meridians within you There's, a better explanation on Tapping.com and you tube/tapping I have used this for years and its surprising how much it has helped.

Jump to this post

@lioness - thank you! I will go to "Tapping.com"!!!!

@colleenyoung

@karen00 don't be embarrassed. You needed a virtual shoulder and you came to the right place. Now you have several shoulders to lean on, and you in turn can be the shoulder when someone else needs it.

By the way, to see all the posts you made, simply click on your @name. This will take you to your profile where you can see the groups you follow, your post activity, your badges, etc. You can also edit your profile: add an image, bio etc and set your notification preferences. Find out more here: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/get-started-on-connect/

Jump to this post

@colleen young. Hi Colleen. ! First in your reply to my question you said click on my name, but where ? Secondly, I didn’t really talk about everything that’s been going on and I need to. I’ve had a swollen leg for about 9 months now. It’s so bad it’s hard to get into a car seat. Also I have cellulitis in it. Also it weeps lymphatic fluid - it’s called lymphedema. I have to sit with my feet on towels it’s so bad. I go through 3 or 4 bath towels a day. I’m getting ready to see a physical therapist who handles lymphedema. Plus there’s the problem of my knee that I injured when I passed out. I can barely walk and the pain keeps me awake. This is on top of the fact that both knees need to be replaced but I have to lose some weight first (which I’m doing). My left shoulder was replaced last year and my right shoulder needs to be replaced ASAP. My right arm is virtually useless. So I have 3 limbs that are giving me pain because they need to be replaced. Plus I have fibro which causes a lot of short term memory loss and confusion. Plus there is the heart failure and the clot in my lung. So please don’t take this as complaining as I have my brother- thank God - who helps me. And extremely supportive friends. I just felt it was time I quit hiding everything. If you’ve gotten to this point, thanks for taking the time to read this. Thanks Connector members!

@barbarn

@lioness - thank you! I will go to "Tapping.com"!!!!

Jump to this post

@barbarn your welcome hope you try it sometimes you have to stay with it awhile to help with your problem.

Hi. My name is Mary Ann. I am 69 years old. I had a bad knee replacement with a DePuy Attune prosthesis. The tibial portion loosened. I subsequently had a total revision by another very reputable ortho. surgeon and have been in chronic pain now for close to 3 years. I have tried many anti inflammatory drugs, heat and cold ablation, PT several times and now am try osteopathic manipulation and acupuncture. I take Tramadol once a day and Gabapentin 200 mg although my pain mgt MD suggests THC. I saw a Naturopathic Doctor about THC and she ordered tincture, but I can't seem to tolerate it. Any advice? Until this happened, I was in very good physical and emotional health. Now, my life has definitely taken a turn for the worse.

@karen00

@colleen young. Hi Colleen. ! First in your reply to my question you said click on my name, but where ? Secondly, I didn’t really talk about everything that’s been going on and I need to. I’ve had a swollen leg for about 9 months now. It’s so bad it’s hard to get into a car seat. Also I have cellulitis in it. Also it weeps lymphatic fluid - it’s called lymphedema. I have to sit with my feet on towels it’s so bad. I go through 3 or 4 bath towels a day. I’m getting ready to see a physical therapist who handles lymphedema. Plus there’s the problem of my knee that I injured when I passed out. I can barely walk and the pain keeps me awake. This is on top of the fact that both knees need to be replaced but I have to lose some weight first (which I’m doing). My left shoulder was replaced last year and my right shoulder needs to be replaced ASAP. My right arm is virtually useless. So I have 3 limbs that are giving me pain because they need to be replaced. Plus I have fibro which causes a lot of short term memory loss and confusion. Plus there is the heart failure and the clot in my lung. So please don’t take this as complaining as I have my brother- thank God - who helps me. And extremely supportive friends. I just felt it was time I quit hiding everything. If you’ve gotten to this point, thanks for taking the time to read this. Thanks Connector members!

Jump to this post

As a fellow lymphedema patient I think seeing the PT will help you. I have to wrap from my toes to my crotch, 23 hours of everyday. During that 24th hour I and my wife both work on a special form of massage to get the fluids where they need to go. I used to wrap in 5 layers of fleece, foam, and ace bandages with a big stockinette underneath it all. It was a pain but the alternative was worse. Blisters, ulcers and infections. I now use a toe glove and a full length legging that I can don myself every morning. At night I wear a one piece quilted compression garment that I can also handle by myself. It's a little pricey but effective and comfortable. We still need to massage everyday. If you should need to wrap I have found the best source out there price wise. Compression Guru is a great source and they have very knowledgeable staff. If you ever need more info on wrapping or lymphedema in general send me a direct message. Make sure that the PT you see has a lot of experience with lymphedema. Good luck

This is a link for Gene testing. They can tell which meds your body can best digest for both pain and psychotropic drugs. You can end the crap shoot search for a drug that works for you by having this test done.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?hl=en&shva=1#inbox/FMfcgxwBTjzqbzvQQnxRTjfRKGsgdMXt

I and my son have both had the testing done and are benefiting from the results. Check to see if your insurance covers it or ask what it will cost. If you have government insurance I believe you will find it is covered but be sure to ask. My son has MAand I have medicare and a really good gap policy so it was free for us. This is the future of medicine. Many people don't treat their depression because they have tried drugs that didn't work. It's really great when you find the one that does. Good luck, Love and Blessings

@maryann1753

Hi. My name is Mary Ann. I am 69 years old. I had a bad knee replacement with a DePuy Attune prosthesis. The tibial portion loosened. I subsequently had a total revision by another very reputable ortho. surgeon and have been in chronic pain now for close to 3 years. I have tried many anti inflammatory drugs, heat and cold ablation, PT several times and now am try osteopathic manipulation and acupuncture. I take Tramadol once a day and Gabapentin 200 mg although my pain mgt MD suggests THC. I saw a Naturopathic Doctor about THC and she ordered tincture, but I can't seem to tolerate it. Any advice? Until this happened, I was in very good physical and emotional health. Now, my life has definitely taken a turn for the worse.

Jump to this post

@maryann1753 . Good afternoon. I have had a knee replacement also. It was well done and I recovered quickly. According to my neurologist, the fascia around the knee became restrictive. All of a sudden it became cranky and painful after my morning walk. At this point, I have two questions. 1. Have you experienced or heard of MFR, Myofascial Pain Release therapy. It is a way of releasing the restrictions around the knee. 2. Are you now or have you tried using a mixed dosage of medical cannabis that includes CBD, for example, 2:1 or 2 parts CBD to 1 part THC. CBD appears to have the ability to reduce inflammation in concert with the THC. I now use a 2:1 CBD/THC dose in the morning and a 1:1 CBD/THC in the afternoon. I also use a topical of 3:1 CBD/THC at bedtime. Here is a link that discusses dosage amounts for different desired results https://cannabis.net/blog/medical/what-are-cbdthc-ratios-and-their-benefits Hope this info is helpful. Be safe and hopefully have a pain free day.

@wsh66

As a fellow lymphedema patient I think seeing the PT will help you. I have to wrap from my toes to my crotch, 23 hours of everyday. During that 24th hour I and my wife both work on a special form of massage to get the fluids where they need to go. I used to wrap in 5 layers of fleece, foam, and ace bandages with a big stockinette underneath it all. It was a pain but the alternative was worse. Blisters, ulcers and infections. I now use a toe glove and a full length legging that I can don myself every morning. At night I wear a one piece quilted compression garment that I can also handle by myself. It's a little pricey but effective and comfortable. We still need to massage everyday. If you should need to wrap I have found the best source out there price wise. Compression Guru is a great source and they have very knowledgeable staff. If you ever need more info on wrapping or lymphedema in general send me a direct message. Make sure that the PT you see has a lot of experience with lymphedema. Good luck

Jump to this post

@wsh66 Hi there, wow ! Thanks for all that good information! I am fairly new here and don’t know how to send a direct message if you could help me with that it would be greatly appreciated.

@lioness

@barbarn your welcome hope you try it sometimes you have to stay with it awhile to help with your problem.

Jump to this post

@lioness - the video is kinda' lengthy - well - 18 minits - but I'll watch when I have more time. Anxious to try it!!!!

@karen00

Jump to this post

@karen00 - your post brought tears to my eyes - makes me ashamed for complaining! @lioness suggested trying Emotional Freedom Technique - sounds like something you might want/like to do also!?! It's Tapping.com.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.