Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

For those who are interested in using CBD as a pain or anxiety reliever, here are two websites that provide excellent quality products and one has an extensive educational programs that are free. One series of the education programs helps each person determine their own dosage for their problems.

1. http://www.cbdlivingwater.org — has good products. I used the Living Water to help me withdraw from Tramadol.

2. https://mjstherapeutics.org — this is where I purchased my CBD Daily tincture. It's an excellent quality product and they have others you can order online.

3. https://healer.com/about-us/ educational programs. I need to take their education programs and determine the correct dosage for my arthritis and radiculopathy pain.

These are good sites with reliable products and information. I have tested these links now and they work.

Gail
Volunteer Mentor

@TonyHart87

A "young" chronic pain sufferer here. I'm 30 but have had pain (most likely) due to a ganglion cyst in my right hand/wrist for the last 2 years. I've had the cyst "popped" once using a needle through ultrasound guidance and it provided relief for a few months but has worsened with time. I have tweaked exercises to reduce pain on it and have cut way down on riding my bicycle though am frustrated that days in which I spend with my 17 month old daughter that I pick her up a lot leave me with throbbing pain for the next few days that gradually gets better. Ibuprofen and Aleve help with the pain but it's something that will only be healed if I surgically get the cyst removed. Has anyone else had surgery to help deal with a pain issue? What finally made you take the surgery plunge?

Jump to this post

Hi,
I am not familiar with ganglkon cysts and thus cannot understand your hesitation to have it removed. What is the success rate, what are possible complications and how common are they ?
I have mulitiple pain issues - mostly knee and back. Back surgery is notorious for being able to correct the problem but not necessarily the pain. I was told that I am not ready for surgery on my knee and beca5of my history, the surgeon whom I consulted wouldn't operate on me anyway. So for me, the possibility of successful surgeru is just a pipedream. I suspect uour outlook is much better. Can theu keep fraining the cyst? I have had several cysts removed over the years but they were never ganglion cysts tl my knowlege. Wish I could help you more. I will watch for other repies.
Marcy

@TonyHart87

A "young" chronic pain sufferer here. I'm 30 but have had pain (most likely) due to a ganglion cyst in my right hand/wrist for the last 2 years. I've had the cyst "popped" once using a needle through ultrasound guidance and it provided relief for a few months but has worsened with time. I have tweaked exercises to reduce pain on it and have cut way down on riding my bicycle though am frustrated that days in which I spend with my 17 month old daughter that I pick her up a lot leave me with throbbing pain for the next few days that gradually gets better. Ibuprofen and Aleve help with the pain but it's something that will only be healed if I surgically get the cyst removed. Has anyone else had surgery to help deal with a pain issue? What finally made you take the surgery plunge?

Jump to this post

@tonyhart2016 Why don't you have the surgery that's the cure for ganglion cyst in the olden days a person would drop a heavy book on it but it came back you have to have the membrane removed also and that can only be done with surgery

@TonyHart87

Jump to this post

@TonyHart87, I had a ganglion cyst surgically removed from my right wrist 25-30 years ago.
After watching it and feeling the hurt for years, my doc sent me to see the orthopedic surgeon when it became painful. He told me that if he popped ti, it would likely come back, so I opted for the surgery. I have never regretted it, I cannot remember how long it took to be 'better than' normal.
Rosemary

@TonyHart87

Jump to this post

@TonyHart87 So sorry. I had one on my foot which they froze and used a needle to pop it. It went away. I was lucky it has not returned. I did have a friend who had one removed from her hand years ago. It has never returned. Her's had gotten to be the size of large walnut. I wish you best.
Jackie

@carolinapearl53

Hello, my name I’d diane. I have had problems with pain for over 30 years. I finally had my leg pain narrowed down to my back. My fibro was diagnosed about 5 years ago. Now I am being treated with fentanyl and Norco. In 2014 I found out I have arachnoiiditis. A very bad thing for me, there is no cure. I realize that there are a lot of fuss about opioids, but without them I don’t believe I would be able to function. Thanks for this site that I may find another soul with my problems!

Jump to this post

@carolinapearl53, if you have not had a chance yet, you may find it worth your time to check out the following discussion on fibromyalgia pain and how other members are managing it, https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/fibromyalgia-pain-28e002/.

@TonyHart87

Jump to this post

@rosemarya, Thanks so much for the response. Did they have to put you under for it? It's sounding like the right option is to just get it removed.

@lioness, It's more within the hand so never really had much a lump for it to be a "Bible bump". As far as part of the hesitation to have the surgery, it goes back to the old medical saying of "how much are willing to pay to make it better". Some days the answer is "a lot" and other days it's "very little". I have good insurance but the out of pocket max is still a decent amount.

@marcyk, if you drain it they usually come back, especially if you've done it before. Unsure about success rate but I imagine it's pretty high at Mayo Clinic. I'm sorry to hear that your back pain can't be treated with surgery.

@carolinapearl53

Hello, my name I’d diane. I have had problems with pain for over 30 years. I finally had my leg pain narrowed down to my back. My fibro was diagnosed about 5 years ago. Now I am being treated with fentanyl and Norco. In 2014 I found out I have arachnoiiditis. A very bad thing for me, there is no cure. I realize that there are a lot of fuss about opioids, but without them I don’t believe I would be able to function. Thanks for this site that I may find another soul with my problems!

Jump to this post

@carolinapearl53 have you looked at gailb ,s post on CBD it's on this page

@TonyHart87

Jump to this post

@TonyHart87, My cyst was on the wrist joint on palm side below the thumb. My surgery was outpatient surgery. I remember that they used a nerve block in my arm to deaden the surgical pain. And they must have given me something to put me in a sleeplike state. I remember wearing a brace of some sort until the stitches came out.
Rosemary

@TonyHart87

Jump to this post

@TonyHart87 Hi Tony:

I can certainly understand your less than enthusiastic approach to surgery - and I can fully appreciate the phrase, "how much are willing to pay to make it better." Four years ago I had surgery to help with a paralyzed vocal cord. I put off that surgery for years but finally the fatigue from trying to talk with only one vocal cord and the constant hoarse voice helped me to accept the reality (and risks) of the surgery. All worked out well for me when the doc put the implant in the paralyzed vocal cord. I can now talk as much as I want (may not be the greatest gift to the world) but at least I'm not so fatigued and do not sound so sickly.

I hope you make the best decision for yourself - we all know how much pain and/or inconvenience it will take before we take the plunge to make things better. I'm sure you will know the right time as well.

Teresa

Please sign in or register to post a reply.